How toTie a Quickstop

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillm

I can make my own hair rigs using a hook tyer. I'm going to buy some quickstops, but how do I tie them on??? afro.gif

steveevans9

Hi tie the hair rig using knot less knot and just thread the quick stop on to the loop before you tie knot some one will explain a lot better im sure lol try the link belowof previous threads
http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=-1&TOPIC_ID=106743&REPLY_ID=1022745

getfishing

Pete
You just slide the quickstop on the line first, then you form a loop with the line with the quickstop in the loop and tie a small loop. Then just put the other end of the line through the back of the eye and tie the knotless knot as usual.

paulod

Site Supporter
There are a few ways, this is mine.
Tie the hook on as normal, leaving about six inches of line 'below' the hook. Put the end of this extra bit twice through the quickstop and slide it down towards the hook, I usually leave about one centimetre space between the hook and the quickstop. Then fasten a couple of 'grannie' knots to lock it in place and add a drop of superglue to the knot for security.
Others will no doubt have their own ideas,,,but this works for me [:W]

By the way, I start my turns on the hook opposite the point and wind back up to the eye, it's usually about a dozen turns with .16 line. I then pull the quickstop round so the line sits 'inside' the bend. This way the bait is held nicely in line with the hook [:)]

getfishing

Pete
Originally posted by Paul od

There are a few ways, this is mine.
Tie the hook on as normal, leaving about six inches of line 'below' the hook. Put the end of this extra bit twice through the quickstop and slide it down towards the hook, I usually leave about one centimetre space between the hook and the quickstop. Then fasten a couple of 'grannie' knots to lock it in place and add a drop of superglue to the knot for security.
Others will no doubt have their own ideas,,,but this works for me [:W]

By the way, I start my turns on the hook opposite the point and wind back up to the eye, it's usually about a dozen turns with .16 line. I then pull the quickstop round so the line sits 'inside' the bend. This way the bait is held nicely in line with the hook [:)]
With that the quickstop is going through the bait at the same time as the knot, if you use a loop, the knot will go through with the needle, so there is a smaller hole in the bait and sometimes with pellets the knot to the quickstop will be cut because the knot is going through at the same time as the quickstop.

AndyJ

With that the quickstop is going through the bait at the same time as the knot, if you use a loop, the knot will go through with the needle, so there is a smaller hole in the bait and sometimes with pellets the knot to the quickstop will be cut because the knot is going through at the same time as the quickstop.

I use a small loop as well for that very reason.

~A

paulod

Site Supporter
Yes, I acknowledge that can happen in principle, but it never has for me, and I find my method makes it easier to set the hair length as I want it. Can I assume you tie the loop first, before attaching the hook? The problem with this for me is the length of line needed when you're setting up a 'straight through' rig. Maybe it's because I'm cack-handed, but I find it a pain. each to their own though.
I also prefer a single piece of line on the hair, but this probably bothers me more than the fish.
I always pre-drill hard pellet with a bit that makes just the right sized hole too. I'll dig one out and give you the size, if you like. Onwards and upwards. [:)][:)]

Hatman

Drawbag ace
I favour the small loop. I start a figure of 8 loop with the stop in the loop. Then put a needle or pin though either of the O's in the '8' before tightening & with practice you'll find that you can then move the figure of 8 knot right up to the quickstop. Remove needle and tighten & you'll have a quickstop moving freely in a tiny loop - small enough to hair rig a micro pellet band to a size 20!

Status
Not open for further replies.