How to...............

feldri

Site Supporter
I've got 6 topkits that have wraps for a side puller. What is the best way to drill the hole for the puller bush.
Some say use a conical stone bit in a Dremel, others say use different drill bits, and others even say use a pillar drill.
So, which way do you guys do it, or is it a case of getting it professionally done? :unsure:

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Start with a pilot hole with say a sharp 2mm bit then use a grinding stone for the likes of Preston and Colmic/vespe bushes as you can buy the exact tool to do it.

tedstriker

Site Supporter
used a standard drill to fit the map bushes in mine, started with a 3mm drill then went to 7mm for the actual hole, what bushes are you going to be fitting?

feldri

Site Supporter
The topkits are for a browning pole. At the moment I've got two map ptfe side puller bushes that require a 7mm hole and I've got 4 browning puller bushes on order that require a 4.5mm slot. The browning bushes come with a stick-on template for drilling. I'm quite handy in a diy sort of way but never attempted drilling expensive carbon. A bit nervous about destroying a topkit or three before I get it right.

tedstriker

Site Supporter
put a piece of dowel or hose pipe up the top kit so that when you drill thru you don't push all the way thru, don't push on the drill let it naturally make the hole

feldri

Site Supporter
I've never used pullers before as I don't fish for carp. Last summer I hooked into a 2lb perch which gave me a run-around for a good 15 mins before I finally got it in the net. Thought a puller would have got it in a bit faster and safer. I use Preston Slip elastics in sizes 8, 6 and 5, ( black blue and yellow.) I've caught plenty of roach and bream etc; without a problem, but that perch was a very angry fish.

Kojak

I do all my own and it’s simple, masking tape a few wraps around where you want to drill the hole then simply drill a pilot hole with 2 or 3mm standard drill bit then (in my case) a 7mm drill bit to form the finished hole. Just make sure that you don’t drill straight through the opposite side?

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I was a bit daunted the first time I drilled holes in a top kit, but after the first time it becomes second nature and you will wonder what the fuss is about. I use a 3 mm drill bit to make a pilot hole then 7 mm drill bit and finish with Preston Rolla Drilla Kit as @tedstriker says there is no need to put any weight onto the drill, just let the drill bit cut into the carbon slowly rather than boring a hole if that makes sense.

Before you know it, you will be fitting roller pullers to all your top kits. (y)

feldri

Site Supporter
Would using a pillar drill be safer than holding topkit in one hand and power drill in the other? Plus, you can set the depth on a pillar drill thus ensuring you don't go through the other side.

Scribe

Site Supporter
If you have a pillar drill available, I take it you have a vice to hold the top kit in when drilling, otherwise you are still holding the top kit in one hand whilst operating the pillar drill with the other. I would just be cautious about having top kit in a vice/holder.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
you can set the depth on the pillar drill but it can still spin up the drill as you are breaking through and go through the other side..... :smash2:

Scribe

Site Supporter
Do you have any older top kits kicking round that you could try a dry run on ? Given then number of drills you have at your disposal, you should be a master driller. I am bringing my top kits round for you to fit roller pullers to.

Scribe

Site Supporter
I'm very surprised your asking how to do it then

I get it after top kits are not cheap and if you are not used to drilling carbon, it can seem like a daunting thing to do, until you have done it after that it's a doddle.

jasonb

Account Locked
I get it after top kits are not cheap and if you are not used to drilling carbon, it can seem like a daunting thing to do, until you have done it after that it's a doddle.

Pulling his leg

jasonb

Account Locked
When it comes to drilling carbon...he who dares Rodney, he who dares?