How to use line clip properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

perchlover

Hi all. Well, had a great weekend fishing and ledgered for the first time, which went like a dream. Was just wondering how to use a line clip, so I can cast in the same spot.

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Cast to the area you wish to fish and move the rod to the position you normally use, then clip.
Next time you cast out move the rod to the final position before the ledger lands. This will ensure as it sinks it will be in the same spot every time...ish. Some anglers do the same thing by lifting the rod tip overhead or even slightly behind them, each to his own. Try both ways you'll find the method best for you.
[:T]
p.s watch out for monsters when using the line clip, it can get dodgy if a fish goes on a decent run. You can use a rubber band instead or fit a rubber band to the line clip. [:W]

Last edited:

davebike

Not sure if this will make sence but here goes
When casting with line clip stop the rod close to vertical
Cast to where you want if trying to get close to snag or island drop short and pay out a few meters then clip up repeat until on the money it can be easer to do this with just a straight lead no hook or feeder
Once you have the range line in the clip add hook bait feeder etc cast again stoping rod vertical when the gear hits lower rod to rest tighten line
Make sure you line is up to using a clip and degrease with washing up liquid if line tends to float

Vipersport

Sonik+Stickybaits
Don't know if I quite understand the above reply? (Brian's)
You shouldn't leave your line clipped up AFTER the cast, as you'll have no free line to play the fish.
When I need to re-cast, to renew a bait etc, I pull off a bit of line (roughly equivalent to the depth I'm fishing), then clip up and reel in.
The extra line allows for the bait falling through the water towards you, after you hit the clip on the cast. If you want to regularly re-cast to the same spot, you should mark your line with some tape, or whatever, immediately after your initial cast.
Hope this helps
[:T]

Last edited:

greentura

Greenie
first cast to where you want to fish, then tie a stop knot where you will have your line clipped up and when you have cast out un clip the line and when you need to get it to the right place just wind back to the stop knot and clip up again[:T]

when you cast with the line clipped up bring the rod up in the air and let it cushion the lead down at the end so you don't crack off then let your lead or feeder fall through the water until it settles before you unclip then put it in the rests and tighten up[:T]

PorkRocker

I find that if im fishing at distance you tend to get a few turns on the reel anyway as you tighten the line up/sink the line so you get that little bit of a bend in the quivver. I've never had a problem with the line clip snapping my line because of fish runs. Just make sure you give it a bit of hammer at first and pull the fish towards you. This should be easy because at that distance the weight and power of the fish is distributed across the entire length of the line and if using mono you'll get quite abit of stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.