How to stop worrying...

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
You stop worrying, then you start to worry again because you wonder why nothing's worrying you anymore.
shrug 2.gif

Total

Site Supporter
For those who fancy a go at meditation, but don't fancy the whole Hari Krishna caboodle, try this:

Lie flat on your back with your arms by your sides and your legs uncrossed. It is OK to do this in bed.
Relax and breathe as normally as you can, but try to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.
(If you can't do this, just breathe as you normally do)
Count your breaths. Try not to think of anything except breathing in and out. (If your brain side-tracks you, and it will, just
drop the thought and get back to breathing.)
When you get to 20 breaths Try to imagine in your mind what you look like lying there in bed (as if you were standing nearby)
When you have that picture in your head, try to 'pan out' so you are looking at the roof of your house from above.
When you have that picture, 'pan out' again so you can see all the houses in your street.
Then all the streets in your local area.
Then your whole town.
Then pan out so you can see your town fade into a map of England.
Then pan out so you can see the world as if from orbit.
Then pan again until Earth is a 'Blue Marble'
Keep going out until it is just a dot.
Keep going until you can see the whole of our solar system.
Keep going until even our solar system becomes a dot in a spiral arm of our galaxy.
...until you can see multiple galaxies.

Take a moment to marvel at how incredibly huge and wonderful the universe really is.

Then zoom back in rapidly jumping through as many stages as you can remember, until you are
back in your bed.

Take another moment to digest what you have just seen.

...and relax.
You been eating out of date boilies again Mr Muskie?:oops:;):ROFLMAO:

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I used to stress, even in my sleep. The job I had drove me to the point of collapse. I kid you not when I say this. In my sleep I turned my whole living room around through 180 degrees such was the pressure. I quit and went away from that industry. It was killing me and I had to make a life decision.
Now I am much happier, I control how, when and where I work. I am my own boss. Sure there are pressures involved, for my mental wellbeing this is however now perfect.

Then I met Dave....

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
I used to stress, even in my sleep. The job I had drove me to the point of collapse. I kid you not when I say this. In my sleep I turned my whole living room around through 180 degrees such was the pressure. I quit and went away from that industry. It was killing me and I had to make a life decision.
Now I am much happier, I control how, when and where I work. I am my own boss. Sure there are pressures involved, for my mental wellbeing this is however now perfect.
^^ Been there, done that, got the tee shirt....(y)......The money was lovely, the pressures were giving me health problems and most importantly it was affecting my marriage....And that wasn't gonna happen, my wife deserves much better than that.....End of.......

peterb

Site Supporter
You need to be careful about worrying , we all get situations that give us a problem and that's bound to happen but its different when you start worrying about every little thing every day .Someone close to me has been like it all her life and it has got the better of her , I know some people can't help it but you have to try to get out of it or it will take over your life , worrying never solved any problem .

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
You need to be careful about worrying , we all get situations that give us a problem and that's bound to happen but its different when you start worrying about every little thing every day .Someone close to me has been like it all her life and it has got the better of her , I know some people can't help it but you have to try to get out of it or it will take over your life , worrying never solved any problem .
You are quite right peterb. If there is something worrying you, then address it. Relieve the stress, or at least abate it. There are plenty of help centres out there.
I'm in touch with several...

rd115

Slava Ukraini
Site Supporter
I don't worry about anything. Just ask yourself, does worrying help? Whatever will happen will happen.

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
Account Locked
When you're worried about things what do you to relieve the stress?

For me... it's stop thinking about it so much first and foremost...

I have been reading about 'Transcendental Meditation'... invented by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and promoted by famous people from The Beatles to David Lynch... but I haven't taken it that far yet. Anyone tried it?

Maharishi.jpeg

What I prefer is just a nice cup of coffee and then getting my jobs done, relaxing with a nice beer and movie on the evening.
I’ve never heard owt so bloody daft.

baboboy

Site Supporter

Then I met Dave....
Is that your where we’re you when JFK shot moment? lol.

davepellet

How can you stop thinking about something that's worrying you...?

what do you do? fill yourself with codeine & vodka? (best I'd be able to lay my hands on these days I'm afraid...)

there's absolutely no way on earth I can suddenly 'stop' thinking about something... I've had GP's say this to me in the past, and I've said the same to them... how?
their answer(s)... think about something else... write down the things that are bothering you... learn to meditate...

wtf! my income tax pay these guys to be trained up to come out with that s**t! My window cleaner could give better advice

so to address each of these options...

1. Think about something else... I have a multi-level & multi-thread brain & often think in intricate detail about multiple things at the same time... suppose it goes with the job... So how many new things do I have to force in there to push the worry thoughts out (and let's be right here, this is at best only ever gonna be temporary, the worry thoughts are gonna keep coming back)

2. write down the things that are bothering you: I have tried this option, and there is actually a small amount of mileage in it... until you start worrying about how much paper you're using!

3. Learn to meditate... well, all I can say to that is I'm from Sheffield, not bloody New York!

... and when someone says just stop worrying... oh yeah, that's a great idea, Wish I'd thought of that. Cheers... I can relax now!

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Account Locked
Some people can be their own worst enemy and will put themselves into situations which will increase their chances of worrying about an outcome.

Prime example of that is posting on a forum such as this and then not liking the responses that are given or attaining the validation they are looking for.

PeteC

Just one of Churchills many quotes........🤗

14033.jpg

“When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which had never happened”​

― Winston S. Churchill

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I was worried when I first saw the title of this thread, then I thought, 'why worry, be happy' sang to that old famous tune, 'my old man's a dustman.