How to stiffen up bread paste

Simon90

I've been trying out bread paste recently on the waggler.
I would like to stiffen up my paste a little so it will stay on the hook better when cast 2 or 3 rod lengths.
My current mixture is just bread crumbs from dried bread with a little water added and then kneaded into a paste.

Thanks in advance for any tips

davej

old hippy
Site Supporter
Try adding less water and kneading it more or add a bit of flour. I use underarm cast swing it then flick it out on the up stroke, get 2 or 3 rod lengths easily.
Or some finely grated cheese stiffens it, good for chub.

Last edited:

Silver fan 82

I'm no expert but it sounds as if you're maybe adding too much water?
When making other pastes usually some kind of flour or powder is added to stiffen the paste.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
If you want to colour it a little and stiffen it up a bit at the same time, try adding custard powder, or some red cheese put through a blender until it resembles crumbs and do a 50/50 mix of cheese and bread crumb, add water a little at a time and knead well until you get the consistency you want. I agree with the others, you're probably adding too much water at the beginning.

Last edited:

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Paste should be as soft as you can get it and for that very reason it is not really ideal for long range waggler fishing. Probably better to take the centre out of a slice fresh bread, knead it until it forms a very stiff dough, use a large hook (12 or 14) and make sure the point is protruding from the bait.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Bit of added wheat gluten will stiffen any paste but you could mould the paste around one of the hair rigging widgets made for this or even a meat mate all of which will make it more secure than side hooking directly.

BoldBear

I just take a day old loaf, remove the crust and put it inside a damp tea cloth and knead it until all of the lumps have disappeared adding a little more water if and when its needed.

I usually add some cheese and raw onion juice to it and put any paste left at the end of a session into the freezer until the next time Its needed and just add to it.

Keith

Simon90

Maybe I've been adding to much water from the start.
It might also be a confidence thing, perhaps my paste is still on in the water, but comes of on the retrieve.
I used it for the first time on Friday, but the fishing was hard, just a few small roach on stewed wheat.
I'll give it another go on a session when I'm catching regularly, so I have something to gauge it against.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Maybe I've been adding to much water from the start.
It might also be a confidence thing, perhaps my paste is still on in the water, but comes of on the retrieve.
I used it for the first time on Friday, but the fishing was hard, just a few small roach on stewed wheat.
I'll give it another go on a session when I'm catching regularly, so I have something to gauge it against.

Remember to add the water very little at a time, a spray bottle comes in handy for doing just that. A couple of squirts at a time till you get it how you want it, also remember to keep kneading and if you do accidentally add too much water, thicken it back out by adding more blitzed bread and no water and knead it in till it's smooth.