how to repair damaged rod rings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanderhunter

been going through the vast amounts of my tackle, and ive realised ive got a fair few rods with damaged rings on them. how can you repair tip and butt rings easily? the problem is that the inner guide is either cracked, or just non-existent! ive got about 6 rods with this problem which im not confident in using- but if i can figure out how to fix them, it saves me buying more! any suggestions would be much appreciated!

mibut

http://www.fishing.co.uk/article.php3?id=689 and for replacements and also tips,http://www.hopkinsholloway.co.uk/ and http://www.guidesnblanks.com/

Last edited:

strat2

lol i never have to replace my rod rings.. i buy a new rod normally once every 2 months

i snap at least a rod a month.

ive had a maver genesis for 4weeks now and its not broken :D

its a problem lol i do so much baggin :p

ask adam_f if u dont belive how many rods i break

Don

Just whip on a new ring, the link for "Hopkins and Holloway" is a good one (mibuts) you can buy the whipping varnish and laquer etc and do a pro job of replacing rings with a little patience.
Why anyone would thropw a rod away when it can be fixed is beyond me but loads of people seem to do this nowadays!

groundhog

Life Survivor
zanderhunter [:)],replacment rod rings, are available from most good tackle shops mate, along with whipping silk, and varnish [;)],and it is a very simple job to whip rod rings on, you can either whip one side at a time, or get fancy and whip one side following straight through to the other side of the legs,thats how I used to earn a bit of extra pocket money as a kid [:p]
Don Agree with your statement mate.
"Why anyone would throw a rod away when it can be fixed is beyond me but loads of people seem to do this nowadays!"
[:0][:0]
Trouble is everyone is getting idle mate, and thats the top and bottom of it, and everyone is being bought up in the throw away society.
Regards Dave

wev

any decent tackle shop will charge around 7 per eye replaced with matching whippings as this is there trade & they should be the exsperts

gibby

Interesting point here, rods and reels are much cheaper in real terms that when I started fishing in the 1960's, people are materially better off and there is no incentive to repair anything - simply chuck it away and buy another.

Anyone remember re-whipping rod rings, varnishing rods, and re-lubing the old Mitchell 300's? Mind you, we had the closed season to do it in.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
I used to build a fair few rods myself from blanks, back in the sixties and seventies, and I got quite good at whipping and varnishing.These days to be honest it would cost you more to buy the bits than the cost of a finished rod, thanks to far eastern manufacturing costs, so I don't bother any more, plus blanks are not as easy to get hold of either.Years ago most decent tackle shops had plenty of Lerc and North Western glass float and leger rod blanks in stock and Daiwa used to sell their carbon rod blanks at one time as well.Not any more. Gibby, I've still got an unused tube of original Mitchell lubricating grease; bet there's not many of them around these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.