How to repair a split in the end of a Pole section...

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The last time my pole came out I managed to ram the 5th section back into the 6th section that was on my rollers resulting in a not so nice 6mm split in the end of my 5th section, the put-over end.

I often see posts from people asking how to repair similar, so here goes....

Tools required:
120 grit Aluminium Oxide Paper
A cork sanding block larger than the end of the section
A flat, stable table to rest on

Rest the section on the table, the split in this case was about 6mm long...

20210725_150153.jpg

Offer up the Aluminium Oxide Paper wrapped tightly around the cork sanding block, and with gentle pressure sand away. As you do, rotate the section occasionally and make sure you are sanding flat against the section end so not to end up with a taper..

20210725_150520.jpg

You will make quite a bit of fine carbon dust so you are better off doing it outside, or in a garage/shed, not the kitchen :)

Once youve removed the split check the end section to make sure it is level and even at the end, if not gently sand back until it is.
Job done...

20210725_151115.jpg

Its not that difficult, take it steady and dont rush it then you wont splinter the carbon. This repair took me all of about ten minutes if that.

Total

Site Supporter
^^ :)......Way to go, well explained.....(y).....May I just add, "deburr OD and ID to remove sharp edges after split is sanded out".....(y)

rufcuk

Would also add a quick coat of clear coat on the very end to seal the exposed carbon - nail varnish works fine

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
^^ :)......Way to go, well explained.....(y).....May I just add, "deburr OD and ID to remove sharp edges after split is sanded out".....(y)
In all fairness with 120 Aluminium Oxide you shouldn't have any burrs or sharp edges, but it wouldn't harm to give a quick wipe round if required.

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Good example. Many people (most) are a bit scared of cutting/grinding carbon (understandable considering cost) but with a bit of patience it's very, very straightforward.

To be honest though for 5mm I'd have got the Junior Hacksaw out ! But the joint needed a good grinding anyway by the look of it.

Alantherose

Site Supporter
Thanks Dave, super-useful!

Took some suspect pole sections to local tackle shop today only to be told they were fine, the owner and his mate fish with worse splits and save my money.

Was a good ploy... walked out with a new rod under my arm 🤣🤣🤣