How to make simple peacock wagglers

squimp

Site Supporter
Nice one Mark.

love the little ‘in’ jokes peppered through the narrative.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@MarkW

Nice vid mate, left a a comment. :upthumb:

Last edited:

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Nice little video that Mark. Something very satisfying about catching fish on a float you 've made yourself. It must be good if Ukzero1 has given you the thumbs up. 👍

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Nice little video that Mark. Something very satisfying about catching fish on a float you 've made yourself. It must be good if Ukzero1 has given you the thumbs up. 👍
Yup, left a couple of tips too in the comments. :upthumb:

PearTree

Calder Exile
Something very satisfying about catching fish on a float you 've made yourself
Too true, my go to waggler for the Calder if the conditions are right is a 3AAA float with a peacock insert that I made in my late teens after reading Clive Smith and Ken Giles book 'Match Fishing Our Way'. I haven't made any for decades but thankfully I knocked up plenty at the time in a variety of sizes and styles which are still going strong. There weren't any commercially made peacock wagglers that were readily available then, just sarkandas reed ones.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Too true, my go to waggler for the Calder if the conditions are right is a 3AAA float with a peacock insert that I made in my late teens after reading Clive Smith and Ken Giles book 'Match Fishing Our Way'. I haven't made any for decades but thankfully I knocked up plenty at the time in a variety of sizes and styles which are still going strong. There weren't any commercially made peacock wagglers that were readily available then, just sarkandas reed ones.
Clive Smith and Ken Giles .... That's a blast from the past. Not heard those two names for a few years. Both fantastic anglers. 👍

PearTree

Calder Exile
I've got a copy of 'the rising antenna' by Jim Baxter waiting for me if I get back to the UK on leave later this summer. I'm looking forward to reading it based on the extracts I've already seen on the Canal and River Trust website. I'll also dig out 'Match fishing our way' while I'm there, their advice on float fishing, feeding etc is well worth another read.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Nice videos Mark.

Tipitinmick ... i’m pretty sure that Ken is still around, he presented the prizes at the annual Clive Smith memorial float only match at Bewdley.

Peartree, you won’t be disappointed, Jim Baxter’s book is a really enjoyable read - with a mixture of memoir, instructional, historical and interviews/chapters by guests (including the OP).
I’ve re-Read most of my fishing library over lockdown, including match fishing our way. My favourite fishing book is also by Clive Smith “championship match fishing - ten of the best”.

MarkW

The trouble with Jim's book is that it'll get you making floats....

I hope he manages to get his stick float book published.

MarkW

thank you very much :)
can also loaded floats with brass heads be made in a similar fashion?
One of the completed floats I hold up in the video has a short length of brass rod instead of cane as the insert at the base so that it is loaded. Working out how much brass rod to use is the tricky bit.

Rick123

Site Supporter
I'm going through pole floats on a regular basis now, so I'm going to make some of those. Worked out buying al the stuff on-line will make at least 20 floats for £13 with lots of bit (not bodies) left over. Cheap as chips, nice one Mark.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Over 40 years ago when Mark and I fished against each other I started to make wagglers out of plastic drinking straws and cocktail sticks. In those days to fish across a canal you had to use a waggler as poles were fibreglass and 8m max. I was tired of losing expensive floats in far bank brambles. So investigated the drinking straw as a cheap version.

I finally hit upon using a wooden cocktail stick with a collar of silicone/rubber tubing that just fit on the stick and just fit inside the straw. I think the internal diameter was around 2mm and the wall thickness also 2mm. I think it was intended as swingtip rubber. A small smear of glue to ensure a watertight seal was all that was needed. I used a full cocktail stick for the bristle/tip and about 1/3rd for the base. I only painted the bristle and about one inch of the top of the straw, varnished the base stick. They looked odd being coloured striped plastic with a painted top but worked exceptionally well. They took about 2AA+ at full length.

Unfortunately now all straws are "bendy" and many are a smaller diameter. I stopped making them a couple of decades ago though may have some old ones somewhere.