How to - Elasticate a Pole

Rhilluk

I've just got a second hand pole, however the top kit is put over and not telescopic. How do I go about elasticating it so I can store it

geofflukins

Most top kits are put over. Its just the very thin No 1 section that is telescopic and most anglers remove it anyway and just elasticate the No 2 and No 3 sections.

chrismo

Originally posted by Rhilluk

How do you collapse the sections with the elastic in then?

Pull them apart and protect the elastic with something like this
http://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/maver_pole_elastic_protection_wishbones.html
aka doobries

I use these
http://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/new_team_mosella_pole_geni.html
which also hold the top 2 together and protect the elastic.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
A cheap method is to cut the ends off the winders that some elastics come on leaving the end and two 'legs' about an inch long

Place the legs into the two sections of pole when collapsed and place the elastic across the top of it

No more damaged elastics and you get two free with most elastics you buy [:T]

wetnets

Thinking of using hydro through my puller kits and as its winter fishing Im thinking that No11 preston hollow is ideal for 90% of situations but what would be the equal to No11 hollow in the Diawa hydro range?

Thanks

Gassy

Having just ordered a new pole it has 8 top kits, could someone give me advice on what strength elastics to put in to cover all situations, it comes with 4 interlastic tops and 4 match 3's, i will take no1 out.
Cheers.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Pair your top kits up so that you have two of each type..

ie

2 x Match Kits - Preston Original Slip numer 5, doubled up > Good for mixed fisheries in cold weather
2 x Match Kits - Solid 8 Kamasan > Good Silver elastic for Skimmers and Roach

2 x Power Tops - Maver Match Dual Core 12-15 > Nice commercial Carp elastic

2 x Power Tops - Maver Match Dual Core 16-19 > Commercial Carp where bigger fish are expected or in the summer months when the 5lb'ers start tearing about

If you pair up your top kits you'll be able to have a couple of rigs set up for each occasion

Gassy

Dave, i have bought some Preston 15H and 13H,(good price) would it be ok to just use a normal bung on interlastic kits for this elastic and not use the holes?

markone

no matter what pole i have had i always suffer from the elastic sticking unless set to pingy,what i do is cut the maver clean caps down and slide 2 into the the number two after the elastic is in put one on the number 3 and te elastic can be set as soft as you like and it will not stick when wet,to get them out just remove internal bush and push them out with the number 1.

SpiderWebb

Spider.
Site Supporter
I still remember my first attempt at cutting back a top kit for elasticating. I used a junior hacksaw, ultimate sin, I applied pressure on the forward stroke, result carbon bits all over the place where it shattered. I now use a set of engineers needle files, just draw the triangular one backwards gently untillit cuts through, then clean up the cut end with some very fine wet and dry paper.
tankie63.

kpr1969

can anybody point me in the direction of link/tutorial onhow to elasticate a side pulla kit.

just bought a used pole with a lot of side pulla tops and some need to be fitted with elastic..
apologies if there is a link with in this thread but pushed for time and had to skip from page 1 to 4

Nematode

Account Locked
I've just bought a MAP TKS 2G with side pullers fitted. After using a puller bung in an older pole, the rule of thumb I used was to pull the laccy out under tension to about 12", then tie off.

Worked for me, but like you, would appreciate any other comments on this.

carphauler

Roachhauler
Use a bead on a side puller to tension the elastic then you have spare elastic after the bead to cut back when it wears.

Last edited: