How to - Elasticate a Pole

Top Man

Targets: Win the fenton and Distric Family Match (If only my dad wouldnt continously let me down when it comes to the weights);)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
For the Crows foot - yes it is redhead
Also the same goes for the knot at the bung end

Dave

The Maggotdrowning Shop
Support MD's - Make a Donation

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It should go back to it's original length unless the bung has been pulled up the pole section but if not there's two ways of doing it:

First check to see if your bung has slipped up the pole by removing it and then re-inserting it. Once in pull the top of your elastic at the connector to stretch a few metres of elastic out and position the bung.
Then if the elastic is still too long....

...Replace the bung with a 'Winder Bung' and wind on a few turns of the elastic to re-tension it as required. This method is the better one as it allows you to increase/decrease the tension in the elastic at will

Or... Re-tie your elastic at either the connector end or the Bung end and remove the unwanted elastic

Dave

The Maggotdrowning Shop

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It all depends drm... on the type of elastic you're using. Some of the cheaper elastics can take longer whereas pure latex ones are more 'active' and then you've got the hollow elastics and Hydolastic
Try tightening your elastic up slightly and see if this makes a difference

Also, regardless which elastic you use make sure that your bush is big enough to allow free passage of the elastic back into the pole. If the elastic just fits and you've got the slightest bit of grime on it, it will stick in the bush
Also don't forget you can lubricate your elastic with several types of ready made lubricants or make your own using a mix of hair conditioner and water
Put it into a small squirty bottle and apply a little now and again into your top sections and pull the elastic through it to give it a coating

Don't forget though that over a period of time the lubricants can also glug up the inside of your top sections so every now and again give them a flush out with warm water to clear any build up - you'll find using the shower hose does this just fine, remove the shower head and flush the sections out with the hose and warm water [;)]

Dave

The Maggotdrowning Shop

kingfisher5

Just joined the Maggotdrowners forum and finding it a facinating wealth of knowledge. Its so helpfull in finding out those things nobody really tell you.

Keep it up everyone !!

kingfisher5

By the way perhaps someone could shed some light on how you are to know how many sections need elasticating and also whether you make it up as a telescopic section or put over ? Never really understood how to tackle it when elasticating a new pole.

Also why dont pole manufacturers provide you with a spare tube for your top sections as they know that once elasticated they arent going to go back in to the original pole ?

Uban

Well done all. I bought my first pole a few weeks back & have now elasticated two tips, learned the connectors & knots, & started catching fish. EVERYTHING I know I learned here.
THX Again, Rich R

Matt Simmy

Matress
Site Supporter
HI DAVE. WHEN I TRY AND READ YOUR INSTRUCTIONS THE WRITING HAS GONE!! IS THE SITE HAVING DIFFICULTIES??[V]

tench tastic

Dave, have been thinking of moving to the crows foot knot, but am a little cautious, as has the line ever cut into the laccy, and what is it like when you are snagged up, and have to pull for a break?
Tenchy

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Matt, we did have a few problems with the site but back up and running now

TT, so far I've not had a problem with line cutting through the elastic but some people do recommend Dacron Connectors as a way around this
Basically it is a small section of Dacron that is permanently fastened to the elastic and then the rig line is connected to this as per a crows foot

Grub

Hi Folks, great site!

Being new to pole fishing i was wandering:
How do i keep the 'joints' of my pole in good condition?

Should i replace the elastic regularly or do i leave it until it suffers damage etc?

How much tension should there be in the elastic...should the elastic in the pole be just tight enough to hold the crows foot/stonfo at the tip of the pole, or should it be slightly tighter...how do i judge?

Many thanks in advance!

Grub.

jaws

I'm just about to by my first pole and this info is spot on for me because I ain't got a clue about poles apart from watching a few dvd's, well done Dave for the info, cheers

Fluff

Thanks Dave for your info on elasticating the pole. I did tie a length of nylon string to the end of the bung. So i can pull the bung out with ease, if i need to tighten the elastic. Do you know of any product that i can spray on the pole, so as when i pack the pole up if its damp i don't have the sections sticking together. Which has caused me some problems. I have recently brought a maver resolution, which I've yet to fish with. Is this in your opinion a good pole?
Cheers Steve.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Steve,

There's that many poles out there at the moment it's hard to be able to have an opinion on them all but Maver, for their sins, do make good poles

As for keeping your pole clean, best thing I use is a can of Pledge, furniture polish

Every now and then take the pole into the shower and give it a good hose down. Undo the shower head and flush the sections through with warm water and then let it all dry - again the shower cubicle is a good place for this but it does help if you take your pole apart first as the missus generally doesn't like 13m of pole in the shower [8D]

Once it's dry, get a cloth duster and spray some polish onto it and then wipe the pole all over
Pledge is good for cleaning the pole plus it leaves a polished finish which helps repel water and therefore helps to keep the pole clean in use
It always helps to have a small towel, or beer cloth, in your tackle box and then if it does rain or you get the pole muddy you can wipe it off before putting it away. This is a lot easier than getting it back out again after every trip or finding it all manky and sticky because you didn't clean it between trips [;)]

bazzla

great bit of advice dave just started to take pole fishing up the guide will come in very handy

Fluff

Dave many thanks for your advice. I shall do what you say. As pole sections sticking together is no joke. Thanks for taking the trouble of replying to my last message.
All the best Steve.