How to attach pellet bands?

CarpCatcher86

I have been watching a few youtube videos lately, as have a lot of us I should imagine with things the way they have been.
The one thing I noticed is how many anglers I have seen pole, waggler, pellet waggler, bomb and feeder fishing using hair rigged bait bands for attaching pellets.
When I first started using pellets, I simply put a band on a pellet and then put the point of the hook between pellet and band.
This resulted in occasionally losing bait bands along with the pellet. After that I changed to putting the point of the hook through the band material it's self with the band sat right under the bend of the hook, meaning it is always atached to the hook, until I remove it or it breaks for whatever reason.
Is there any benefit to hair rigging bait bands compared to attaching them to the hook in the method described above? My previous theroy for hooking bands rather than hair rigging them was simply me thinking what if the band or hair broke? That hooklink then becomes useless unless you cut the line and re tie it, or you discard it and attach another hooklink.
So, how do you guys attach yours?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I hair rig all my bait bands in the same way that I hair rig all of my quick stops.

Cannot see any reason why the hair should break or the band but if it did then you could still use the hair rig by hooking through the band directly as you described.

Silver fan 82

I simply tie the band in a double overhand loop and then position the hook the required distance from the band with a knotless knot. I don't tie the band tight in the loop if that makes sense?
No need to over complicate things.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hair rig every time, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have put a band direct onto the hook.

Tied this way- the only time you can’t do this is if your line is too large a dia to go through the eye three times.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Line through the band and then make a figure of eight loop with the band in the loop. Put the prong of a loop sizer through the loop holding the band and tighten the knot. It will snug around the prong. remove and tighten fully. Band should now be in a tiny loop that does not constrict it. Now tie the eyed hook with a knotless knot with the band level with the bend of the hook or longer if desired. Tie to length and job done.

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
Hair rig every time, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have put a band direct onto the hook.

Tied this way- the only time you can’t do this is if your line is too large a dia to go through the eye three times.

He made another video where you only go through the eye twice .