How should I use this type of float ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyA

Hi gang,

Datafile4.gif

I bought a Carp Coil Feeder Waggler quite a while ago but I've never got round to using it, can someone let me know how I should use it correctly ?.
I understand that you mould your groundbait / particle bait onto the spring, but is it used for Carp on the surface and if so should I be using a floating bait or a bait suspended under the float ? also what hooklength should I be using ?

Image borrowed from www.floats-direct.com (thanks)

Cheers [:D]

Aaaah .... soon be fishing

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
its a form of a method feeder float. The idea is that you fish up in the water with it, on warm days when carp will be in the upper layers. Start off at 3ft deep depending on the depth of the water, and keep shallowing up if they are just under the surface. Theres a few different views as to the groundbait that should be moulded round it. But i feel it should be a mix that is sticky enough to hold the cast, but should create a cloud when it hits the water. Stever ringer and the other ringers do it best. He re-casts every 30 seconds or so if he hasnt had a bite. His groundbait mix is his own ringers bag up mix just straight from the bag. I think the idea is to fish it further out, not too close in.

J.Tolley

dave the fish

Site Supporter
Andy

Malc is the expert with this.
Try this thread Malc referred to in answer to a previous question.

http://www.maggotdrowning.com/forums/threads/973&SearchTerms=Bagging,Wag

Or do a search for bagging waggler

Dave

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
Oh yes, I fished amtach today, and the peole fishing this method, and big wagglers like it, were getting snapped on 10Ib line straight through, they wernt particularly large either. The fish hook themselves most of the time, so be prepared and use heafty tackle.

J.Tolley

joe1987

'Darwener'
Mould the groundbait round, a light fluffy mix with soaked pellet mixed in. Fish a 2-3ft hooklength with banded pellet, corn, meat, paste or prawn. Then throughout the day the mix will fall slowly and draw carp up nearer the surface until you end up with a 6" hooklength.
Hope that helps a little, Steve Ringers the man to ask about the bag n wag.

*)*Joey*(*

AndyA

many thanks for the advice all, I'll give the float a try on Friday [:D]

Aaaah .... soon be fishing

MALC

Hi Andy,

I would have replied to this sooner but had connection problems (love NTL).

Don't know how much the Bagging Waggler get's used up in Yorkshire so some of the previous suggestions may be correct.

Personally though around the waters i fish in the Midlands (Drayton, Clattercote and others that allow it's use) all the above suggestions would see few if any fish put in the net.

Round this way the Bagging Waggler has been used for a fair few years and the tactics employed have now developed beyond those suggested by the other replies.

In this area the best groundbait mix is any carp based groundbait eg Ringers Bagup, SillyBait, Crazy Bait or similar and an equal amount of fine brown crumb and thats it with NOTHING added.

Mix 50/50 Carp mix and Brown crumb the night before needed and riddle well to remove any lumps and to allow it to absorb all the water.

You want the mix so it will hold on the feeder for the cast but fall away within 1 minute of hitting the water at most.

As others have already mentioned you need to be geared up properly to fish the Bagging Waggler and most use Carp rods with a test curve between 1 & 2lb coupled with 12 to 15lb line.

For it to work properly it is a labour intensive style of fishing and you need to look to cast about every minute to get a column of groundbait going through the water.

Best baits vary from day to day but Pellet, Meat and Boiles are all bankers.

Round this way we tend to start off with a distance of around 4 or 5ft between hook and float and work shallower as the session progresses.

The style of Bagging Wag you show in the picture will not fish at great distance as they are not the most aerodynamic and are best suited to a distance of around 30yds also dont overload the feeder as this will also affect the distance castable where as the slender pencil type's can be cast double that distance and also have a smaller feeder section so cutting down the urge to over load it.

Pencil type Bagging Waggler
bag.jpg

Normally you wont need to strike at any takes as the fish self hook against the weight.

MALC
Datafile2.asp
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

Last edited:

Simon R

Site Supporter
Tiny was using one at Elvington at the weekend.

Very much as Malc described except he used soft pellets (Cats & Dogs ones I think) moulded around the coil - possibly a good idea if the water you're fishing has a groundbait ban.

Must admit I've never seen anyone using it up here (except out of desperation[:p])

Tight Lines

Simon

joe1987

'Darwener'
Well malc ive took your advice having never fished the bag n wag before just been told about it and mixed 1/2 kilo of crazybait marine and 1/2 kilo brown crumb, but are you sure i dont need to add just a few pellets or grains of corn. It looks really bland, smells good though.
Do I wet it to a light fluffy, feeder mix? Like I would for bream on small waters?
Got an Okuma interceptor 12lb line and 1 3/4TC Diawa sensor z carp rod.
While i'm fishing it should I fire in pellets regularily or something? Its alien to me fishing a groundbait with no other feed in!

*)*Joey*(*

MALC

LOL Joe

You can add anything to the mix you want it's just that around this area the fish have wised upto feed in the mix plus it cuts down on the chance of your hookbait being taken if there is a shed load of freebies in the mix.[;)]

Regards the texture of the mix i tend to mix it so it falls from the feeder within 20 to 40 seconds of hitting the water then recast and do it all again, (normally i'll mould a fresh bit of groundbait round the feeder soon as i cast out) i keep 3 or 4 in with the groundbait and just wind in them change the Bagging Wag for a loaded one.

Some times i'll fire the odd ball of groundbait in the area, make sure it's soft and brakes up as it hits the water.

Also every so often try casting out without any groundbait.[;)]

MALC
Datafile2.asp

joe1987

'Darwener'
Alright cheers malc. Do you not use inline feeders? Thanks for all the info, will probly mix in a few 3mm pellet and fish a 8mm drilled on a hair. Thanks again,

*)*Joey*(*

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
malc, whats the best way of attaching the float, or what should the rig be like, like joe i think I might give it a try in the match on monday.

J.Tolley

MALC

Personally i use a couple of different ways to attach the Baggin Wag.

1).
The triple loop method (same as for feeder fishing) but i include a soft rubber bead either side of a snap swivel-link as a shock absorber.
I make each loop about 2 or 3 inches in length and attach the swivel-link to the middle one.

2).
You can buy giant waggler attachments (i use one's made by Colmic and Ignesti).
The one's i use are a brass leg with a central hole that your line passes through then it's locked in place with rubbers on the line.

I prefer the loop system though as it does not damage the line which the adapters can with the constant casting.

Also some people include a foot of power gum between the main line and hook length to also act as a shock absorber.

MALC
Datafile2.asp

joe1987

'Darwener'
The triple loop sounds the easiest, thats what I use for all my skud fishing.
Tolley, was the 1 you got me an inline float?

*)*Joey*(*

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
I aint got it yet, goin tommorow, I'm getting 1 too, do you want an inline one?

J.Tolley

Status
Not open for further replies.