How safe do you feel ?

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
I have never felt threatened while fishing, even fishing the rough stretch of the Ribble close to the less salubrious estates of Preston or overnight on park lakes.

The one thing that I am paranoid about is my gear being stolen out of the shed or garage. So it lives in one of the spare rooms, much to the Mrs delight.

Eddiepoolsfodder

Site Supporter
I have never felt threatened while fishing, even fishing the rough stretch of the Ribble close to the less salubrious estates of Preston or overnight on park lakes.

The one thing that I am paranoid about is my gear being stolen out of the shed or garage. So it lives in one of the spare rooms, much to the Mrs delight.
Must admit I know the stretch of Ribble your talking about and I have met nothing but pleasant characters on there despite stories of previous custodians of the fishing rights like Bay Malton being unable to police it due to threats of violence. I don’t think I’d night fish it alone though!

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Damflask i feel safe at out of town no druggies sheffield canal only fish during day seen people drinking on some parts so no evening or night fishing
Club waters out of way or behind locked gate so dont get many people walking around

Philocalist

Personally, have never felt under threat from tackle theft or violence, in neck-end of a half century on the bank, since I was a kid. What DOES concern me, more and more as the years pass, if I'm fishing in any way isolated, are health issues that can quickly turn serious, even fatal. Lets be blunt, no-one is getting any younger, but there often comes a time in life when you get a very blunt warning - maybe there is an unexpected diagnosis of a heart complaint, for example - all too common.
Yesterday, you were the same person you always were, but a week down the line, beta-blockers are going to have a profound effect on what you can do physically, and it becomes nigh-on impossible not to see a link to a heart problem, with almost every ache and pain going - yet you want to get on with life as best you can.
I bit less dramatic, but even a simple fall can have serious consequences, even if you stay out of the water, and something as simple as standing up quickly after being sat immobile for a while can be enough to knock you dizzy, and off your feet.
I'm unsure which I'd rather have to deal with - the scroates lurking about, or my own mortality.

commieboy257

Account Locked
since the covid visited and decided to stay I have acquired a fishing buddy, in his early 30's. he used to fish with me before but not every time. when we next go he'll be in charge of the tackle barrow, brewing tea and making sure that if I do fall in that I get out again.
just by being there he's a deterrent in the fact of extra numbers and he's not a big chap at 6' and 12 stone.
makes a rubbish cuppa though, and he whines when I stir it with my disgorger :ROFLMAO:

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I do tend to fish on my own in the middle of nowhere into the early hours sometimes and not had any trouble yet.

But I'm 6'2 25 stone and tend to keep one of those heavy stainless steel banksticks within reach.

The old Steadfast extending bankstick with the heavy brass knurled thumbwheel?
I've been grateful for mine a couple of times when I was fishing the river near Hull, late on an evening.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
The old Steadfast extending bankstick with the heavy brass knurled thumbwheel?
I've been grateful for mine a couple of times when I was fishing the river near Hull, late on an evening.
Slightly more modern, one of these:

Quite a bit of weight to them and nice pointy sticky out bits. Anyone wants take my Barbel gear is in for an almighty shock lol

ginger

When I was a kid we used to fish the Derwent at a place called bass's rec near the town centre of Derby and always felt safe, now it's the domain of alkys, smackheads and other assorted dross of society and I'd want to be armed with more than a bankstick to even go near the place...
So did I, did you ever fish the weir below the river Gardens standing on the sill,

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I remember a few years ago an old boy who always proudly boasted about being an ex football hooligan, ex bare knuckler, pub brawler and showing off his scars from decades of scrapping, liked to fish as far away from people as possible.

One day he's sat fishing on a cut somewhere (can't remember where it was) and he heard voices, thought nothing of it, next second he's in the cut and all his gear followed him in, as he tried to scramble out he was hit over the head with a branch or something (he didn't know for sure) anyway as he's a bit dazed he hears shouting and his attackers run off, a few seconds later he feels hands grabbing him and dragging him out of the water.

Two beaters had been following the group along the towpath after chasing them away from a fox hunt, they were hunt sabs and had got split from the main group so they just went off down the towpath and came across the old lad fishing, they obviously decided he should be the target and in he went.
Luckily for him the beaters had mobiles and called for help, his own mobile was at the bottom of the cut somewhere.

He was talking about it a few months later and said if the beaters hadn't been there he'd be dead, he reckons they only stopped because the beaters shouted and started running down the towpath to help him.

There was another story a few years back about an old soldier fishing the canal in Cambridgeshire, not far from Huntington and a bunch of antis who'd been protesting at the life sciences place came along and tipped im out of his wheelchair into the cut and left him to drown, again he was lucky and help came along.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Given that my local lake has issues with alcohol and drug use & The Medway free stretch is in the middle of town with a wide variety of random bankwalkers, strangely I don’t feel unsafe.

I wouldn’t night fish either venue but then at my age I don’t night fish anyway ;)

My kit is all secondhand and not shiny so highly unlikely to attract a tackle thief & as I’m a big scruffy old taff I generally get avoided rather than attract visitors at my peg.

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter

That's the one I worry about someone blimping your gear and following you home and coming back later to nick it

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Slightly off topic but on my old estate, 2 lads attacked a pensioner on his way home from the pub. He broke one of the lads jaw and stabbed the other with a pen knife. The police, for once, showed common sense and no charges were pressed.

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
Lost tackle to break in twice once in old council outhouse only got old sea rods and some cheap golf clubs smashed threw concrete wall and had car broken into one night before I went fishing lucky rods still in house took basket and net bag found a trail of tackle threw dog walk round corner always leave tackle in house now