How safe do you feel ?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Doesn't matter how "tasty" or "tooled" a person thinks they are there is always someone a level above or in the numbers that matter.
It just comes down to luck or bad judgement whether it works out well or not.
Im willing to take a Kicking if they have to Carry one or 2 of their mates away quickly to get Treated.

davylad

Site Supporter
I've only been concerned once, I was fishing the canal at Westlands on the last peg, which is a dead end. I saw these five blokes coming round on the other side, and thought what do I do now as there was nobody else there. I quickly arranged my gear as best I could to get it behind me, and picked a bank stick up, and stood up ready. Like anyone else would be, I was nervous but needn't have worried, as they stopped short and just asked me how I was doing. On another day it might have been nasty, as I wouldn't have stood a chance against five. (maybe four) :love:

Hey commieboy, I always seem to get a bloke come and sit in the peg next to me, and start hammering his bank sticks in, just as I start bagging.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
The only time i felt lets say Uneasy was when i night fished Bobs Island alone, it was before i got Albert, i could hear talking and footsteps behind my Bivvy, i just Walked out with the Machete at my side hidden, 2 lads looked over muttered summat and left. I didnt sleep much that night o_O
I’ve seen that machete. They made a good decision that night and they didn’t know it.

commieboy257

Account Locked
the thing is now they aren't prepared to just take your gear, they have to batter you or even kill you so best thing is to be prepared.
last year when the first shortages started, at a certain set of traffic lights youths were trying car doors to rob shopping.
I fitted a kubotan to my key chain, and being oak it looks like a dibber, and were it necessary I would have used it.

H T B

Site Supporter
a mate of mine was fishing the Trent on a hot summers day some years ago.
having an early start, he felt a need for some zzzz in the afternoon.
Wound both feeder rods in, put them on their bank sticks.
Cap down, eyes shut zzzzz

Woke up, rods gone!
Some scrote had knicked both rods n reels.
This was a private stretch of water, and no public footfall.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I've only been concerned once, I was fishing the canal at Westlands on the last peg, which is a dead end. I saw these five blokes coming round on the other side, and thought what do I do now as there was nobody else there. I quickly arranged my gear as best I could to get it behind me, and picked a bank stick up, and stood up ready. Like anyone else would be, I was nervous but needn't have worried, as they stopped short and just asked me how I was doing. On another day it might have been nasty, as I wouldn't have stood a chance against five. (maybe four) :love:

Hey commieboy, I always seem to get a bloke come and sit in the peg next to me, and start hammering his bank sticks in, just as I start bagging.
I’ve met you Dave and I’d say you’re well capable of five maybe six. 🤣🤣👍

frankg

Site Supporter
All the above just strengthens my view of stopping scum like this from breeding ...sterilise them.....just in case some misguided do-gooder thinks they’re rehabilitated and ok to release back into society!
Also, as the police are now unable to protect the decent people in society from scum like this, we should have the right to bear arms returned to us!!😡

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Funny ive done nighters at Bobs island a few times and each time even when every peg has been taken we had Visitors on and through the night. I honestly dont think owt would Happen as the Gysies over the other side own it and dont want Bad Publicity.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I'm not sure if I feel safer in the middle of nowhere or a more built up area? 🤷‍♂️
I've always felt safer in the middle of nowhere.
Yeah I probably wouldn’t fish a completely urban spot on my own myself. Obviously there’s even more witnesses than semi urban and rural places but there’s also likely to be a lot more undesirables than anywhere else.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I remember my old Mam coming round as i was loading the van to go night fishing to Cundal, she asked where it was ? i said dont worry its in the middle of nowhere, she asked how many will be there ? i said Midweek probably no one thats why im off. She then persisted to deter me from Going. I turned round as said look ive got my Machete and if i hear anyone coming i will get undressed jump outta me Bivvy with it naked and shout, RIGHT IF I CATCH YA IM GONNA CHOP YER ARMS OFF AND BUM YA, i then asked who do ya think will be more scared ? my Aunt Brenda said dont worry Sis he will be ok :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Silver fan 82

Yeah I probably wouldn’t fish a completely urban spot on my own myself. Obviously there’s even more witnesses than semi urban and rural places but there’s also likely to be a lot more undesirables than anywhere else.
That's my way of thinking too mate.

davylad

Site Supporter
It is sad though, when just say one of us fought back and damaged one maybe two of the aggressors. You can bet that it would be us getting into bother, the law is crazy when it comes to defending yourself or your property.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
It is sad though, when just say one of us fought back and damaged one maybe two of the aggressors. You can bet that it would be us getting into bother, the law is crazy when it comes to defending yourself or your property.
I said this to a Copper mate of mine who Goes to the Rugby, he said but if say theres 4 and ya Harm 2 Badly the other 2 aint gonna have nicking your gear on their mind. Worth a Punt imho.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Funny thing that night at Cundal i got on the Sandbank Bend near the Second Gate @tipitinmick will know it, i was sat there about 11ish i could hear the Karaoke in the Pub at Helperby a good 2 mile away. Sat there no one about looking at the stars and hearing wildlife has got to be the Best thing about night fishing. Now having Albert its like tekkin a 5 year old fishing especially at get yer head down time, he comes to bed just when i drop off, Cold nose on face then tek up most of the Sleeping bag. Glad i got a small dog :rolleyes:

Eddiepoolsfodder

Site Supporter
I’m a big lad 18 stone plus and ex rugby prop - but I don’t want to be on edge when I’m fishing. For me this means avoiding the urban canals and rivers and fishing the more isolated spots. There are some good stretches on the likes of Irwell in Salford / Manchester and likewise the Bridgewater Canal. But would I rather fish in these inner city spots and bag up or be out in the countryside encountering the odd dog Walker / hiker and maybe catch less. The more isolated the better as far as I’m concerned.