How safe do you feel ?

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
A couple of weeks ago I had to list separately the cost of my fishing tackle to our insurance company. Like many anglers on here it ran into thousands. It got me thinking ..... how safe do we all feel about fishing on our own often in the middle of nowhere ? Two years ago a chap fishing our local canal was assaulted and some of his kit was taken. Admittedly, he was an elderly gentleman but, that’s no excuse and it should not have happened. This is an area of canal I fish, again on my own. With the price of poles, rods, seat boxes etc are we going to become an easy target for criminals one day ? What do you think ?

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Pretty safe to be honest. Where I fish is in the middle of the country where you don't really get passers by. Most of our ponds are down country lanes & are a fairly long walk across farm fields. They're also in a decent part of Wirral. I wouldn't fancy fishing the park lakes as I did 20-30 years ago. Too many smackheads frequent those places these days.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Getting to the Back en of 50 now makes me think well if i chop some one up with my Machete i would still maybe have a little bit of time left when i get out, the older i get the less bothered i will be of surviving a life sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I wouldn't fish canals on my own where I used to live unless I travelled Stratford way, never feel in danger round here as it's Lovely Dudley, but I guess you never know, most people are really friendly. Never felt in danger on the Severn either but being in the middle of nowhere often at any time of day could make you vulnerable in the wrong situation. I mentioned that to my brother in law and he just laughed and said, "What the BAA Killer?".

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
I sometimes wonder when I’m last on a commie and the local idiot turns up in his Ford Focus with his mates. They could push me in and take the gear, who’d know?

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I do tend to fish on my own in the middle of nowhere into the early hours sometimes and not had any trouble yet.

But I'm 6'2 25 stone and tend to keep one of those heavy stainless steel banksticks within reach.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I don't think I've ever fished on my own in the middle of nowhere as all the places I fish are at least close to if not amongst civilisation so have a fairly constant stream of walkers that would be there to witness anything that might happen so I never feel unsafe. Also I only fish alone occasionally anyway. I'm with either my grandad, dad, uncle, cousin, mates or any combination of the lot on probably 4 out of 5 sessions at least.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I've never felt in danger of my tackle being stolen. Judging by the amount of gear some of you take, it would need a good hour to pack it all away anyway - even our local police could respond by then.
The Local police would probably help em then arrest you for Swearing.

chris1967

Site Supporter
This isn't aimed at you mate rd115 . but i dont care how big anyone is the youth of today are different from our era with all the knife crime going off .
I'm more than capable but i'll be honest i dont think i'd sit down the canal or a solitary stretch of a river

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Getting to the Back en of 50 now makes me think well if i chop some fker up with my Machete i would still maybe have a little bit of time left when i get out, the older i get the less bothered i will be of surviving a life sentence.
My old shooting mate has 25 years on you Wise Owl and I wouldn’t want to cross him as is view is .... if someone ##### on me I’ll blow their heads off. After all , what are they gonna do to me ? Give me 20 years in prison ? 🤣

Wise Owl

Account Locked
The only time i felt lets say Uneasy was when i night fished Bobs Island alone, it was before i got Albert, i could hear talking and footsteps behind my Bivvy, i just Walked out with the Machete at my side hidden, 2 lads looked over muttered summat and left. I didnt sleep much that night o_O

chris1967

Site Supporter
The only time i felt lets say Uneasy was when i night fished Bobs Island alone, it was before i got Albert, i could hear talking and footsteps behind my Bivvy, i just Walked out with the Machete at my side hidden, 2 lads looked over muttered summat and left. I didnt sleep much that night o_O
i thought i recognized you

1390550021000-AP-Film-Review-Machete-Kills.jpg

commieboy257

Account Locked
Not too bothered. I keep a large rubber mallet in my bag for knocking in rod rests ;) . although since covid wrecked my lungs I'm not so sure.
I wouldn;t go night fishing on my own though.

Stufish

When I was a kid we used to fish the Derwent at a place called bass's rec near the town centre of Derby and always felt safe, now it's the domain of alkys, smackheads and other assorted dross of society and I'd want to be armed with more than a bankstick to even go near the place...

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Guess it depends where you are in the country as well.

Fishing around Oxford and nearby villages the overwhelmingly majority of people that walk past me are far wealthier than I'll ever be so even if there wasn't always loads of potential witness there would probably not be much call for them to rob me gear and push me in 😂

When I lived in Southampton for uni though it would have been a different matter 😅

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I wouldn't fish canals on my own where I used to live unless I travelled Stratford way, never feel in danger round here as it's Lovely Dudley, but I guess you never know, most people are really friendly. Never felt in danger on the Severn either but being in the middle of nowhere often at any time of day could make you vulnerable in the wrong situation. I mentioned that to my brother in law and he just laughed and said, "What the BAA Killer?".
First bloke was sleeping rough on the Severn between Stourport and Bewdley, second wandered up the Severn at Bewdley.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
First bloke was sleeping rough on the Severn between Stourport and Bewdley, second wandered up the Severn at Bewdley.

You're often out in comparatively the middle of nowhere when fishing the Severn aren't you so it does seem like a place where things like that could happen.