How "pingy" do you set your elastic

CNSam

Site Supporter
Hi folks,

So been doing a few top kits recently, old pole so using pulla-bungs.

However Im always sat there arguing with myself on just how 'pingy', 'tight', 'slack' it should be. I know there's no hard or fast rule but just wondering if anyone has any tried and tested methods of making sure it's not too 'pingy'?

Thnx

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I always set the elastic so it just creeps back into the pole.

But then I use a heavier elastic than most and no puller so want the maximum amount of give but with a strength of elastic that means I don't miss the puller.

If the elastic won't retract fully after a few sessions I just tighten using the winder on the bung.

satinet

Site Supporter
I found if you set them too slack they stick when the pole gets wet and you end up with a dangle at the tip.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I must admit that this is one benefit of side pullers (I do actually have three kits with them). You can pull the elastic back in at the puller end when re-baiting.

satinet

Site Supporter
Just to put this in to context I recently elasticed 4 top kits for the first time and they all were set to just creep back in the pole. All were dropping a bit as the elastic stuck to the side wall. Especially the 6 solid. i was expecting it to a degree but it did surprise me how bad it can be on lighter strings. but rather be too long than too short.

RMNDIL

I guess it depends on how long the elastic is/how many sections it's put through. A 'Pingy' elastic which is just through 1 section will behave in a different way and be harsh by comparison to the exact same elastic set 'pingy' through 2 sections (say double the length). The first way can be very unforgiving but with the 2nd option it will still behave 'softer' in use because there is so much more of it to stretch.

It really is a case of experimenting and finding what suits what you do.

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
If you are not 100 0/0 happy with your set up ( set elastic soft )
There is nothing wrong with having 2 puller beads on your elastic if its a bit on the soft side ? Nick speed has a video or part of a video showing you how he does it ? Yes you may have some elastic hanging from your puller but that's no hard ship in my book .

Paul Cresswell

Site Supporter
If you have the large Preston hook up above your side puller, if you need to increase the tension slip the bead under the hook up, no dangling elastic and you can get it tighter without shortening the amount of elastic.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
depends on the day,

all my kits are on winder bungs, takes 2 mins to get them out and adjust the laccie to suit

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Hi folks,

So been doing a few top kits recently, old pole so using pulla-bungs.

However Im always sat there arguing with myself on just how 'pingy', 'tight', 'slack' it should be. I know there's no hard or fast rule but just wondering if anyone has any tried and tested methods of making sure it's not too 'pingy'?

Thnx
I pre stretch elastics beforehand and set to just return under just a little tension

booboo

Site Supporter
If you are not 100 0/0 happy with your set up ( set elastic soft )
There is nothing wrong with having 2 puller beads on your elastic if its a bit on the soft side ? Nick speed has a video or part of a video showing you how he does it ? Yes you may have some elastic hanging from your puller but that's no hard ship in my book .
I do this all the time now. Most elastic stretches after a tussle with a good fish and the extra bead lets you quickly adjust it - any extra left dangling out the side of the pulla can be trimmed down when you have time.