how patient are you?

davylad

Site Supporter
What time did you get there Joe, at this time of the year after dinner can often be the best time. I used to fish a very hard water for big roach, I wouldn't expect a bite until after dinner, and then I'd maybe only get half a dozen or so, but worth the wait for roach over a pound. The strange thing though, if I went after dinner it wasn't the same, it was though they were sat there watching the 3 or 4 maggots going in every so often, then deciding when to have them.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
After 38 years (34 married) with my lass I have the patience of a saint... I can outlast a stone... that said, if summats not working within an hour on the bank, its time for a change

Alantherose

Site Supporter
For me it depends on whether I'm "experimenting" with a new bait/groundbait/on a new water or fishing what I'd regard as a banker. The other week I fished a reasonably under-fished gravel pit in "experimenting" mode and caught one small skimmer in a three hour session. It's a beautiful spot, I learned something, I'll try again in a week or so, no bother.

If I was fishing a commercial and others were pulling out a good few fish, I'd be annoyed if I wasn't and maybe mooch over and ask what they were doing different to me.

icaughtafishonce

Site Supporter
My Last 2 sessions I’ve blanked, one on the river, which was only ever gonna be a 4 hour trip and conditions weren’t right.

Today was the 2nd session, club water I’ve been told has some good roach fishing, spend 45 mins setting and plumbing up, had maggots and caster with me.
After 2 hours of no indications, no fish topping and no sign of any fish whatsoever I’m left with 2 choices. Move swims or go home, my mind goes to all the things I have left to do before opening my salon back up Wednesday and I go home.

So frustrated with myself, although admittedly it didn’t feel right and I felt like I wasn’t going to catch I wish I had the patience to sit it out.
I’ve picked up a nasty habit recently of packing up when sport is tough.

Anyone else go through these stages?
Yup, pretty patient. I think I've managed 10 sessions for barbel on the Wye this autumn and I've hooked three fish and landed none.
River fly fishing often means quite a lot of blanking as well. Tho I guess it's worth pointing out that I often only get a couple of hours to fish, so it's not quite as bad as it sounds.