How old is your bait?

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Bit of a clear-out today, found these, which I bought in 2003 -

MMFB.jpg

The glug is still liquid, and I had a couple of really good sessions on them, back in the day.
Worth a try, just for the hell of it?

Not so sure about this meat. When I bought it from the tackle shop in 2000, it was already past its sell-by date for human consumption!
:oops::sick:

Old meat.jpg

I love the Serving Suggestion - slice it up!

Bet some of you lot have older baits?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Not me, I always look at the dates on the tins and packets. I shudder to think how much money I've thrown away but I always get the freshest I can get hold of. I know stuff keeps longer when it's tinned, it's just one of my 'things' to sling it when out of date.

Dusty

MMFB.jpg

The glug is still liquid, and I had a couple of really good sessions on them, back in the day.

Not so sure about this meat. When I bought it from the tackle shop in 2000, it was already past its sell-by date for human consumption!
:oops::sick:

Old meat.jpg

I love the Serving Suggestion - slice it up!

Bet some of you lot have older baits?

I used to love using them mini meaty fish bites! I can still remember how they smelled as well!

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
Those little meat balls were great, smelled so strong and came in syrupy liquid that you would smell for days after.

rudd

Site Supporter
Couple of kilos of 10mm Nash F1 in freezer, well over ten years old.
I use them on the method with pellets.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter

MMFB.jpg

I used some that were over 5 years old, emptied the meat into a tub and then drained the glugg into some groundbait, stuck on a cage feeder for the GB and put the meat on the hook....worked brilliantly!

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
A cutting from an American survival article.....

n 1974, canned food recovered from a riverboat that sank in 1868 was tested by the National Food Processors Association (NFPA) to look for any bacteria, as well as to study the nutritional value that remained. The cans contained fruits, vegetables and oysters. The chemists found zero bacteria. Nutritionally, there was a significant loss of vitamins A and C, but the protein and calcium levels were normal. As for taste, I assume they could find no volunteers, so we’ll never know.
In another test, NFPA chemists opened a can of corn that had been stored for 40 years. They found that it was as fresh as a new can of corn

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
A cutting from an American survival article.....

n 1974, canned food recovered from a riverboat that sank in 1868 was tested by the National Food Processors Association (NFPA) to look for any bacteria, as well as to study the nutritional value that remained. The cans contained fruits, vegetables and oysters. The chemists found zero bacteria. Nutritionally, there was a significant loss of vitamins A and C, but the protein and calcium levels were normal. As for taste, I assume they could find no volunteers, so we’ll never know.
In another test, NFPA chemists opened a can of corn that had been stored for 40 years. They found that it was as fresh as a new can of corn

So how long will your frozen fish fingers be good for, Cap'n? :p

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
As for taste, I assume they could find no volunteers, so we’ll never know.

They should have offered it @Dave as a topping on a nice pork pie...i bet he'd have munched the lot and asked for more ;)

Simon R

Site Supporter
Sorting out the shed last year I found a plastic box which contained (among much Junk) some cans of corn and meat.

The dozen or so cans of corn had a use by date of 2019 (all gone now)
The five tins of Bacon Grill had use by dates of between 2008 and 2010 - so God knows when I bought them.

Anyway I opened the oldest and it looked like Bacon Grill, smelt like Bacon Grill - so I cubed it up and bunged it in the freezer (y)
I've got one tin left which I'm gonna leave for another ten years and see what happens.

Simon