How often do you clean your tackle (fishing)?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
In all seriousness I'm a bit anal about cleaning my gear... being almost antiques, I tend to clean everything (especially rods) down with a cloth after every trip, reels ( pins) get brushed off to stop bits getting into the pin bearing. And behind the backing plates
Fixed spools get a wipe off, nets get washed off and dried,
If you look after yer toys they'll last longer...👍😎

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I wipe slime, mud and bait off rods, reels, nets, banksticks etc and clean out bait boxes after each use and wash slime rags either when I change venues or when they start looking sorry for themselves. My chair is long past cleaning though as because a slime rag when I forget a slime rag! Then my ruck bag doesn’t really get dirty so basically I don’t have much cleaning to do and certainly don’t do to it a high standard as it’s fishing tackle after all not your finest china.
I don't touch our fine china! Doing anything with that frightens the life out of me! Xmas din dins is a nightmare!

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
My tackle is stored in an integral garage, along with fridge freezer etc, etc in fact everything but what it was originally intended for, a car . This means if one fly gets into the house its because of me infesting the place with left-over maggots and casters ! So even if nothing else gets cleaned ,bait tubs are attended to immediately
As is mine (tackle) Our garage has changed it's name by deed poll to "Man Cave". Due to the rising cost of Energy the additional freezer in there is gradually losing it's frozen foodstuffs. My intention is to turn it off, but it is handy for bait storage (not told the wife that bit yet)

Chitterlings & Hodge

Clean my kit after every session, I just treat it as part and parcel of going fishing.

Any used rigs and hook lengths get tied up ready for the next outing,

Everything used gets dunked in water or wiped down, the pole and rods (if used) have the joints rubbed with candle wax and after wiping them down I usually give them a wipe with those armour all dashboard wipes.

I like the idea of the of the interior car shampoo Chervil (y)

Fred Davis

I must admit I do clean my kit as it aids my efficiancy when fishing also as it is stored between trips I don't want pellets groundbait etc which stick to your gear attracting mice and rats, one of the lads I know had his pole ruined by mice so clean yer gear unless you ain't bothered about 3 grand going up in smoke.

booboo

Site Supporter
I've taken to wiping everything down with my hand towel after matches. Soak it in the lake then get all the worst off rods, reels, pole/topkits (paste) and footplate. Ok, it's pond water and not Mr sheen, but it does stop the build up of gunk. I do this while nets dry and I finish any tea in the flask if not in a rush.

Fred Davis

BooBoo basically do the same as your waiting for the scales spend the time doing a bit of a clean up, normally a tub of water or two cleans off the bait on the footplate can't stand mice they eat everything lol

Dslayer

dslayer
As I'm always off for two months over the summer, finished on the 1st of July, was back in on Thursday. I tend to do the majority of my fishing during that time, including a 2-week fishing holiday each year. Now waiting for the time I can get close to my local river Ivel.

Whilst I will wash bait tubs and mixing bowls after every session, I took the opportunity today to clean rods, reels, landing net handles nets and bank sticks and to empty out my tackle and feeder boxes and give them a clean, also an opportunity to see what needs restocking.

I also had a sort through and tidy of my bait shelves.

1662210935305.jpg

Whilst the weather is still nice, I used some car interior shampoo to wash my Korum chair, it has never been cleaned before, I was amazed just how dirty the water was that was running off it.

It has come up like new.

1662210956331.jpg

1662210871319.jpg

1662210906683.jpg

How often do you clean your kit?
TBH I've never cleaned my tackle in 65+ years of fishing!!