How often do you clean your tackle (fishing)?

Chervil

Site Supporter
As I'm always off for two months over the summer, finished on the 1st of July, was back in on Thursday. I tend to do the majority of my fishing during that time, including a 2-week fishing holiday each year. Now waiting for the time I can get close to my local river Ivel.

Whilst I will wash bait tubs and mixing bowls after every session, I took the opportunity today to clean rods, reels, landing net handles nets and bank sticks and to empty out my tackle and feeder boxes and give them a clean, also an opportunity to see what needs restocking.

I also had a sort through and tidy of my bait shelves.

1662210935305.jpg

Whilst the weather is still nice, I used some car interior shampoo to wash my Korum chair, it has never been cleaned before, I was amazed just how dirty the water was that was running off it.

It has come up like new.

1662210956331.jpg

1662210871319.jpg

1662210906683.jpg

How often do you clean your kit?

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Every time it gets used. All down to the fact that pretty much all my kit is stored in the house.
The only kit that's in the shed (which is brick built with the alarm linked to the house alarm) is my shuttle and nets along with bait.

BoldBear

I clean my kit whenever it needs cleaning which is after it’s been used in muddy conditions or has got some ground bait on it. Usually my kit gets a spring clean once a year in the early spring when getting it ready for the coming year.

If it has got dirty I don’t really want to start cleaning my kit if I’ve got back from fishing on a cold winters night, so if it has got really dirty I’ll leave it to be done the following morning.

NB: your chair came up quite nice after your clean.

Keith

Last edited:

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
Anything bait oriented gets washed and dried after use, rods, reels, luggage, seatbox, when they look like they need it. Normally on wet horrible day when when the river is flooded and I'm at a loose end. Probably a couple times over winter the whole kit, messy groundbait days I'll probably just whizz over the rods n reels I've been useing on the day.

BaldiMug

Usually the day after returning from fishing - on returning from a trip (I'm usually knackered) there is usually something that needs doing around the flat, even if it's just showering and eating. I find leaving it until the next day I can focus on cleaning everything properly and have more motivation than the day before.

Aztecca

Site Supporter
I clean mine as much as possible.The chair looks great im going to give mine a go too.

Whisker

Here, there and everywhere.
Site Supporter
Bait tubs after use, towels regular and the rest… maybe in winter… 😇

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I usually clean my kit the day after I come back from fishing except for the nets which mostly get hung on the washing line as soon as I unload my kit. Towels after every silverfish or slimy session otherwise when I remember that they need a wash. Seatbox gets a regular clean chair? Eek! (not so much - yours looks good)

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Depends on what it is, where it has been used and the conditions on the day. However, I clean my centrepins every time they are used. I usually clean rods after every use too. However, I'm not quite as fastidious about rods as I am centrepin reels. I do find it quite amazing quite how manky a tip section can get even on seemingly clear stillwaters. Bait containers get washed up properly after I've done the dishes.

Some of this is driven by a dislike of using manky kit. However, it's mostly because my gear is kept indoors and I like to keep stuff looking and working as well as possible for as long as possible.

Greeny1178

Site Supporter
Yeah rinse the reels when I get in , that’s because I do it with my multipliers so when I ever I get in , rest of kit only when needed, rags and tubs washed after every trip .

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Every time I’m out, I’m usually sat in the water on my platform anyway, I always have a paint brush with me, my box, side trays, boxes all get cleaned, then my rods and reels are cleaned, oiled and dried, before storing on a rack👍

RMNDIL

Site Supporter
Depends on the condition of it when I get home but if anything needs doing then as soon as I get home. Nets up the garden to dry, wipe the rod holdall & carryall with bucket & sponge, same goes for B&B and maybe jacket if it was raining. All bait containers get cleaned out, bait riddled before going into fridge etc etc

Godber

.Nobice and inventor of W@nkles
Site Supporter
Usually swill out bait boxes at the venue, side tray gets a dunk, bucket of water over the footplate. When l'm home l give my reels a brushing to get rid off dried groundbait, the rods get a wipe down and thats about it. Waterproofs might get washed once a year, luggage aswell. Me, l shower twice a day. 😁