How much

Dusty

How much money would it take for you to leave your job tomorrow and never have to bother with working again?

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Ive said before i love my Job, great people, pick what i want to do and get payed well for it so if i won 500k yes i would be off to Tenerife to look for a little apartment and do nowt for the rest of my days.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d say equivalent of 50k a year for about 50 years to see me into proper old age so a fair bit. Think I’d need a part time job for the winter to keep me sane and top it up though.

Phillip MGBGT

Site Supporter
I did it 4yrs ago, £100,000 would be a nice parting sum and then retire, nice company pension etc. Every days saturday to me now.
I obviously wouldn't earn that much in 18mths, so brilliant for me, I think I'd get in the wifes way at times though, so would have to go fishing out the way.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Depends on circumstances. I was able to give up work at 53, eleven years ago. I had repaid the mortgage, had been getting a pension from the age of 50, The Boss was happy with her job and carried on working for a few more years and we had a decent amount of savings invested. I won't go into figures but we now live quite well on two pensions (The Boss pays no income tax on hers) and a small amount of investment income.

If you still have a large mortgage and expensive tastes then you will need much more than we manage on.

spark1

I don't have a permanent job so will never become institutionalized and miserable so don't even think like it.

The amount of people who retire and become bored and miserable and don't have any conversation in them anymore.

I would sooner work and stay in the loop and have a laugh etc etc

Wise Owl

Account Locked
To be honest i get bored and would want summat to do so im glad im in a position to do just that.

spark1

The amount people who go fishing who have retired and are as dull as flip got nothing of any interest to talk about. I don't want to end of like them Thanks

You can have all the money in the world and be retired but you can't buy happiness

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I make it 2.5m Neil.

I’d still work a bit if I got given it though would go mad if not as everyone else is at work after all so would get boring at times. I’d probably buy some little business related to one of my hobbies. Ideal would be to pick when I work by the weather, wouldn’t work much in the summer but would make up for it in the winter.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
The amount people who go fishing who have retired and are as dull as flip got nothing of any interest to talk about. I don't want to end of like them Thanks

I know exactly where ya coming from mate, ya see some with time to do what they want with their wifes and the just moan at other that are doing just that. Give me a building site with a right set of lads and a few hours work any day (y) Just to add as well ive been offered out for a beer with more of the lads who im old enough to be their dads this xmas so i cant be doing too bad.

spark1

I know exactly where ya coming from mate, ya see some with time to do what they want with their wifes and the just moan at other that are doing just that. Give me a building site with a right set of lads and a few hours work any day (y)
Exactly mate, even though at times work can be a pain. I won't turn in it unless I physically can't do it anymore and then Ill just do a few hours a week helping out somewhere like teaching youngsters in a college.

In the Construction game you meet people from all walks of life and can't beat it :giggle: and that's something money can't buy having a laugh

Chervil

Site Supporter
I retired at 52, with a pension not that short of the national average wage, no mortgage. Was bored stupid by 10 o'clock on day one. Was volunteering 4 days a week in two local schools, have been working with children and adults with learning difficulties for 5 and a half years out of the 8 I've been retired. Could be earning 3-4 times what I get paid now. However we have a very good lifestyle, I don't need the money and I get a great deal of satisfaction out of my job. I work to keep busy. Money isn't everything. My problem is I get bored very quickly, so may look a around for something else.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Free time is the greatest enemy of those that retire early and you find some just spend it in the pub.
Drink to some just makes them miserable and unfortunately also those that have to listen to them.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I did work out once roughly how much my “dream life” would cost. Worked out about £3m in assets and about another £3m to keep me going then extra income would come from renting out the assets when not in use. Wasnt very exact and obviously a lot of money but not that much compared to some celebrities which makes you realise how crazily rich they are!

Silver fan 82

I think it depends how old you are. Im 37 with two young kids so probably 2-3 million in realistic terms?
Would have to invest in the right places though. My dream would be t study fishery management then buy some land, design, build and stock my own lakes then maybe open them up as day ticket waters.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I work on my own and not very much so it wouldn't take much for me. 500k is realistic.