How much to watch ?

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
My regular fishing mate rang me as I was driving to meet him for my first time fishing this year. The rain was bouncing off the car and the wind was howling .He said he was clinging to his rod with one hand and hanging onto his umbrella with the other..he had been there an hour ( always gets up earlier than me ) and was soaked and fishless.
He was about to pack up.......so I turned around and set off for the half-hour drive home....fairweather softy that I am.. Lunchtime came and looking out the window the sun was shining.......so I called Alan who had dried out a bit and had caught 4 carp..........I decided to go just take my chair and sit with him for the remaining afternoon.. Every time..... the sun came out and the wind dropped his rod tip went round ...nothing too big..........and even though I didn't fish it was a real joy to be out ..so refreshing . Alan left at 4 pm and had 16 in all .....4 in the last 20 mins when it went calm they went bonkers.
When the owner came round........I asked how much to spectate......£20 he said ...I do like a tryer :)

Last edited:

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
There are already a fair few fisheries that charge for spectators, it ranges from a couple quid to half the day ticket price, I personally would not pay to spectate ( keep a mate company) on the otherhand if it were a coaching session that's a bit different. I can see why fisheries do it, to stop whole family's 4-5 turning up causing mayhem in one peg and not knowing who is actually fishing, why its normally one per peg or guardian/parent and a child.

davej1981

Not sure about day ticket waters, but certainly club rules state that anyone on the club waters must be a member. As such they do sell non fishing memberships should you wish to accompany some and not fish. Think its around £10 a year

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
Wow.........this owner who said £20 was just having a laugh.............I never realised it was a real thing.

But thinking about it last year a whole tribe turned up in 4 vehicles....erected a marquee filled it with cooking gear and had a party..........I was about 50 yds away ..........packed up after they started hammering stakes in the ground to erect a toilet tent............