How much tackle you got?

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
It is very easy to fall into the tackle trap when little improvements come through and marketing hits its target, at times I feel like a drug dealer supplying the fishing addicts :p
I tend to look at all the options from different firms then choose what I think is best for me then keep it for many years and knowing what I want it to do means I am rarely disappointed.
Sometimes it might be something that did not sell in the shop that I finish up using but the only thing that I have in that area is a Tournament 500 seatbox that I adopted for Irish trips but due to covid its been once in May 2019 as I could not go in September that year due to my missus going in hospital and once in November so a bit of a waste now :unsure:

Pyffy

Site Supporter
People seem to be obsessed with having everything straight away these days !! Ok, so I have everything I need, but it’s taken me years to build my kit up, through earning better money, and upgrading etc ........Now you get someone whose first pole has to be a £2k + pole,then the next week they’re asking how to make rigs , how to elasticate, what floats ,etc 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️, just started fishing but got to have everything.....There’s so much more to fishing than having all the latest kit 🤷‍♂️I think a lot of people these days just think buy all the kit, watch some top anglers on YouTube-job done, go out and copy it
As some one who has been hooked on angling since my dad first took me fishing aged around 7 I have 50 years of kit, from old hand me downs, to the new shiny stuff I have been able to afford to buy in the last few years. All my kit shows a gradual progression from the second hand 13ft glass fibre rod that weighed a ton but helped me learn to fish a waggler on the local Nene to the Cadence 15ft float rod I bought last year. My first pole that was an 11m Silstar Ian Heaps that taught me how to pole fish using maggots, worms and my favourite hemp and tares and has been replaced a few times culminating in the Matrix MTX3 I bought this month. My first carbon rod was a 12ft Daiwa Jaguar that ended up at 11'6" after hitting the only river/boat sign within a mile when striking at a chub and hitting the sign edge on severing the line losing the top in the river. It's caught fish from a few ounces up to carp of 10lb, however it's still one of the first rods I put in my bag when fishing the local narrow backwater as I have so much faith in it. However money can't buy experience and as you say, you can buy the most expensive kit in the world, but the only way you can truly learn to use it is by getting out on the bank and putting into practice all the methods detailed in the plethora of online video tutorials, magazine articles and forums such as this. As anglers we've never had it so good and long may this continue.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I’m not downcrying anyone for buying good gear , but I just feel that people are putting too much emphasis on the tackle , as opposed learning the basics first ..I remember when I got my first pole, there was no internet, no Maggotdrowners, etc , you had to learn for yourself, by trial and error, and work things out from what you already know,
Great advice 👍, learn how to ,when to and why , i fished for years with very cheap tackle but i never had a fish complaining 😇

stikflote

Site Supporter
Ive got far to much but you can only use one or two at a time ,i never fish two rods at a time,so
why the hell do i need 5 feeder rods five float rods ,two 16mtr poles 4 margin poles.
Inever know which ones i need i might as well chuck a coin and pick one,
Ps i have three boxes and at last count 12 reels