How much tackle you got?

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
It's a curse. And a never ending one.

And now I have bought myself a thirteen ft Jon boat (flat bottomed aluminium boat), with a 2.3 hp Honda and a suitable trailer to go with it. And I'm busily debating with myself what size of Garmin Echomap device I should buy, and exactly what transducer I need to go with it.
Nice 👌 you will get some enjoyment out of that ,you only live once ,if you can afford it ,get it i say

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Over the past five years I have thinned down my collection of rods down from 40 plus to 22. Reels stand at 23. A 16m pole, a margin pole and four whips. Four seatboxes for me to trip over in the garage.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
And now I have bought myself a thirteen ft Jon boat (flat bottomed aluminium boat), with a 2.3 hp Honda and a suitable trailer to go with it. And I'm busily debating with myself what size of Garmin Echomap device I should buy, and exactly what transducer I need to go with it.
I did similar a few years ago. Got a 16ft inflatable skiff, 5hp Honda outboard, bison 30lb thrust (I think) trolling motor, folding anchor, rod holders etc. Not got nearly enough use out of it yet to justify the expense but seemed like a a good idea at the time and is fun when I do use it!

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
I did similar a few years ago. Got a 16ft inflatable skiff, 5hp Honda outboard, bison 30lb thrust (I think) trolling motor, folding anchor, rod holders etc. Not got nearly enough use out of it yet to justify the expense but seemed like a a good idea at the time and is fun when I do use it!
Much of the attraction is to be able to access part of rivers and lakes I wouldn't be able to reach by foot. To bring my bivvy and bedchair to exactly where I want to, set camp, and fish for the whole weekend. Also to be able to map out areas effectively. And, of course, to hunt for perch. But I will certainly back it into the reeds, and fish a float for rudd and roach among the lilly pads.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Much of the attraction is to be able to access part of rivers and lakes I wouldn't be able to reach by foot. To bring my bivvy and bedchair to exactly where I want to, set camp, and fish for the whole weekend. Also to be able to map out areas effectively. And, of course, to hunt for perch. But I will certainly back it into the reeds, and fish a float for rudd and roach among the lilly pads.
Sounds idyllic, happy days

CarpCatcher86

I have everything I need and nothing I don't. Apart from a new 120g spinning rod I've had my eye on and a reel to go with it.

baggy

Mark Saunders
Most of my kit has been bought for certain jobs.
2 poles
7 whips
Float rods: 4 x 13ft, 2 x 12ft, 3 x 11ft
Feeder rods: 1 x 11/13ft, 1 x 12.6ft, 2 x 12ft, 5 x 11ft, 1 x 10ft, 1 x 9 ft

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I don’t know how many rods I’ve got exactly, probably around 30. I did list the Dave Harrell ones on another thread and had 3 more than I thought I had. I do know I have 5 poles, 2 whips and 4 seat boxes . I have stuff everywhere. I may dig it out and catalog it all for insurance purposes, but I think the queer one might get a bit waspy if she knew how much I’ve got.

Dean56

Site Supporter
I say not enough Memsahib says too much
Memsahib and I have agreement, Sahib does not look in wardrobes at shoes and handbags, Memsahib does not look in workshop at rods and reels (and the two poles I recently added in stealth mode). I am probably screwed in the Afterlife though when Memsahib starts EBaying it all.

Maverick

Site Supporter
9 rods and 9 reels at the moment. Everytime I decide to cut down and sell a rod and a reel I soon go and buy 2 more rods & 2 reels to replace them and add further to my problem.

It's a terminal illness many of us suffer from :ROFLMAO:

BBear

Site Supporter
I worry that I have too much gear but reading this maybe I’m not as afflicted as some.

3 floats rods, 3 feeder rods and 4 reels. 3 Sea rods and reels. 1 fly rod with 2 reels. That’s stuff I actually use as I still have old stuff I’ll never sell like my old Mitchell and Abu reels.

but my real problem is my other love, mountain biking. Just upgraded to an e mountain bike as age has finally caught up with me (59) - couldn’t really afford it but promised the wife that I’d sell off my other bikes. I suppose I’d better then...

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I worry that I have too much gear but reading this maybe I’m not as afflicted as some.

3 floats rods, 3 feeder rods and 4 reels. 3 Sea rods and reels. 1 fly rod with 2 reels. That’s stuff I actually use as I still have old stuff I’ll never sell like my old Mitchell and Abu reels.

but my real problem is my other love, mountain biking. Just upgraded to an e mountain bike as age has finally caught up with me (59) - couldn’t really afford it but promised the wife that I’d sell off my other bikes. I suppose I’d better then...
Lightweight. 10 rods and 9 reels is not really trying at all. I suggest a bit more effort is needed.😉🤣🤣

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well a couple on the wanted list have moved to the got list now so updated current list as follows:

14ft drennan acolyte ultra float
13ft drennan acolyte ultra float
13ft cadence CR10 #1 float
10ft daiwa ninja float
11ft drennan acolyte ultra feeder
10ft Shakespeare Mach wand feeder
8-10ft tfgear compact all rounder
11ft John Wilson Avon/quiver travel
8ft korum snapper drop shot
8ft Leeda spinning of some sort
Drennan 7 series float 300 RD
Drennan 7 series feeder 400 RD
Shimano Sahara 2500 RD x 2
Daiwa Ninja 2500 FD
Cadence CS7 4000 FD
TFGear match/feeder 300 RD
Shimano 2000 FD think a sienna
A centre pin of some sort
7ft6 12-20lb daiwa saltist braid special downtide boat
7ft6 6-12lb Shimano vegence slim downtide boat
8-9ft 15-40g shimano ax-stc exage travel spinning
6ft6 6-15lb ugly stick travel spinning
7ft Penn overseas pro I think 20-30lb travel.
Pflueger president 350 FD
3 multipliers from Abu, penn and finor of which I have no idea of the models without looking.
4M Garbolino 158 tele whip

Not sure what will be added next. It’s coming into a fairly dead time of the year for fishing for me so probably won’t add anymore til we get to back end of April as start of May to end of November is proper fishing season for me. Not to say I won’t be scanning for bargains in the mean time though 😉

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
People seem to be obsessed with having everything straight away these days !! Ok, so I have everything I need, but it’s taken me years to build my kit up, through earning better money, and upgrading etc ........Now you get someone whose first pole has to be a £2k + pole,then the next week they’re asking how to make rigs , how to elasticate, what floats ,etc 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️, just started fishing but got to have everything.....There’s so much more to fishing than having all the latest kit 🤷‍♂️I think a lot of people these days just think buy all the kit, watch some top anglers on YouTube-job done, go out and copy it

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
People seem to be obsessed with having everything straight away these days !! Ok, so I have everything I need, but it’s taken me years to build my kit up, through earning better money, and upgrading etc ........Now you get someone whose first pole has to be a £2k + pole,then the next week they’re asking how to make rigs 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️, just started fishing but got to have everything.....There’s so much more to fishing than having all the latest kit 🤷‍♂️I think a lot of people these days just think buy all the kit, watch some top anglers on YouTube-job done, go out and copy it

Been fishing for over 50 years, and Ive only ever had one new pole, and I bought that at the start of last year, my super catch em all Airity XLS,

just delivered the poles and bits to the fellow drowner, and even though it was an oldish pole, (preston protocol) you could see in the fellas eyes he was proper made up with it, woulda loved to see his nippers face too when he gets home and gives him the margin pole too

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
People seem to be obsessed with having everything straight away these days !! Ok, so I have everything I need, but it’s taken me years to build my kit up, through earning better money, and upgrading etc ........Now you get someone whose first pole has to be a £2k + pole,then the next week they’re asking how to make rigs , how to elasticate, what floats ,etc 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️, just started fishing but got to have everything.....There’s so much more to fishing than having all the latest kit 🤷‍♂️I think a lot of people these days just think buy all the kit, watch some top anglers on YouTube-job done, go out and copy it
That's a good point, but suppose if they can afford it fair play to them if that's what they want to do. Must confuse newcomers a bit when they go straight in with the kitchen sink approach though.

I definitely went with the build it up approach myself. I've got the overwhelming majority of my gear in the last maybe 5 years or so as its only been in that time that I've both been able to afford it and been good enough (well sort of 😉) to justify having it. Through my student days as far as I recall I just had 1 float rod, 1 feeder rod, 2 spinning rods and 2 boat rods, well along with a handful of reels. So I've pretty much tripled the rods and more than doubled the reels since I've both been able to afford to and been sort of good enough to justify them.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
That's a good point, but suppose if they can afford it fair play to them if that's what they want to do. Must confuse newcomers a bit when they go straight in with the kitchen sink approach though.

I definitely went with the build it up approach myself. I've got the overwhelming majority of my gear in the last maybe 5 years or so as its only been in that time that I've both been able to afford it and been good enough (well sort of 😉) to justify having it. Through my student days as far as I recall I just had 1 float rod, 1 feeder rod, 2 spinning rods and 2 boat rods, well along with a handful of reels. So I've pretty much tripled the rods and more than doubled the reels since I've both been able to afford to and been sort of good enough to justify them.
I’m not downcrying anyone for buying good gear , but I just feel that people are putting too much emphasis on the tackle , as opposed learning the basics first ..I remember when I got my first pole, there was no internet, no Maggotdrowners, etc , you had to learn for yourself, by trial and error, and work things out from what you already know,