How much rain....

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Anything more than heavy drizzle really, not pleasant getting wet is it. Main problem for me being predominantly a river angler is that the amount of rain we’ve had recently has put way too much water into the rivers!

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
At the moment it's not taking a lot as this will be into the fourth week running that the Lower Severn has been over three and a half metres or more above the normal level.
I like my flood water fishing but the banks have just been far too unsafe.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Why should rain stop you fishing? Plenty of times I have sat for 5/6 hours in rain and I don't use an umbrella. Good outer suit will keep you dry underneath so you ignore the rain and carry on fishing.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I was fishing the river Eden in Carlisle years ago and it came up over 10 feet and flooded the golf course where we had taken shelter for a quick pint.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Fished the Thames last Thursday, gin clear and almost still.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
At the moment all the him up there wants to send down, some of my waters are 18" to 2ft down. Need more water! I also go whenever I can sod the weather as I'm not sugar and wont melt. Greenhouse to dry everything in.?

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wind is more likely to stop me than rain - I hate fishing in strong wind, and if I hate it, why do it? Given that most of what I do is specimen type fishing, rain on it's own doesn't hugely bother me (I was out blanking yesterday) as I can just hide from it!

RichB

I work outside and loathe getting wet. I've spent 20 years getting regularly soaked, I hate it. Hence, if it's anything more than a passing light shower I'll be staying home and the rods will be staying in the cupboard.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
TrickyD - some bits of Thames near me are still fine but some of the narrower stretches are well on the way up now.

Also agree with everyone regarding the wind, it drives me mad! I’ll take a windless day sat in persistent drizzle over a dry day with a strong wind every time.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
When I'm fishing with maggots and they have all swam off.

They're going to get wet anyway when catapulted in..aren't they? :unsure: :giggle:
I sit under a 60inch brolly to the right hand side, my bait waiter is to my left, my carry-all is behind my seat all nice and dry.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
What waterproofs do you use Neil???

For Winter I have an old Drifish coat. It may have been a Preston brand but there is no other name on it than Drifish. Bib & Brace is Korum (Preston's other brand).

What I do is keep the coat and B&B for predicted wet days so I don't wear them out unnecessarily when it is dry. That way the coat has lasted years.

For Summer I have a suit made of a material called Fortex by Castle clothing. Unlined and thus good Summer weight. OK for showers but can let a bit of moisture through in continued rain. The B&B has no fly so I now use their overtrousers. But the price is for me the main selling point. A lot less than fishing brand clothing.

For dry days in Winter I use the Korum B&B but an old one that is no longer fully waterproof and a Buckland Tuff Stuff workwear jacket. Again a lot cheaper than branded fishing clothing and probably the warmest jacket I have ever owned. Cost me about £29. Not sure why workwear that is excellent quality is that much cheaper than dedicated fishing clothing.

PAB

Site Supporter
They're going to get wet anyway when catapulted in..aren't they? :unsure: :giggle:
I sit under a 60inch brolly to the right hand side, my bait waiter is to my left, my carry-all is behind my seat all nice and dry.
that's fine once you are setup but getting un loaded and to the swim is a pain when it pouring down.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
that's fine once you are setup but getting un loaded and to the swim is a pain when it pouring down.

Been lucky in that respect, each time sly and myself have gone somewhere it's been more or less 'park behind your peg' waters.