How much do our coarse fish eat?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Article from the AT.

Nothing much surprising here, we all know fish eat less in winter, but it's quite a bit less.

This explains why I will only use micros through the feeder with preferably 'low feed' groundbait in winter. My approach, only fishing cage feeders is a bit boom or bust. I considered switching to a bomb yesterday when not catching regularly but stuck it out with a small cage feeder. I've said before I think on commercials I think I can throw quite a bit of said groundbait and micros at the fish, at least on a good day, but when it's difficult it's probably time to rethink my quite narrow approach.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
All depends if they are in a natural environment or a Commercial where every fish is starving and has to fight for it's life to survive. ;)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Yesterday I mixed up half a kilo of groundbait mixed 70/30 with micros and after a day of feeder fishing had half of it left so at least it brings the bait bill down a bit.

This video recommends starting off not feeding at all. Seems to be a common tactic.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
^^ Was that opening image taken on a River?

(time to go cook lunch........ ;) )

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Having a pond has been quite a good indicator of how well fish are feeding. Mine were like piranhas up until about 6 weeks ago then slowed up a fair bit then in the last couple weeks they’ve hardly wanted to eat at all.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That video is at Decoy Lakes if I'm right.

We have a pond but only 3 goldfish in there and my dad feeds them, they barely eat in winter too.