how much bait

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray

hiya wave.gif when you go for a out for a session how much bait do you take with you.

i tend to take the following as standard, maggots,corn + flavouring,meat of various sizes,pellets of various sizes,paste, that is enough to fill 7 or eight bait boxs, then depending on the venue and what i have read or heard in the tackle shop i will maybe take worms,casters,hemp,groundbait,bread. also there are a few oddments i tend to take, mussels,prawns,cat meat, due you think that this is a lot of bait, is it the same for everyone?,what do you take?

ps....most of it comes home with me.

dont leave dog ends on the bank....take em home.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Ray, I am easy to buy bait for.

I tend to take maggots (mixed in colour) casters, luncheon meat, corn and worms. If i can't catch on that I give up.

Geoff
If it swims, catch it.

bart4real

Hi,
Bait restrictions often dictate what you can use but very often, there is no need take the maximum. At this time of year, one small tin of corn will be enough for most commercial fisheries, along with two pints of caster, or maggot. There is no need to pile the stuff in because you can catch a lot of fish without feeding at all. Carp tend to move out the swim at this time of year if bait is thrown in. I take a couple of pints of caster in case I want to fish for roach and skimmers. During the warmer weather, I take only worm and caster as it usually out fishes every other bait. I start by cupping in around 40 worms chopped and mixed with caster on the long pole. As the day progresses I look to be catching on caster up in the water. Every fishery is different but if you avoid the pellets and groundbait and stick to feeding with caster, your results usually increase. Fish often become very difficult to catch if pellets are introduced and groundbait catches far more anglers than fish.

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Hi you will all probely laugh at me i only buy half a pint of caster and red and white maggots lol , a loaf of bread , loads of worms , and a smal tin of sweetcorn...
i know that is not alot but im like the only one fishing....

Regards
Gf

david platt

Fusilier
quote:
Ray, I am easy to buy bait for.

I tend to take maggots (mixed in colour) casters, luncheon meat, corn and worms. If i can't catch on that I give up.

Geoff
If it swims, catch it.

Hey Up Geoff have you been stood behind me looking into my bait boxes
Thats Identical to what I take
david

lanc

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Bait list for tomorrow,
  • 1 pint maggots (mixed)
  • half pint pinkies (fluro)
  • small tin sweetcorn
  • small tin luncheon meat
I expect to catch on the first three,the meat is a get out of jail option if it all goes horribly wrong.
An old chap once told me that 80% of matches were won with plan A,20% with plan B,if you got to plan C D or E,it was time to pack up.
I normally try to tailor my bait list to any knowledge that i have of the venue,and the planned approach.Taking to many variations of bait can tend to confuse the issue.
Peter. thumbsup.gif

Happiness is a rod in your hand.

MALC

What i carry varies with every venue:
Two examples follow.

Todays pleasure session on feeder at carp venue:
half tin corn
quarter pint red maggot
handfull exspander pellet
2 kilo groundbait.

Tomorrows match on canal:
tin of corn
quarter pint red maggot
worm
4 slices bread
1 kilo groundbait.

Dont laugh about tomorrows bait for the cut it's Bream or bust and they love corn over groundbait even in the winter.

Malc

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Ray,
I'm glad you posted this as I'm not only a tackle tart but a bait tart too!
I'm pleased to see such sense from Malc, Pete, Geoff and Giles.
The other day ,I set out with ONLY Bloodworm and Joker to give it a fair try and comparison.But! ,after being a bit disappointed with the stamp of fish, somehow I found in the last hour, a few maggots and a small tub of Pinkies and even a tin of corn, in the bottom of my bag!!!

Pellets, meaty bites, hemp, meat groundbait, Sensas lake (red and black)crumb,mackerel oil!!! should be in my piking bag, Swim stoi koi,trout pellets,carp pellets, garlic and turmeric!!!!!!!!!!!.
I lug em there, dont open and lug em away!
You should have seen the waste at Makins, when without an Umbrella for the day,the rain ruined s of baits!!!
I bet the fish (as Waxi pointed out) wanna see me again!
This has got to change!
Thanks fellers for your sensible advice and as soon as my freezer is emptied of mince and steak,spratts ,smelt, Tutti Frutti boilies, Herring ,Mackerel (oops Gudgeon) and the Kit-e-Kat, Pedigree chum etc. comes off the top of the fridge, the better I'll be pleased.
Now I gotta close, cos I've gotta try out my new liquidiser with some bread, roll this cheese paste and theres a wasp nest in the oven, but as its warm I,ve got too collect some lobs and slugs, and those tares will be soft enough on the hob shortly!, so I can add the bicarbonate.
Doh! Why did I ever learn to read!

cya

Zip

Ziptrev your resident alcoholic2.gif

Edited by - Ziptrev on 03 February 2002 02:59:21 AM

ray

hey zip, dont know if i'm a "bait tart"......lol, but i also have lots of bait box's,tubs,bags of stuff in my bag (pandoras box)that go with me every session and dont get used but i take them "just incase"

now what size van will i need for elvington?????

dont leave dog ends on the bank....take em home.

Status
Not open for further replies.