How much bait for Barbel?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
How much bait do you feed for Barbel fishing?

I hear conflicting stories that make me think a lot depends on variables like conditions and venue.

For example, watching Des Taylor videos he puts in a ton of hemp at the start. I’m also told by people that fish the weir on the Stour for Barbel that the way to catch them is to feed a load of hemp in a bait dropper then sit and wait.

On the other hand, I’ve read reports that for early season Barbel, the bailiff at Hampton Loade recommends fishing a bomb and not feeding to good success.

Personally, I have just been using a Preston Claw Feeder and casting every so often as I think the fish want more bait, plugging alternatively hemp and pellets between some groundbait.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head there in that it probably varies. My understanding from my limited experience of it is that if you are going to use baits like maggot or pellets you need quite a lot of bait but with bigger stinkier baits like meat or paste you don’t need so much.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I always carry some bombs with me for situations I don’t think the feeder is the right way to go but so far I’ve always been fishing a feeder. I’m thinking early season I may have been better trying a bomb especially on stretches that probably already saw a lot of bait go in.

As a side note my Mainline Dissolva Hookbaits have just arrived that I think might be good to fool a few fish as they will look like bait that’s been in the water for a while and really stink too.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I would think that if you know the fish are in that particular spot of that very swim you are fishing , then a straight lead with a smelly bait should be fine. If you have to draw the fish into the swim, then hemp, groundbait and pellets will be needed, otherwise how are the fish going to find your bait. As to the amount, that would depend on how big the river is and how fast it’s flowing.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
One thing I've been trying is sometimes really squishing the pellets into the feeder so they stay in leaving only a scent trail. Heard that is a good a tactic.

nejohn

Site Supporter
When I lived in the North East there was a peg on the river wear that if you did not put in at least a couple of pints of hemp and crushed casters via a bait dropper at the start of the session you had little chance of a barbel, yet go 50 yards upstream and the little and often approach would be the only way to catch so as has been said the right method can vary peg to peg never mind venue to venue

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Experiment Zerkalo. Try it. One day try the little and often, another try giving the swim some welly. See what happens. What we tend to do on the Tidal Trent is fish two rods with the upper of the two rods being a feeder set up. I’ve seen many an angler try bait droppers and spodding to no avail. I like to get the bait to where the fish like feeding and that with Barbel is usually on the bottom.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I must remember to take a catapult next time so I can try firing hemp over the top of my feeder if within range.

jpwebster

Really depends on the river and the time of year/conditions. I've had more success with bomb/pellet, feeding nothing the first hour and only trickling some in if there's no sign of interest.

jpwebster

It's worth mentioning most of my fishing is done on the tidal Hull with a few sessions per season on the Wharfe, so being Small/Medium in size the fish are bound to move around more. I've had zero success on the Trent so far with either tactics :cry: :LOL:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I’m going to head to Arley this evening and chance that it’s not too busy and hopefully get a peg for me and my dad. Baitwise I have 1kg of Decathlon River groundbait to which I will mix in a tin of sweetcorn and some Mainline Cell Particle mix. Then some hemp and Coppens pellets to plug in the feeder. And hook baits I have trusty Sonubaits Barbel Hookbaits and a new one for me, Mainline Dissolvas. Quite cheap to go once your all set up.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’m going to head to Arley this evening and chance that it’s not too busy and hopefully get a peg for me and my dad. Baitwise I have 1kg of Decathlon River groundbait to which I will mix in a tin of sweetcorn and some Mainline Cell Particle mix. Then some hemp and Coppens pellets to plug in the feeder. And hook baits I have trusty Sonubaits Barbel Hookbaits and a new one for me, Mainline Dissolvas. Quite cheap to go once your all set up.
Fished with my dad yesterday Zerkalo. One of the most enjoyable sessions I've had in a while. Good luck mate. ?

PS .... Keep it simple pal. Don't over complicate matey.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm determined to see him catch his 'first' Barbel so it keeps his interest but we will have a good time anyway. (y)

mimississ

I use 2 rods, 1 on the feeder and the other straight lead,,, most of the feeder contents waft down to the straight lead and to be honest most of my barbel on the tidal trent has come to the straight lead,,,

Arch

Site Supporter
When I first started Barbelling on the river Dove 6 years ago, I'd bladder bait in. Hemp, pellets, sweetcorn, boilies. I'm an ex-matchman, that's what we do.
Two years = 3 fish. I got talking to one of the regulars and he said "I only feed 5 boilies" Kerching!!

Started feeding less and I started to catch a few..................and I'm still only catching a few.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
7 sessions so far, 3 blanks (all of them on deeper pegs) and 15 fish so I only need to catch one this evening to maintain my 2:1 fish ratio. Here’s just hoping I can get on a decent peg at around 3pm.

I’m about to tie up a few hooks, size 12 Animal Eyed, to be honest, they’re cheap but I’m fairly happy with them. I have pulled hard on snags and they don’t bend out of shape, and I trust them to not get many hook pulls.

I would consider using two rods if fishing on my own but only have 2 so I have to save one for my dad,

Last edited:

Arch

Site Supporter
I think they've been discontinued. I bought a load a while back, so have a good supply.