How many Rods do you need?

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
How often have you been asked that ?

I've just added a new rod to my armoury and whilst sorting out the rest I heard those immortal words... "How many rods do you need?"

"Just these, the ones downstairs, a couple in my office, oh and a few in the loft"

15 as it so happens lol

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Oddly I’ve spent an hour going through my kit and it turns out:

2 match float rods
2 feeder rods
1 pellet waggler
2 spinning rods (lure & LRF work)

So 7 for me and for Jacob the list is shorter:

One 10’ DAM multi purpose rod

For poles it’s:

13.5m Preston pole with 4 top kits & cupping kit
Trabucco 8.5m Lucifer with 3 top kits

Daiwa 4.5m elasticated pole (Jacob)

Obviously would love more but I manage ok with what I have so that’s the important thing.

RegalisXFM

слава Україні🇺🇦
Site Supporter
8 carp rods ( 2 x 10ft, 2x12ft 2x 13ft distance casting, spod and a marker)

3 float rods. About 6 feeder rods (not my fault. I keep getting given them)
Plus my little shakespeare omni ❤

A dropshot rod and a spinning rod

Around 5-6 beach casters (mostly cheap and not used anymore)
Boat rods.....😬 Around 10-15..... I take novice family members sea fishing with multipliers. Birds nests are a thing. It's easier to whip another rod out and sort the mess at home. And I like em....

A 8m middy white knuckle for my nephew.

The joys of living alone...

TiggerXFM

Without going looking I reckon I will have about 50 or more 😡.
I do know a md'er who has many more than me and his collection would make my rod room look empty!

I have at least 13 hardy marksman rods 😬.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Approx 10 carbon poles & rods etc
About 24 cane... (I've lost count😳)
And 4 glass rods
Really need to have a clear out

😳😎

TiggerXFM

I have to brand new unused hardy marksman supero barbel rods, i've only ever seen one other for sale and I never see tyem come up for sale. It makes me wonder how many were actually made?
Has anyone else got any?

Cobweb

Once thought that Grayling was Tarzan's real name
Site Supporter
I wish you hadn't asked, I've got 15 feeder rods, 6 float rods, and a 10ft Avid Carp Curvex rod which I've just found an ideal venue for. Before I packed up work I had 5! 2 Float rods, 1 Carp, 1 Ledger (bomb) rod, and a 12ft Feeder rod. Don't get me started on feeders and hooks!

No two rods are the same and, I must admit, each rod has a particular purpose though some do overlap a little. They range in size from 7ft to 14
I think all of them are useful. Honestly, I don't know which one I'd part with unless I could find a rod that could do the job of two existing ones. Then I'd buy one and sell two

Last edited:

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I had a chat with a mate being a golfer, ok I had a few to many beers with a mate who’s a golfer. My argument was I need as many rods as he needs clubs to do different things. He countered but you can only take so many, I countered same with golf x amount of clubs can be carried during a game, I won’t take beach/boat/lure/carp/specimen rods if match fishing.
The conversation covered balls/floats, tees/hooks, trolley/trolleys,clothing, brollies, footwear, headwear, ticket prices etc etc.

We concluded we both have hobbies that can be enjoyed at a relatively low cost but as middle age sets in and disposable income increase’s we both have excess in many areas! 😱

Yes I have too many rods but gives me something to count! 🤭

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
@Dave Fousands :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have had the same question from the good lady, my answer to that is, I can get them out and explain what each one is used for. That answer puts paid to any further enquiries. :)

Mine is modest compared to some.

3 X Barbel rods 2 X 12 Lb 1 X 1.75 Lb
2 X 13 Ft Heavy/Distance Rods one rated to 100g C/W one 180g C/W
1 X 15 Ft Stickfloat rod
1 X 13 Ft Float rod
1 X 12 Ft Avon rod
1 X 10 Ft Feeder Rod
1 X 10 Ft Wand Feeder Rod
2 X 12 Ft 3 Lb Carp rods

Two very recent additions that have pride of place at the moment....

Daiwa Amorphous AWL 11/13 Heavy Feeder rod and the earlier version Whisker Kevlar WKL 11/13 Heavy Feeder rod. :love::love::love: Just need the SWL 11/13 to complete the set now. :D

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Recently decided to focus and feeder and waggler fishing i will have rods that fit venues i fish.
Mainly silver fishing. But will have a couple of rods that will do for commercial Carp.
6 feeder rods, various lengths.
3 waggler rods. 11,12 and 13.

I also have a spod rod for baiting up.

If i replace a rod, one will get sold. Never been one for keeping something that i dont use.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I can get away with relatively few but things get more complicated when I want to take my dad fishing with me. Nothing wrong with having a lot of rods for such a rewarding hobby though.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
I've only got 5 & never use any of them.

A 13' match rod
11' pellet waggler
A Sigma Wand
A 9' Garbolino Rocket feeder
A Daiwa Jaguar feeder.

davej1981

1 x match rod
2 x feeder rod
1 x 4m whip
1 x lightweight pole 12.5
1 x carp pole 14m
1 x back up margin pole

Looking for a pellet waggler rod to finish off and that should cover me for everything I do. May replace my pole when i have the ££ - an old mate of mine keeps trying to sell me his mint 16m pole with 12 topkits. If i do ill be donating my old poles to a junior

grey

Site Supporter
I need two, maybe three more than I own.

I don't know exactly how many I currently own, but I always seem to need two, maybe three more rods than I actually have.

Simon R

Site Supporter
We were getting some work done in the house earlier this year and I had to temporarily move my rods from the cupboard under the stairs out into my shed. When I pulled them all out again I took the opportunity to give the shed it's yearly clean-out. I nearly filled the wheely-bin with junk and rubbish 😲
So before the rods disappeared back into the darkness I took a few photos - and yes I probably have one or two too many - especially considering there's another dozen without reels attached that aren't on the photos.

IMG_9490 (2).JPG

IMG_9494.JPG

There's two 14.5m poles in the Drennan holdall plus three carp/pike rods and a couple of spinning rods in the drab green holdall at the end.

IMG_9493.JPG

Just over fifty rods / poles / whips in total - and unless I come across one of the old childhood rods / reels that
I've been seeking for a while it's unlikely I'll be buying anything else in the near future - space under the stairs is at a premium :p

IMG_9495 (2).JPG

Sadly the big keepnet is rarely required now -
I bought it second-hand from a former Barnsley Black prior to my first trip to Ireland in 1986.

Simon