How many on here .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Just wondering how many folks on here have actually been to war? As in shooting at total strangers who are also shooting at you? Or have actually been in some of the less pleasant parts of the world as part of a peacekeeping force (maybe harder than fighting a war).

I did (the war/shooting/shot at bit) for a while in the late '60s and still have vivid memories of parts of it.

And some of the stuff I read on the various forums makes it obvious that a few are posting very learned opinions based on things they've read but sounding as if they are posting first hand information.

Hard to tell with most posters though so I was just wondering who else has "been there, done that, survived it"?

Newt Vail

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Spent 10 years in the Army, only fight I actually ever got in was in the NAAFI queue.

Had several close friends die in Northern Ireland. But I think my time served gives me the right to say what I feel about certain issues.

Amazing thing is the Labour Party sending people to war when in the sixties their only thought was cutting down the Armed forces.

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member
Fishing Venues UK

martin.

Account Locked
hi
as ive posted on other threads i was turned down for army on medical grounds when i was 16.
i think that they should get rid of Soddam H. but i think they could do it without a full war there must be people that can get close enough to him to finish it once & for all

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

The Witness

Martin,
There are so many Saddam look alikes that it would be difficult for any small long range penetration group to know that they were taking the real one out whilst putting their lives on the line.
Newt,
I've luckily not been in a position where people have been taking pot shots at me and I will never know what my father went through in the jungles of Burma(he was in The Chindits).
The one thing that really does concern me is that I do n't want my son who is 21 (or any of his contempories) to have to risk all as you guys did back in the 60's or my father's generation did in WW2.
Let's hope a peaceful solution can still be found.
Cheers,
Richard.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Martin

During the gulf war the Saturday And Sunday boys had the real saddam in thier sites, along with the other eight look alikes.

All they needed was permission to pull the trigger, it was denied so the tyrant got to bomb his own people for standing against him after the gulf war had finished.

Newt
in answer to your question,
Nope never been lucky enough to & yes i do mean that.

At 16 i applied for the RAF, passed all the tests but wasn't accepted, tried the Navy, same again passed the tests but turned down so carrying out my promise to my grandfather i tried the army last (he didn't want me to go for the army untill it was a last option), same thing passed all the tests but got turned down.

The recruiting officer (warrant officer) informed me that he wasn't allowed to tell me why i'd been turned down BUT he was going to get a cup of tea & if i hppened to turn the report in front of me to page 7 it was nothing to do with him. [;)]

As soon as he left the room i did just that, why was i turned down....... because at 15 i beat the shi.. hell out of a fella who was slapping his missis around in the town center.

he went backwards through fosters window (mens clothing shop) & i got done for assault.

When the officer came back i told him i couldn't understand the thinking behind that decision.

If i'd got in the raf i'd have been able to bomb people from xx thousand feet, if i'd got in the navy i'd have been firing torpedos or big guns etc, if i'd got in the army i'd have been stood in the middle of a field with a gympy killing anything that was in front of me, but cos i HIT someone they refused me.

Sorry but when i punch someone they've got a much better chance of survival then they'd have if it was a bomb, torpedo, shell or bullet.

He agreed & told me if it was upto him he'd have me in like a flash because i've already proven i'm not afraid to hurt people, he trained guys who went to the falklands & he watched as they froze in fear when a gun went off!!!

Someone suggested i try the states armed forces cos they're more willing to take people with "records", he went over there & joined the navy seals cos the Brits reckond he was to "big" for either the SAS or the SBS.

OOPS sorry all, just realised how much i've gone on.

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

Last edited:

Apache

Good for you Trogg.

Tight Lines
Matt

http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.com
http://www.heathlandsanglingclub.8m.com/images/clevr_leather-m2.jpg

Trevski

quote:
he went backwards through fosters window (mens clothing shop) & i got done for assault.

I just wish I'd seen his face.

jonesr

Hi,Newt.Not involved in a war.But spent about 20 Months in Cyprus arguing with Mr.Makarios's merry men.This was back in the late 50's in the days of the 303 rifle and Sten-gun.I dont think Missiles were even thought of as general weapons.[:(]
Just thought,The serge battledresses and so called lightweight gear wouldn't have suited todays Carpers![8D][8D][8D][8D]

Ron.J

Age isn't everything!experience is!
I INTEND TO LIVE FOR EVER,SO FAR SO GOOD!

Last edited:

joe32

Hi chaps,new to the forum,I have served in the British Army for twelve years only been out for a couple of years.
I was involved in desert storm in 1990,since then i have served in Bosnia and Kosova under the banner of the UN.
I didnt enjoy desert storm at all,didn't see that much shooting out there.But far worse than that was some of the sites I saw in bosnia,some of the things that were done to the muslims by the serbs still turn my stomach even now.
I am just waiting to see if the British Government are going to call up the 7000 long term reserves they were talking about a few weeks ago,as it could mean a nice suntan for me.Sounds like a barrel of laughs.

Joe [:D] [:D]

Don't argue with an idiot they will only bring you down to there level and beat you on experience

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Thanks gents. And to clarify, I absolutely did not mean you had to be a combat vet to be entitiled to an opinion about this whole mess. It will affect us all regardless of the outcome and anyone should certainly have a right to air his/her views on any issue that will impact them. Sorry if I phrased my first post badly.

My main objection (and it hasn't been to posts on here) is folks telling me how it feels to be in combat when they've never been near. How it feels to have a mate shot to pieces near you. Even argue that I don't know what I'm on about and they do. That is just plain silly.

I'm also always interested to see if opinions on this sort of thing among combat vets matches opinion among non-combat-vets and non-vets in general. Usually it does.

Truth be told, I don't know the rights and wrongs of this whole issue. Have one son who is staged to get in the thick of things if a shooting war breaks out and hope he isn't hurt but certainly won't push for or against a war because of that. I'll pray he comes thru unharmed but he chose to be a soldier and wars are a possible part of the job.

My only real request is that we bash the leaders if we disagree with policy but don't bash the troops who carry out lawful orders for doing so. I have a sign in my front yard that reads, "Support Our Troops" and that is pretty much the extent of what I know to be right with this or any other conflict.

Newt Vail

The Witness

It was Winston Churchill who said that there is nothing more exhilarating than being shot at and not being hit.
I should imagine that there is a lot of truth in that.
Cheers,
Richard.

carpbob3

i served in the Naval reserves for 10yrs although i never saw a shot fired in anger..... However i do have my partners 2 sons in the Army and although i appreciate that they may have to go to war as ordered i dont believe for one moment that anyone in the forces or not really believes that a war can solve the problems of the world. Even against the evil of the Saddam and co tyrants of this world. There will always be another man to fill the vacant shoes ......... better the devil you know than the one you dont !!

if your not fishing your not living

MrC

Im still in the reserves. I spent 8 years in the Army I havent been to war, Even though i packed my bags for desert storm and did bosnia training 3 times , i still managed never to go. But im glad, as most of my mates ended up doing 6months away every year just on peace keeping duties. I should emagine the same will happen again after this war, (if it ever happens.) Im still war dodging. Mal

Lid

Original quote from Newt :
quote:My only real request is that we bash the leaders if we disagree with policy but don't bash the troops who carry out lawful orders for doing so. I have a sign in my front yard that reads, "Support Our Troops" and that is pretty much the extent of what I know to be right with this or any other conflict.

An extremely important point from Newt.

Even if we think that military action wrong, if our forces are ordered to fight we must fully support all members of all the allied forces involved. They are simply doing there job; a job where they have all voluntarily put their lives on the line so that the rest of us can live in relative safety.

Lid [:)]

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
The troops follow orders just like most workforces do, main problem is they can't strike like other workforces can.

Newt

No offence to you mate but i believe the american public should feel ashamed of the way they treated the troops who were sent into Vietnam, like our boys now they were only doing as orderd & yet even to this day they are treated with less respect etc than the average family dog.

Alan

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Trogg - no offense indeed. I was one of the folks who came home to find I was despised by a good few of my fellow Americans because I'd been over there.

It took this country well over 20 years post Viet Nam for the social scars to mostly heal. Even today after well over 30 years, we still have some vets from that thing wandering around totally unable to fit back in to society.

The hardest hit group was found to be those who left at age 18/19 to fight a war, returned home at age 19/20 to very unsupportive peers, and just came unglued. Never able to hold down a job, keep a family, or otherwise be normal. My wife had a brother who fit into that group. He finally drank himself to death several years ago. Literally drank himself to death.

Those who had been just slightly older were apparently able to deal with it better. I guess I was lucky to have been in my early 20s when I went. I didn't get confused. I just got angry. And after a short time out of the military, joined up again in '72 and stayed for a total of 27 years.

Newt Vail

carpbob3

Thats a very Valid point about the Men and Women in the Services that at the end of the day they are just following orders. Unfortunatly for them the people who start the order off are often so far away from the front line in their Safe House sitting on a their backside ......... if the outcome is good for them then they get to spend even more time screwing up the country..... (dont they maggy !!)if its not they dont and do you hear them say sorry to the families that have suffered lost ones DO THEY HELL.
Im a firm believer in protecting what is yours but to put Human lifes before the cost not just financial or ecomonic cost is wrong.
Why cant they ask for volanteers from the forces if they want to go to the front line and risk their lifes...... i bet there would not be the amount that is needed to fight a full on war/conflict or what ever you want to call it. OUR FORCES SHOULD BE SOLEY TO PROTECT US not fight every other countrys war for them.

if your not fishing your not living

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
here here Bob

Alan

brady

i dont know what most other people on here think but the idea of war scares the s**t out of me im 28 with a young family.so ive never really known war. well there was the gulf war but i cant honestly remember anything about it(young, free ,single ,partying)and i really hoped i never would know a war [:(!]

the devil created work to stop me fishing!

Status
Not open for further replies.