How many MDer's are/were motorcyclists?

MrBen

Site Supporter
Just finished watching the Dakar, what a display of riding and scenery. The niggle that is an Africa twin in the garage has gotten stronger.

banksitter

Stewpot.
Site Supporter
While I was doing a tad of maintenance on my bike yesterday, it idly crossed my mind as to how many of my fellow Maggotdrowners are or were motorcyclists?

If you are bikers what babies do you currently have?

Likewise if you were a biker in the past what was your favourite bike?

This is my Honda VFR800 (I am over 60 now so can legally own one;)) taken back in October in the Wye Valley, Erwood nr Builth Wells.
Rode bikes and collected bikes from 1965 to 1976. I had so many at one time I rented a barn to keep them in. Late sixties I picked up a Motorcycle Mechanics , on the front was a Picture of a single cylinder 500 Ariel , by the time I had read the article on how this bike was prepared to be a cafe-racer I had decided my Red hunter was going to be bigger and faster. A year and a half later it was recorded at 120mph on clay hill Oulton park. This was the one I should have kept for ever.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
Me, I've still got a Honda 1300 VTX Cruiser that I've had for years. Unfortunately though, I've got to sell it this year :-( Comes with free Sat Nav and driving advisor, (she sits on the back)! LÖL

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Me, I've still got a Honda 1300 VTX Cruiser that I've had for years. Unfortunately though, I've got to sell it this year :-( Comes with free Sat Nav and driving advisor, (she sits on the back)! LÖL
Why sell it...? keep it and enjoy it... once its gone you'll REALLY miss it

JohnWJ

Site Supporter
Dad had a BSA Golden Flash and sidecar.
I had Hondas....CG125, RS250R, Superdream 400, CBX550.
Then children and a succession of "family cars". Still read the mags and follow BSB, WSB and MotoGP.

Rob F

Site Supporter
Suzuki AP50, Yamaha RD250, Honda CB550 K3, Yamaha RD400, Suzuki GS750, Yamaha RD400.
10year gap
Kawasaki GPZ 305, belt drive, for commuting.
10year gap
Triumph trident 750 cos I could.
10 year gap, up to now

Of all of 'em I enjoyed the RDs the most!

Arry

Site Supporter
Honda 50 field bike
Ap50
DT175
RD200 Torque induction (???)
Yam YDS7
XS 250 yam
GSX 250
GS550 (×2)
GS650 Katana
GSXR 750 j
GSX1150 (×2)
Triumph T595
Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Triumph 1200 Bonneville bobber...

Rob F

Site Supporter
Diversion alert!

To divert this thread slightly, a couple of questions:

Of the bikes you owned, which would you want to own again? And from your individual hay day, whenever that may have been, which bike did you drool over and want to own?

Me? RD400 - without question, great bike, great fun and good times had on it. Object of lust from the same era Ducati 900ss, the half faired version in silver.

ravey

I really enjoyed my RD350LC. Would have loved a Suzuki RGV250, but an RD500 or RG500 would have been nice as well. I was/am a bit of a two stroke nut!

Arry

Site Supporter
I managed to get a ride on both the suzuki 250 and 500's... the 250 was pretty gutless below 5k and the 500 the same... BUT hit 5 k and the fun begins and if you played tunes on the gearbox, then many giggles and trouser filling moments were to be had.... the 500 in particular had a nasty habit of hitting those careless with the throttle in the face with the clocks... totally bonkers bike, especially since my buddy Nick had taken it to be tenderly ministered to by the god of stroker tuning, Stan Stephens

H T B

Site Supporter
I really enjoyed my RD350LC. Would have loved a Suzuki RGV250, but an RD500 or RG500 would have been nice as well. I was/am a bit of a two stroke nut!
I remember when the LC's came out. absolute lunatic bikes at the time

Arry

Site Supporter
Only rode one LC, My mate Danny's 350... cracking bike but weak forks

H T B

Site Supporter
Has anyone ever had a spark plug blow out on them?

Riding my GT750 along the relatively new M42 towards God's country, when I lost power, and heard a loud banging noise coming from the engine block.

Pulled over and there was a spark plug hanging from it's HT lead.

Thought someone had tried to prank (!) me by loosening it off when bike was parked at Navy camp, but when I went to put the plug back it, it just came straight out again.

Lucky it didn't come through the tank, I suppose.

I will say that the RAC were very good.

[Kawasaki dealer repaired it with a helicoil, so wasn't as expensive to repair as I thought it would be]

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Diversion alert!

To divert this thread slightly, a couple of questions:

Of the bikes you owned, which would you want to own again? And from your individual hay day, whenever that may have been, which bike did you drool over and want to own?

Me? RD400 - without question, great bike, great fun and good times had on it. Object of lust from the same era Ducati 900ss, the half faired version in silver.
I've been lucky enough to own a fair few bikes, 49 I believe from my mighty Honda PC50 moped onwards. All of them have/are great and I've enjoyed them all. It is easier to say which I didn't miss when I sold them. Three spring to mind. A Honda CB750F1, yellow with a 4 into 1. Great looking bike but was uninspiring and soggy. Sold within a few months. (I had a Honda CBX750F, which I believe was the last aircooled 750. It went well and actually had a kick in the powerband. Next a CB900F. Fast and very comfortable but with a linear power curve rather dull. Finally a Kawasaki GT750. Great bike, looked bland but went well. Only downside was I found the footrests too far forward.

I guess my landmark bikes, which I'd love to be able to ride again, would be the following. Not necessarily the fastest or most powerful but were memorable and fun.

Triumph TR6SS.
Yamaha YR5
Yamaha XS750E
Moto Guzzi Le Mans Mk11
Kawasaki GPz900R
Yamaha FZR1000 Exup
Ducati 900SS