How many MDer's are/were motorcyclists?

tysontim

Site Supporter
A school mate used to ride his new yellow CZ175 to school. He was the envy of the entire 6th form. Anyone remember them?
Yeah I had one brand new with the Front Fairing on it, kick start was also you gear change.

All smoke no poke 2 stroke.

Then had a Yamaha RD 250 (Awesome for the time )
Suzuki 350 Ram Air
Finished with Yamaha 750 kettle which at the time would pass anything but a Petrol Station
Always wanted a Z 900 but marriage put pay to that.
Those where the days 🥲🥲

Spiro

Site Supporter
my only regrets are listening to past girlfriends Dads tellimg me how dangerous motorcycles are and I should buy a car instead,I was young then and invincible,and didn’t listen to them oldies,So I’ve owned Nsu ,every BSA bantam going,tiger cub,BSA 700 constellation,Yams rds,motoguzzi ,my present is zzr1100,,And because I ignored those dads at the time,I’ve had lots of girlfriends which ain’t a bad thing,but now Im a Dad to couple of now grown up daughters,I’m not sure if I’d like them on back of bikes,but I wouldn’t ask them not too,How would you be with your youngsters and bikes

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
my only regrets are listening to past girlfriends Dads tellimg me how dangerous motorcycles are and I should buy a car instead,I was young then and invincible,and didn’t listen to them oldies,So I’ve owned Nsu ,every BSA bantam going,tiger cub,BSA 700 constellation,Yams rds,motoguzzi ,my present is zzr1100,,And because I ignored those dads at the time,I’ve had lots of girlfriends which ain’t a bad thing,but now Im a Dad to couple of now grown up daughters,I’m not sure if I’d like them on back of bikes,but I wouldn’t ask them not too,How would you be with your youngsters and bikes
Simples... don't have kids... s'why I still have me bike, go fishing, play drums, go to the pub and retired early... Smug mode engaged...😛👍🤭

adriang

Site Supporter
I had a Z1000 back in the day, good bike, but is it good to go back, not sure. The Z900 either Z1A or Z1B would be tempting, but decent bikes are approaching £20K now. Seen one that needs a bit of work, I just haven’t got time to spend on it.
Z900 would get my vote, just a classic, iconic bike.

I've been to the 'corporate museum' at Kawazaki Heavy Industries, they have a z900 on display to represent their motorcycle history, I always thought that choice was quite telling... Zed-thou, didn't the frames flex?

Nicky Dodds

I was always under the impression that the Z1R was under-braced around the headstock and it needed cross bracing above the swinging arm pivot.

Arry

Site Supporter
Z900 would get my vote, just a classic, iconic bike.

I've been to the 'corporate museum' at Kawazaki Heavy Industries, they have a z900 on display to represent their motorcycle history, I always thought that choice was quite telling... Zed-thou, didn't the frames flex?
Weak headstock and naff swing arm pivot... not the best handling bikes...
@NickyDodds, beat me to it

stikflote

Site Supporter
So it should be faster than my street triple 765cc R Low
im looking at the Thruxton

wondering if it has a low version

Arry

Site Supporter
No... my Bobber is a Hi Torque motor putting out 77 bhp and 78 ft lbs of Torque... the Thrux is a hi power motor & puts out 99-104bhp and slightly less torque... the 765 triple puts out 130 bhp-ish and far less torque...

Arry

Site Supporter
Mate Nick had a CBX... lovely bike... had a Piper 6-1 zorst... made year ears bleed so it did... lovely sound though

nejohn

Site Supporter
Mate Nick had a CBX... lovely bike... had a Piper 6-1 zorst... made year ears bleed so it did... lovely sound though
Loved those old pipers, I had one on a Yoshimura 460 400/4 sounded much better than the yoshimura system, not only was it very loud it almost had a 2 stroke type wail. When heading north I would go the long way round just so I could go through the Tyne Tunnel..

Arry

Site Supporter
My Thunderbird had a pair of sport cans on it... the noise through the Holmedale tunnel at 7000RPM in 3rd was pure Rolling Thunder... my Bonneville Bobber has a pair of Vance and Hines cans... they have a nice cracking bark to them, as befits a 1.2 litre bike...😈

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
Have a full bike licence, but not ridden one for best part of 20 years. I did ride my old 400cc Superdream down to Italy though...

BarryS

Gone fishing
Always had bikes..........Started with a step-through Honda 50 I used to get me to college.....then a triumph 350 T21....I also had Nortons ...BMWs and even a 1340 Harley Softail.... I managed to get myself a Vincent while I was still at Art School... wish I had kept it .... My favourites ..Were the Vincent even though it stopped every time it rained...a 250 MZ 2 stroke.....A 450 KTM I used for trail riding......and I should not forget my lovely NSU Quickly.

There was a bike show in Bexhill a couple of years ago.and there were hundreds of bikes there with the main road shut...everything was there....some lovely stuff. Walking back to my car along the promenade I came across this Yamaha...........quite a distance out of town sitting there by itself.
For me, it was the best bike I had seen all day. I should have left a note for its owner..........Such a classy bike. Wonderful detail .....A real work of art.

Attachments

• BEST BIKE THERE.jpg
    BEST BIKE THERE.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 16

Arry

Site Supporter
That Yam's a much modified V-Max... bonkers bike in its day... crazy handler though, weak forks and pants chassis... the upside down forks would help a bit though...👍

peterb

Site Supporter
That Yam's a much modified V-Max... bonkers bike in its day... crazy handler though, weak forks and pants chassis... the upside down forks would help a bit though...👍
Ok in a straight line , designed for the US market probably