How many MDer's are/were motorcyclists?

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I’ll let you know some prices and options. The bobbers are known for being a bit stiff and unforgiving
Cheers... looked at the Fox (adjustable) but at £360 is a bit pricey... the Hagon gets a good rep, but not heard of many riders changing to them

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Cheers... looked at the Fox (adjustable) but at £360 is a bit pricey... the Hagon gets a good rep, but not heard of many riders changing to them
Just bought a YSS rear shock for the VFR having heard good reports. Be fitting it over the next week so be interesting to see how it works.

Bacon

While I was doing a tad of maintenance on my bike yesterday, it idly crossed my mind as to how many of my fellow Maggotdrowners are or were motorcyclists?

If you are bikers what babies do you currently have?

Likewise if you were a biker in the past what was your favourite bike?

This is my Honda VFR800 (I am over 60 now so can legally own one;)) taken back in October in the Wye Valley, Erwood nr Builth Wells.
I've got a vfr800fi also.....just turned 37..... :p

I sold my Deauville when lockdown begun (I know.....but it was beautifully comfy!) that I was using to commute and my MT09 late last summer.
I was without a bike for ten days (genuine horror at having an empty garage) and bought the vfr as a "do it all" stop gap bike.
But to be fair to it. It's been superb. Had it 18 months or so now. Fairly low miles (36k) and in very good nick for its age.
Sounds brilliant, handles well and a good all round bike it seems.

Arry

Site Supporter
Is that the one thats an "engine out" to do a major service...? I did hear one of the Honda V4's were a bit of an arse come service time

minkyandbear

Site Supporter
Is that the one thats an "engine out" to do a major service...? I did hear one of the Honda V4's were a bit of an arse come service time
No they are not too much of a pain. Valve adjustment needs a few bits and pieces removing first but no issues. Much easier to work on than the rear bank of cylinders than my 900 Ducatis.

Bacon

You might be referring to the VTEC models, the one that succeeded the Fi.

Bacon

Just bought a YSS rear shock for the VFR having heard good reports. Be fitting it over the next week so be interesting to see how it works.
Be interested to know how you get on. Like yours my rear shock is 20+ years old. I'm happy to service forks, but don't have the ability to recharge the nitrogen bladder of a rear shock. I have JHS Racing nearby in Keynsham though who would likely do it. But for a couple hundred more I could get a new shock.

stikflote

Site Supporter
@Arry , HI a lot of those LCs had stolen engines in them
at one time they were the most stolen bike,

its changed now a scooter the GTS300 Vespa which what they use round london

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Halons are about the most budget end shocks you can get. Not the greatest and if it gets to more than 5 years old they won’t bother to repair it, they just try and sell you another new one. Get a proper shock Arry, it will be worth it, and if and when you sell the bike, you can remove and fit the old one back on. Providing its in good nick, and either fit the shock to a new bobber unless you change models, or sell it on.

davebike1

Site Supporter
I have been riding since 1973 Started with a pedal to start Moped full licence 1974 started in bike trade 1976 own bike repair business since 1983
IAM bike1994 observer 1998/2013
Current toys Honda MSX125 AKA grom and NC750xDCT both 2018
2018-09-19 12.07.17 (Small).jpg 2020-08-04 09.03.29 (Small).jpg

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Oh well, that’s the Bonneville sold today, best go bike shopping soon……

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wotcher getting...?????😉

Not sure, probably another Harley, but I maybe tempted by another classic, seen a cheap 1978 Z1000 that’s arriving in the country soon and a reasonably cheap 900Z1B, but it needs the 4 into 4 exhaust and a paint job.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I agree with arry get Kawasaki, I had a Z1R back in the day and loved it. My mate had a Z1B in green with a 4 into 1 Yoshimura pipe it looked and sounded fantastic

Arry

Site Supporter
Borrowed me mate Danny's Z1000 ST and loved it... cracking bike... my own Musclebike was a Suzuki GSX1150eg... bonkers motor, awful chassis

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I had a Z1000 back in the day, good bike, but is it good to go back, not sure. The Z900 either Z1A or Z1B would be tempting, but decent bikes are approaching £20K now. Seen one that needs a bit of work, I just haven’t got time to spend on it.

stikflote

Site Supporter
My friend has just bought a Kawasaki H2 the one with the supercharger

he will be using it for straight line racing.
dont ask cos i aint got a clue a bout