How many MDer's are/were motorcyclists?

Bulldog

Site Supporter
My Dad had one of those
Used to have a Honda PC50 can I play? 56527-0.jpg
got done for riding it without a license thing was he was only 10 mins walk from work Standard Triumph Canley
Me never owned or wanted a motor bike (my son has had 2 Triumphs both nicked ) ...........but stick a Speedway GP on or a local Speedway meeting i love it

TrickyD

Site Supporter
I had the ubiquitous Fizzer ( Yamaha FS1E) as a 16 year old, then at 17 got a RD250B, then Suzuki GT380, RD400E, Suzuki TS250, Yamaha DT400, Yam XJ650, Suzuki GS750, RD 350LC, Yam FZR exup, Honda CBr600, Honda VTR 1000, then for one last hurrah I got hold of an original VMAX. Probably missed out a few, I remember a Kawasaki KH250 and a few other off roaders. The VMAX was absolutely bonkers.

DavC1h

Site Supporter
Started at 16 on a Yamaha Fizzer, then on to numerous 250s, Yamaha RD, Suzuki X7, Yamaha LC. Then went on to crossers for a while Cagiva 250, Honda CR 250, CR 125, Yamaha YZ 125, YZ250.
Then went back to road bikes with a Kawasaki ZZR600, Kawasaki ZX6R in various models, Yamaha R1 in a couple of different models and now got a Yamaha MT09. Some great bikes there and i wish i had kept them all but the MT09 is an amazing bike. Steady commuter or all out hooligan bike, your, or my, choice.
Absolutely love my bikes but, unfortunately, i have lost some very good friends along the way.

davylad

Site Supporter
I used to have a go on my brothers 350 Panther when I got chance, if the rest of the family were out. I usually went round a few blocks and took it back, before it got too hot, as he used to feel it as he knew but never caught me. I was 13 or 14, but when I was 15 my brother and father went away for a couple of days, to a horse race meeting. I went further afield with my mate on the back, needless to say I got caught. I was fined the massive sum of £4, and that included court costs, but what was worse I got a couple of slaps from my brother, for getting caught. :eek: I did have an AJS after that of my own, but got rid after a few near misses and decided 2 wheels wasn't for me, as it was too easy to wind them up.

squimp

Site Supporter
2 wheels till I was 21 - a variety of Yamaha 2 strokes.

Then a Honda 600 aged 40 odd…..

Today I gave one of my brothers my 1977 leather jacket. That’s the end of my biking days.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I'll be riding till I can't walk any more... its in me blood... even if its just pottering about...

mike_pk_waters

Site Supporter
Triumph Trident T150V, Used it to remove a spleen,kidney and kneecap, Think I will stick to 4 wheels now as I cant be trusted.
Mrs Has a Harley Sportster XL883 that I am not allowed near

Arry

Site Supporter
Triumph Trident T150V, Used it to remove a spleen,kidney and kneecap, Think I will stick to 4 wheels now as I cant be trusted.
Mrs Has a Harley Sportster XL883 that I am not allowed near
When I was a Race Marshall there was a Harley Sportster race series... us Marshalls used to argue about who would pick up the fallen bikes... they were heavy old beasts... and a b*tch to pick up and wheel away with f****d gear lever and stuck in gear... yup... bloody heavy

mike_pk_waters

Site Supporter
When I was a Race Marshall there was a Harley Sportster race series... us Marshalls used to argue about who would pick up the fallen bikes... they were heavy old beasts... and a b*tch to pick up and wheel away with f****d gear lever and stuck in gear... yup... bloody heavy
It is handy the the wife is a solid lady, but dont tell her i said that

Chris Calder

Site Supporter
Had quite a few bikes over the years from age 16, My last and favorite was a Bonneville 750, the urge is still there but at 62 and slower reflexes I think it better to stick to cars.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I had a real beast in the 60's.

Lambretta SX200.
With folding carriers fore and aft, multiple mirrors and non-working foglights and a genuine fur-covered backrest.

Purists will say that it's not a proper bike, but you try getting two fishermen, two Shakey seatboxes, two keepnets, two sets of waders and two rod holdalls on your average thugbus - type machine. :whistle:
I had the same early 70's , ended up owning 3 .
Wish I still had them now.
Mine had Florida side bars as well as front and rear rear rack. Mirrors set in a peacock tail shape. Courtesy of scrap yards and ford Anglia's that were parked in streets ,

peterb

Site Supporter
I had a couple of Lambrettas in the early / mid 60's, a mod thing , passed my test but didn't ride again until 1998 when I bought a new Yamaha Diversion for my 50th birthday , then I had a Yam Thundercat and after that a Thunderace. I sold that when we moved to Spain . We came back a few years later and I bought a Honda CBR600 , that's the one in the picture at Dolygaer / Ponsticill reservoir where @Godber goes fishing . FB_IMG_1471554373056.jpg

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
First bike was a Suzuki T250 Hustler, that got nicked, I borrowed a mates 250 and took my test. Then bought a 750 Bonneville, then a Z1000, before moving onto a Hardtail Harley Chop (1200 Shovelhead, with gold plated nuts and bolts). That also got nicked, I then had a XS1100 Yamaha which I rode whilst I fought the insurance company to court over the Harley’s value. Had an accident in France on the 1100 which put me in hospital for 4 months and off work for over a year, still suffering now! Rebuilt the 1100 and lowered it, rode when I could manage to ride again and then sold it.
Bought a Harley Sportster (half hog) that was a mistake, didn’t like it, bought another Bonneville, that was OK, sold the Sportster and the Bonny and bought a Harley FXR-SP 1340. Kept that for over 20 years, loved it, I wasn’t doing the mileage it deserved and sold it, wish I hadn’t now. Bought another T140V Bonneville, but have just sold that (it’s going Thursday). I have got a knackered knee and struggle kicking it over, so in the new year will be looking for another bike, most likely another Harley.
ADB2AD4F-B35F-47FB-95B7-E6EEDA2C036C.jpeg

Arry

Site Supporter
First bike was a Suzuki T250 Hustler, that got nicked, I borrowed a mates 250 and took my test. Then bought a 750 Bonneville, then a Z1000, before moving onto a Hardtail Harley Chop (1200 Shovelhead, with gold plated nuts and bolts). That also got nicked, I then had a XS1100 Yamaha which I rode whilst I fought the insurance company to court over the Harley’s value. Had an accident in France on the 1100 which put me in hospital for 4 months and off work for over a year, still suffering now! Rebuilt the 1100 and lowered it, rode when I could manage to ride again and then sold it.
Bought a Harley Sportster (half hog) that was a mistake, didn’t like it, bought another Bonneville, that was OK, sold the Sportster and the Bonny and bought a Harley FXR-SP 1340. Kept that for over 20 years, loved it, I wasn’t doing the mileage it deserved and sold it, wish I hadn’t now. Bought another T140V Bonneville, but have just sold that (it’s going Thursday). I have got a knackered knee and struggle kicking it over, so in the new year will be looking for another bike, most likely another Harley.
ADB2AD4F-B35F-47FB-95B7-E6EEDA2C036C.jpeg
Get one with an electric foot... my knees and back are beggared... my Bonneville is dead comfy... the pegs are set so knees are not at an acute angle... just 90° ish... look at the peg seat ratio on my Bobber... and the seat is adjustable fore and aft and up/down... only 80 bhp or so but a LOT of torque

62tucker

Site Supporter
Got a backa off a lad when at school and he done a wheelie and I nearly crapped my pants. Not been on a bike since.
But when a child my dad had bike and side car and had few trips in that I been told.
Side note. Bike test and training place around here. See them most days so still plenty learning 👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
That sounds similar to my brother. He bought a small bike when he was around 20, went for a ride round the block on it, came back clutching his arm with his jacket all torn. He'd gone round the corner at the end of the road and came off his bike. He sold it soon after and it kind of put me off ever getting one.