How many casters can a Robin eat !

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
Was on a canal match today..and a robin caught my eye. It came as close as sitting on the end of my rodbag, so flicked it a few casters.

It soon gobbled ..3 or 4 and flew off before coming back for more. I couldnt watch it too long as I was supposed to be fishing ! But my first thought was, how many of those are you going to eat ? ! After all they arent that big but seem to woooof 'em !

FERT

sounds good how did the match fish. Because i fished the canal today and only caught 4 fish

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
Well I only had seven fish ! But I found it interesting even if that sounds slightly crazy. Only my second match this year and I had to work for those fish.

3 of them were small perch, caught when I tried chopped maggot. Hadnt had a bite on the inside untill I put a bit of that in and bingo. Not many, but its a new bait for me that worked. Would have worked more if there had been more fish there. Got the idea off here, Barrybloke recommends it. So that was my tactic to get something out of a struggler. It worked and i've learnt something. Other fish were two Roach and two Rudd. Someone got into 4 Bream and won it with 10lb odd. Dead arm of the Worcester canal at Alvechurch.

vwt4

A robin visits me every sunday,I know its the same one because he has a damaged feather, and it sticks out,its been like it for weeks, yesterday he ate 9 8mm halibut pellets, he can't swallow them whole so he grabs one then flies about 4 yards away and batters it into bits on a flat stone, he keeps comming back during the day,I used to throw him maggots, but one day he sicked them all up,and as they were red maggots I wondered if it was the dye, so I stopped feeding thim them.
You would also think they would be to fat to fly with this good grub,as he's obviously trained other anglers to feed him, yet he's normal robin size.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
He may well have had an avaricious Missus and a nestfull of little uns to feed.

Some of us know how he feels. [:(][;)]

i love it when you gets ducks coming over i always feed them maggots if i am not catching something to entertain me

mouse77

A robin can eat 63 casters, i know because i've just tried it.

A cat can eat 63 casters and a robin thats too fat to fly!

Originally posted by Tigerbay

Was on a canal match today..and a robin caught my eye. It came as close as sitting on the end of my rodbag, so flicked it a few casters.

It soon gobbled ..3 or 4 and flew off before coming back for more. I couldnt watch it too long as I was supposed to be fishing ! But my first thought was, how many of those are you going to eat ? ! After all they arent that big but seem to woooof 'em !

ive had them sat on the edge of ma sidetray before now if you get there confidence they come really close

paul14

how do you know its the same one tb there could be twenty sat in a tree working as a team just to mug us anglers.

glenn

Account Locked
Hope i dont get an osprey sitting near me then if you have to feed the birds

back to basics

superflysey posted this last night,[:0]
I take my que from birds if birds are flying and feeding I assume the fish will do the same, next time you have a poor day and your net is almost empty I bet you'll see very few birds flying around; these are a good indicater but not a guarantee.

However i took this advive[:0] due to diversional tactics to avoid studying[:I] and had the best days fishing on a local pit, bagged up on skimmer 8oz roach[:D] however you have just turned this philosophy on its head due to feeding a friggin robin lmao[:0] on the other hand the philosophy may be true if you kept your eye on the floatlmao[:0]

JOHN_M

Fished at Lakeview near Melton Mowbray yesterday, in a six hour match Chaffinches were nicking my casters and sweetcorn all day !

T K

Bum Draw Master
Originally posted by back to basics

superflysey posted this last night,[:0]
I take my que from birds if birds are flying and feeding I assume the fish will do the same, next time you have a poor day and your net is almost empty I bet you'll see very few birds flying around; these are a good indicater but not a guarantee.
However i took this advive[:0] due to diversional tactics to avoid studying[:I] and had the best days fishing on a local pit, bagged up on skimmer 8oz roach[:D] however you have just turned this philosophy on its head due to feeding a friggin robin lmao[:0] on the other hand the philosophy may be true if you kept your eye on the floatlmao[:0]

I never saw a dickie all day today..........[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.