How many balls?!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just watching this video practising at Barston for how they do it in some international matches. 46 balls of groundbait.

The most I think I have put in is 12 and to me that feels like balling it. Also seems like groundbait catapults are not widely used now? I still don't mind using a groundbait catapult when Bream fishing, you get a bit of a natural spread of bait but that's not always a bad thing I find?

How about you? What's the most you've had to put in?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I love that, as someone who loves groundbait. I think we might have put more in when we went to Ireland, prebaited the Canal and fished it at night for 100lb+ of Bream on the pole.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Fishing in Holland taught me a lot. Very often we don’t put enough in over here. Fishing against the likes of Bob Nudd helps. He can never be accused of not having a go😉. Always a positive angler.
I could get through a 40ltr Sensas bucket of groundbait, the double handled one, in a days pole fishing on the ijssel in Holland.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Blimey that is a lot. Probably average out at one an hour tops for me. Makes me think probably not enough!

squimp

Site Supporter
In the days when I used to fish for really big bream we used to regularly put 30 - 40 balls out every evening.

If the fish turned up during the night you would often catch one or two and then they would move off. The likely scenario being that they had eaten the lot. I took to refeeding in the dark and that sometimes brought them back...

Bear in mind I’m talking about small shoals of double figure fish, not hoards of ravenous 5lb ers....

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
In the days when I used to fish for really big bream we used to regularly put 30 - 40 balls out every evening.

If the fish turned up during the night you would often catch one or two and then they would move off. The likely scenario being that they had eaten the lot. I took to refeeding in the dark and that sometimes brought them back...

Bear in mind I’m talking about small shoals of double figure fish, not hoards of ravenous 5lb ers....

hoards of ravenous 5lbers would do me !

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’d like to find a horde of 5 pounders! Most I’ve ever caught in a day definitely over 5lb is 3 and probably less than 10 over that mark ever. Only really started trying to catch them in the last 2 years though.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Just watching this video practising at Barston for how they do it in some international matches. 46 balls of groundbait.

The most I think I have put in is 12 and to me that feels like balling it. Also seems like groundbait catapults are not widely used now? I still don't mind using a groundbait catapult when Bream fishing, you get a bit of a natural spread of bait but that's not always a bad thing I find?

How about you? What's the most you've had to put in?
That is eye opening , about 2kg for me and im worried if ive over fed. Im generally fishing for carp though in matches and most of the places i fish havent loads of bream and skimmers . I will have to try upping my feed .

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've had a lot of Bream going 5lb and I love hitting a big shoal of them, did so this year on 3 consecutive days by only having 8 or so casts with a feeder to start with. Gave me a bit of confidence that depending on venue you don't always need to ball it in to catch a lot of Bream.

But my biggest Bream is a modest 6lb fish, this fish was very fat, from the local little river caught on Worm on the straight lead while I was waiting for my dad to get some maggots for me. It's actually the biggest fish I've caught from that river with Chub only going to 5lb and Barbel to 5lb 13oz.

Bream.JPG

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I’d like to find a horde of 5 pounders! Most I’ve ever caught in a day definitely over 5lb is 3 and probably less than 10 over that mark ever. Only really started trying to catch them in the last 2 years though.

best days fishing I ever had on the Military canal was when I found a horde shoaled up prior to spawning

netted over a 100lb (3 keepnets) of mature fish that day, even had an audience of joe public sat behind me watching

felt like Bob Nudd I did, proper superstar !

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
So lets hear it for the much maligned bream.
I love them. Only behind Roach, Perch, and Dace in my list of favourite coarse fish. Have developed quite affinity for the silver variety as well recently having found out they like to pop up amongst hemp caught roach bags.

robert d

Site Supporter
best days fishing I ever had on the Military canal was when I found a horde shoaled up prior to spawning

netted over a 100lb (3 keepnets) of mature fish that day, even had an audience of joe public sat behind me watching

felt like Bob Nudd I did, proper superstar !
Top fishing 🎣 ,very good angling

tincatim

Site Supporter
That’s way more ground bait than I’ve ever used. I normally get through 1-2kg at most but then I’m not usually targeting shoals of bream. One thing I am wondering is why did the guy in the video pot those last balls in? He was perfectly fine throwing the first 20, mentioned a ten minute time limit then decided to start potting the rest in. Just showing off that he could do it all in ten? Or am I missing something?

robert d

Site Supporter
I love them. Only behind Roach, Perch, and Dace in my list of favourite coarse fish. Have developed quite affinity for the silver variety as well recently have found out they like to pop up amongst hemp caught roach bags.
I only like the slimy things in a match lol 😆, i smell like i work at the fishmongers for days if ive caught a few . I would love a few dedicated bream days at a good venue with big bream in , Earlswood used to be good years ago ,i did enjoy that ,i fished caster and maggot at about 6m up off the deck and had quite a few to about 4lb ish

robert d

Site Supporter
That’s way more ground bait than I’ve ever used. I normally get through 1-2kg at most but then I’m not usually targeting shoals of bream. One thing I am wondering is why did the guy in the video pot those last balls in? He was perfectly fine throwing the first 20, mentioned a ten minute time limit then decided to start potting the rest in. Just showing off that he could do it all in ten? Or am I missing something?
Accuracy ,a pile together ,the spread out ones to draw the fish and give them confidence then fish over or by the accurate pile is my guess