how many baits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray

hiya all, as a bit of a spin off from daves topic, how many different baits do you use over a year?

have you ever counted?

i use about 11, (in no particular order) bread, corn, meat, casters, worm, maggots, pellets, paste, mussels, prawns. (a few more will be added when i start piking)

i find that the above list covers me for everything no matter what time of year.

what about you, do you use more , less, different?

a fool and his litter are soon parted.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Meat,corn,beans,potato,cheese,bread,maggots,pellets,pepperami,marmite,casters, prawns,mussles,crab stick,fish (live & dead),pasta shapes & of course the original one & only worm.

I think that just about covers everything!!

17 in total

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

Last edited by a moderator:

Polepot

Poles
Alan,

How do you use marmite as a bait? I have enough problems keeping paste on the hook.

My list

Lucheon Meat, Corn, Cat Meat, Mixer, Rice Crispies, Prawns, Paste, Pellets (all types) maggotts, Casters, Hemp, tadpoles, cheese, bread, and finally worms. That makes 15

Poles

Great info, great guys, great fun, thats Maggot Drowners

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
As well as most of the previous suggestions, dead maggots, boilies,campbells meatballs and steak. Artificial dog biscuits, tiger nuts and corn. Theres proper dog biscuits to. Then of course spinners, spoons, jerkbaits, crankbaits, shads, jelly worms and spinnerbaits.

chill out go fishing

ray

forgot about that, yeh i use em.

a fool and his litter are soon parted.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

MALC

Never really thought about the different type's of bait before Ray but i've just sat down and listed them and got quite a shock with just how many i carry at the same time.

I've broken it down in to different types of venue as i now realise i go a bit over the top!!!!

Here goes.

Carp Stillwaters in Summer (match & pleasure)
Hookers

Boilies (between 2 & 4 flavours/colours & size)
Soft pellets at least 10 types (flavours/colour & size)
Hard pellets for banding or hair rigging (Box full)
Paste (between 6 & 10 types and flavours)
CatMeat (at least 1 each of 3 different flavours)
Tinned Meat (3 brands at least 2 of each type)
Soft Meats (at least 4 types/flavours)
Corn
Worms
Maggot
Prawns
Cockles
Mussels
Dog Biscuit
Sugar Puffs
Marsh Mellows
Bread
Punched & flavoured/coloured potato

Feed Baits to go with above
Most of the above also as feed as well as the following.
Sinking Pellets (between 4 & 6 types and sizes)
At least 4 kilos of groundbait
large ice cream tub of flavours and boilie dips

And thats just for the Carp waters (told you i tend to go over the top)

Whats even worse is that about 90% will not come out of the bait bag it's just that i like to be prepaired just in case.

It's no wonder i can't lift my bait bag now that i've just gone through it to check.

I'm not even going to bother with canals and rivers

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

ben grim

i was going to say just bits of wood,plastic,metal and rubbery jelly type things,some strange,some not so strange.
as i said "was going to say"due to the fact that i was cleaning 6 mackrel last night.didn't want to throw the waste away,made some"burley"out of it.better include,barley,oatsand mackeral gubbins pre baiting for pike. worth a try.

I,M NOT DAFT,JUST HAPPY.
DEATH IN VEGAS

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Sorry i didn't realise you meant each type of bait had to be listed, i just put my baits into "groups"

I included ALL meat baits when i said meat, if i was to break it down then you would have sausage, steak, kidney, liver, bacon, haggis & so on.

Same with maggots i counted live & dead together, & again with pellets.

I could have said lob worms, blood worms etc.

Slugs yeah i forgot about them use them as well (make a boilie trap for them they love it).

Poles

There's two ways of fishing the gooey black rubbish mate
Either
1) use bread & push it into the stuff on the hook.

2) push a hook into the marmite making sure it gets a good coating, unfortunetly this way means re-coating the hook a lot but it does get the fish mate.

Alan

I'll have a fiver on the black un

MALC

quote:2) push a hook into the marmite making sure it gets a good coating, unfortunetly this way means re-coating the hook a lot but it does get the fish mate.

Trogg if you do this on the Pole [;)] it works at Izaak Waltons had 2 of my carp on it Saturday.

Seriously though when doing this if you leave a longer tail when trimming your hook knot and then Superglue the tail at the knot it holds Marmite a lot better than a bare hook (now there goes another secret)[;)]

MALC
IT'S CATCHING

granjuiceymoose

'Grinch'
A usual session for me i take corn (plain and flavoured), meat )plain and flavoured), bread(liquidised, mashed and slices), Worms(lobs, dendras and redworms), Maggots(red, whites and mixed), pinkies, Hemp, tares, cheese's, casters, meaty fish bites, boilies, wasp grubs (if allowed), slugs and paste's. That's just for a river session. When i go piking i hav a few more baits used over the year [;)][:D]

cosmicgunge

Last edited:

Steve

Apart from the ones mentioned:

Paste - Blue cheese, fresh bread crumb and maize flour
- Liver pate, fresh bread crumb and flour
- Custard powder and flour

Gummy Bears
Jelly Beans

Fishermen have more fun than people do!

Steve

Status