How many baits do you take with you?

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thats my big mistake ,to many baits ,i do better on just pellets and corn 🌽. Your right i keep swapping and changing ,back to basics for me

It can get in your head, why are the others catching when I’m not, what bait are they using, it must be different than mine, I need to change my bait, still nothing, change bait again, still nothing and there is a good chance you have missed that your feeding or presentation is wrong, or the depth of water the fish want to be in isn’t where you are fishing.

When commercial fish are hungry they will eat pellets, late spring to late autumn you could take just pellets and catch well. Yes, there are days when maggots down the edge work, or meat short, but you would still catch either some, the same number or maybe more on pellet.

Some venues you have to adapt, not sure now, but a few years back the ‘veg line’ (corn, meat is banned) was a banker at the Glebe, so you needed it, but whilst I haven’t been there for a couple of years, I understand corn isn’t the banker it was. Use info to help you decide when visiting venues you don’t fish often.

Give it a whirl, go out and only take two baits! I guarantee that if you do that, you will get more confident in those two baits, learn more about them and it will make you think more about your rigs, presentation, feeding and where in the peg you fish, rather than worrying about what you have on the hook.

Last edited:

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I only fish stillwaters but I just use maggot in winter and maggot or band-ums (sinking and wafters in mixed colours) in summer.

I always have meat and corn in the van but rarely use them.

Various different groundbaits, Sensas Lake Black in winter, a variety of fishmeal pellet based more in summer, sweet for bream.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
It can get in your head, why are the others catching when I’m not, what bait are they using, it must be different than mine, I need to change my bait, still nothing, change bait again, still nothing and there is a good chance you have missed that your feeding or presentation is wrong, or the depth of water the fish want to in isn’t where you are fishing.

When commercial fish are hungry they will eat pellets, late spring to late autumn you could take just pellets and catch well. Yes, there are days when maggots down the edge work, or meat short, but you would still catch either some, the same number or maybe more on pellet.

Some venues you have to adapt, not sure now, but a few years back the ‘veg line’ (corn, meat is banned) was a banker at the Glebe, so you needed it, but whilst I haven’t been there for a couple of years, I understand corn isn’t the banker it was. Use info to help you decide when visiting venues you don’t fish often.

Give it a whirl, go out and only take two baits! I guarantee that if you do that, you will get more confident in those two baits, learn more about them and it will make you think more about your rigs, presentation, feeding and where in the peg you fish, rather than worrying about what you have on the hook.
Great advice , i won my club league 3 or 4 times maybe more on just pellet ,micros, 4 ,6 and 8mm and a few expanders . I need to get back to that ,maybe a pint of casters or maggot if the carp aren't feeding for an hour .old club not new one , i have changed clubs only won once ,a few seconds ,i seem to have lost my mojo lol

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Summer on commercials, micro's, 4mm pellets, 6mm pellet and 8mm pellets. A tub of expanders, a bag of groundbait for the method, meat and corn.

Depending on where I draw determines what bait I take to my peg however I'll take the minimum I may need i.e. 6mm pellet for the pole with meat short with everything else left in the car.

Rivers caster, maggot and hemp for dace, chub and barbel on a clear river unless I'm targeting roach and skimmers/bream in which case I may ball it with groundbait.

In winter bread may come into play on a clear river as would lobworms, meat, pellet and fishmeal groundbait on a flooded river.

I try to keep it as simple as possible

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Great advice , i won my club league 3 or 4 times maybe more on just pellet ,micros, 4 ,6 and 8mm and a few expanders . I need to get back to that ,maybe a pint of casters or maggot if the carp aren't feeding for an hour .old club not new one , i have changed clubs only won once ,a few seconds ,i seem to have lost my mojo lol
I don’t even carry micros in the summer..... As for not being so successful with a new club, have you sat down and thought it through, is it a higher standard of angler, is it different venues, have you changed your approach, have you just had a poor run of draws, many variables that you can work through and either discount as possibilities or it will give you something to work on........................................ and as a last resort, go back to the old club 😀😀 they might be noddies 😛

Browner

Site Supporter
River - Bread, meat, likky bread
Canal - Bread, likky bread
Lake - Maggots, corn, ground bait. (Can’t get bread to work on the lake)

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I don’t even carry micros in the summer..... As for not being so successful with a new club, have you sat down and thought it through, is it a higher standard of angler, is it different venues, have you changed your approach, have you just had a poor run of draws, many variables that you can work through and either discount as possibilities or it will give you something to work on........................................ and as a last resort, go back to the old club 😀😀 they might be noddies 😛
Yes to everything lol, better anglers ,rubbish draws ,i like the feeder the venues i now fish are not so good with the feeder . Im really out of practice to ,i need to get some angling in . If i get my act together im sure i can compete with them . The venues weve fished so far have been worse than pants . Not just for me but all of us .

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
This is a question I read on Fishing Magic, not sure what the etiquette is for stealing other peoples threads but hey ho, I thought it was a good question, not meant to be too serious, that while difficult to answer could provoke a range of answers. Hopefully none of the answers will be abusive or with curt 'it all depends' type replies. :LOL:

For me it is difficult to answer because it all depends, but that's what makes it interesting to try to answer. I would say I side on the side of taking only a few baits as I'm a pleasure angler, often I will go with one thing in mind, eg. check the condition of the river before I go, have a good idea where I'm going to fish and what method I'm going to use. That's something you can't really do in matches but I expect a lot of people would tell me I should take everything just in case.

So for rivers...
- On the small river, often I will only take maggots and worms. Sometimes will try bread too, or meat if it's up.
- On the Severn I have several different approaches. Could be just bread and mash, could be just maggots, casters and hemp, could be just pellets and a variety of boilie type hookbaits, or any combination of two of those so I can change my approach on the day.

On commercials
- In winter, this is when I fish them most, often just maggots, pinkies, micros and groundbait.
- In summer, often impromptu sessions with just corn and 4mm pellets.

On 'natural' lakes
- For Bream, I take 4mm pellets, groundbait, maggots, corn and worms.
- For Tench, I take maggots, hemp, corn and worms.

On canals.
- I used to fish these more and as they were club matches I'd take a bigger variety of baits, usually squatts and pinkies (or more often bloodworm and joker), casters, worms and bread. These days I find on the few sessions I've had I try to just rely on bread and will maybe take some pinkies, maggots or casters as a change.

So while I do take a few change baits, I don't take the kitchen sink, one thing I will say is that I usually have a tin of corn in my bag wherever I go. Casters only really play a part in my fishing on rivers but I do struggle to find bait of high enough quality for me, they are often quite small and not very fresh for their cost.
It was my thread that I started, 😄.
It's ok for you to carry on 😂

bluemack

Site Supporter
Always include meat,NEVER include corn(hate using corn).
But only fish rivers.

Blanks

Site Supporter
I usually have a good idea what baits are working and when on the venues I fish, in fact that is usually the first consideration when preparing to go.
Commercials - Pellet, Paste, Corn, Dead Maggot, GB
River - Maggot, Caster, Worm, Hemp, GB
Canal - Pinkie, Squatt, Caster, Worm, Bread, GB
These baits form the core of what I use.

Last edited:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
On the river for me it’s maggot, caster, hemp, tares, corn, bread

Yet to fish a commercial (one day my son, one day)

Natural local lakes are all the river stuff plus 2mm, 4mm, 6mm & 8mm hard pellets, 6mm & 8mm wafters, groundbait, glugs, worms, fibre paste.

What I use when is entirely weather and season dependant but I am guilty of carrying the full larder more often than not which probably hinders my success rates rather than helping :)

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Winter - always have maggots, corn, expanders & micros.
Spring and summer - corn, expanders, hard pellets & micros. Sometimes meat or paste.

I completely get what Maesknoll is saying about taking too many baits. I've done it in matches & my head has been all over the place, wondering which ones to use.

CarpCatcher86

As few as possible, sometimes just one.
I find if I have several different baits, I have less confidence in each bait, simply because I have another one to try if one doesn't work.

bris

Site Supporter
Some great responses in here. I’m guilty of taking every bait with me ‘just in case’.

One thing that I can never figure out; 6mm and 8mm pellets I get for warmer and bigger carp, but what determines whether to use micros or 4mms? This is fishing commercials for carp and any silvers, not F1s