How many baits do you take with you?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
This is a question I read on Fishing Magic, not sure what the etiquette is for stealing other peoples threads but hey ho, I thought it was a good question, not meant to be too serious, that while difficult to answer could provoke a range of answers. Hopefully none of the answers will be abusive or with curt 'it all depends' type replies. :LOL:

For me it is difficult to answer because it all depends, but that's what makes it interesting to try to answer. I would say I side on the side of taking only a few baits as I'm a pleasure angler, often I will go with one thing in mind, eg. check the condition of the river before I go, have a good idea where I'm going to fish and what method I'm going to use. That's something you can't really do in matches but I expect a lot of people would tell me I should take everything just in case.

So for rivers...
- On the small river, often I will only take maggots and worms. Sometimes will try bread too, or meat if it's up.
- On the Severn I have several different approaches. Could be just bread and mash, could be just maggots, casters and hemp, could be just pellets and a variety of boilie type hookbaits, or any combination of two of those so I can change my approach on the day.

On commercials
- In winter, this is when I fish them most, often just maggots, pinkies, micros and groundbait.
- In summer, often impromptu sessions with just corn and 4mm pellets.

On 'natural' lakes
- For Bream, I take 4mm pellets, groundbait, maggots, corn and worms.
- For Tench, I take maggots, hemp, corn and worms.

On canals.
- I used to fish these more and as they were club matches I'd take a bigger variety of baits, usually squatts and pinkies (or more often bloodworm and joker), casters, worms and bread. These days I find on the few sessions I've had I try to just rely on bread and will maybe take some pinkies, maggots or casters as a change.

So while I do take a few change baits, I don't take the kitchen sink, one thing I will say is that I usually have a tin of corn in my bag wherever I go. Casters only really play a part in my fishing on rivers but I do struggle to find bait of high enough quality for me, they are often quite small and not very fresh for their cost.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Hook bait?
Sweetcorn,
Maggots
Wafters
4, 6 & 8MM hard pellets
2, 4, 6MM expander pellets

Feed?
Micros
Groundbait
Glugs
Also have dyes for pellets.

These are my 'staples' which I always have with me. I add and subtract bags of paste, luncheon meat and such when I see fit.

alsur

Site Supporter
Normally float fishing on river I just take maggots but both rivers I fish are similar and respond well to maggots.

Lakes depends if feeder fishing for Carp/Bream normally take pellets soft hookers and hard, wafters, worms and corn
Pole or float fishing same as feeder without wafters but addition of maggots if I think it might be hard.

Don't take ground bait to river but do to lakes along with micros and a couple of liquid additives

tincatim

Site Supporter
Hopefully none of the answers will be abusive or with curt 'it all depends' type replies.

For me it is difficult to answer because it all depends,
👀🤣

It depends for me as well. River float fishing it’s maggots, or bread. River feeder it’s halibut pellets, meat, maggots, casters. Stillwaters, I’ll always take 2mm/6mm pellets, groundbait, corn, wafters, maybe worms and most often maggots. When we could visit tackle shops I’d often pick something new up to try but it’s been that long I’ve forgotten what.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
On looking for new baits, there's some I don't use that are quite common, have never tried Tares, only ever buy 4mm pellets or micros, and never tried Wafters, can do enough fishing without feeling like I need to.

But the last 'new' (to me) thing I bought was this particle mix when I was going to go Tench fishing at a different venue (never did in the end as I found one closer to home). I ended up mixing it with my Barbel groundbait and caught fish but not sure if it really made a difference.

Had just spotted it in the tackle shop and thought it'd fit into my Tench fishing somehow, doubt I'll have to buy it again but it seemed good.

2020-06-16 13.07.10.jpg

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Went to Tamar yesterday, only had 1 hook bait. Sweetcorn.

Normally on commercials i have a bait bag full of various pellets and wafters.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
As you say it’s completely venue and method/targets dependant.

For example for float fishing rivers or more natural style stillwaters I’ll always have hemp, maggot and groundbait and quite often have hooker pellets, casters and tares as well, occasionally bread. If feeder fishing rivers I’ll have the above plus sometimes worms, corn and feed pellets as well. For commercials it’s always on the float and I don’t really give it much thought so generally just take maggots, pellets, bread and groundbait but will sometimes take corn and meat. Sea fishing I’ll take squid, mackerel, hardback crabs and ragworms.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
The 4 staples. Maggot, casters, sweetcorn and luncheon meat. If I can't get casters then I take a tub of 4mm soft hookers and a tub of 6mm soft hookers.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Depends on time of year, especially on Commercials.
Winter. Maggot. Bread
Summer. Hard pellet. Maggot and GB for mudlines and edges. Maggot or Caster for shalla.
Will use Expanders and Micros when needed.

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
I generally take a can of supermarket corn, magggots, a few casters and some hooker pellets. I also take some groundbait, although whether I use it very much depends on how the session is going.

I always have maggots and casters left over after each session.

tedstriker

Site Supporter
Expanders, hard pellets, corn are the 3 I always have and then add meat, bread, prawn and paste for hook baits in the warmer months

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
If stillwater fishing I'll just use 2mm micros with 50% groundbait to go in the feeder then various hard pellet or wafter for the hook.

Barbel fishing I've not settled on anything yet, I've tried scalded pellet rammed into a feeder, groundbait with 3 and 6mm pellet, hemp and corn mixed in and rammed into a feeder. Various particles rammed into a big pva mesh sausage and zip tied to a lead. Chopped boilie in a mesh sausage, even a decent amount of meat mixed in with gb. On the hook (or hair even) it's usually boillie or pellet.

Pike fishing I usually take a selection of deads. Lamprey, mackerel tail, blueys, mixed coarse fish and some smelts.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Far to many to list. For a typical match on a drain for instance I could have squatt, hooker pinkies, hooker Red maggot, caster, hemp and worm. Plus groundbait. In winter I’d leave out the hemp and replace with buppy. Squatt would be the main attack in a team match, Worm in an open. Rivers would be broadly the same but with maggot and caster being a more likely method of attacking the peg, using more groundbait.
Blimey, there was so bases needed covering for different venues and then the peg you drew on the day. No point drawing a Chub flyer and not having a load of maggot on you. Same with Bream and Worm.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Commercials Summer
Pellet
- Feed 2, 4 & 6 mil hard
- Hook 4, 6 mil exp. 4, 6 & 8 mil hard

Corn, meat if allowed and I think it works at that venue

Commercials Winter
Pellet
- Feed 2 & 4 mil hard
- Hook 2 & 4 mil exp, 4 & 6 mil hard (rarely used)

Corn, maggot, pinkie

No bread because some of the places I fish ban it so I am not in the habit of using it. Something I should probably address though corn skin seems a good alternative.

Canal (only fish in Winter)
Maggot, pinkie, bread

River
Maggot, Pinkie, worm

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Far to many to list. For a typical match on a drain for instance I could have squatt, hooker pinkies, hooker Red maggot, caster, hemp and worm. Plus groundbait. In winter I’d leave out the hemp and replace with buppy. Squatt would be the main attack in a team match, Worm in an open. Rivers would be broadly the same but with maggot and caster being a more likely method of attacking the peg, using more groundbait.
Blimey, there was so bases needed covering for different venues and then the peg you drew on the day. No point drawing a Chub flyer and not having a load of maggot on you. Same with Bream and Worm.
Buppy?

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I’ll expand on the answer that I gave on FM:

Match fishing on a river
majority of venues that I match fish are mixed species, so i may have to target chub, barbel, roach, dace, perch or bream ... or often a mixed bag of these.

hence I usually take
  • casters, mixed maggot (approx 2:2:1 of whites, bronze and reds), a few fluoro pinkies, hemp, tares, dendras, lobbies, 3mm halibut pellets, a selection of 4,6 and 8 mm pellet
  • and sometimes a bit of ground bait and luncheon meat.
however,
In the main I prefer to catch on the float if I can.
my main attack will be based around hemp & casters until end October and maggot thereafter.
I’ll usually feed a “throwaway line” for perch somewhere in the peg

Match fishing on a canal/drain
groundbait, liccy/punch crumb, slice of bread, hemp, squatts, pinkies, big maggot, casters, dendroboenas, lobworms

all of those in tiny quantities really ... bread and squatts being the main attack.
local canals I’d take half a pint of squatts, i might take a pint to March ... but TBH bread and hemp are more effective there.

evening session on local river
whatever hemp & caster is left over from the weekend, as little as quarter of a pint is sufficient for a decent session.

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
As few as I think I can get away with, too many just leads to chasing your tail trying to get bites, instead of concentrating on why you aren’t getting bites.

Hard pellets and maggots would be my two staples, with meat where it’s allowed.
Thats my big mistake ,to many baits ,i do better on just pellets and corn 🌽. Your right i keep swapping and changing ,back to basics for me