How long?

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Matches have always, by tradition, been drawn at 9:00 and fished 10:00 till 3:00. Back in the day, on the Trent circuit, you would set up 2 rods; waggler and stick including threading shotting and adjusting, set your nets up, organise your bait etc etc.... You then had 20 minutes left for a fag and a cuppa before the whistle. Nowadays rigs are pre shotted, there are no rods to thread (assuming a pole only match) and everything else attaches to your box. However, I find I no longer have time for the fag and cuppa and I am having to rush to get everything set up in time for the whistle.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Around our way it's usually 90minutes from draw to all in and then five or six hours depending on venue.
Just about enough time to get set up and have a quick brew

map

Can’t you just suggest an extra half hour ???

2hrs on big money qualifliers. Also 2 hours at Monk lakes during the summer. Hour and a half in the winter.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
It's an hour on our club matches, arrive at 8, all in at 9.

MarkW

Back in the late 80s I fished evening matches on a pond that's about 10 minutes from my house now. Draw at 5pm, fishing at 5:30 so just about 10 minutes to get set up which was either one waggler rod or a pole/whip. On the first matches I fished I still lived 9 miles away so I had to leave work at 4pm, drive home, grab a bite to eat, change and load up, then back to Poole, sometimes I was a bit frazzled by the time I got to the draw. A few years later on Sunday club matches it started getting to 2 hours between draw and start which was ridiculous and I got bored waiting an hour for the match to start.

davylad

Site Supporter
Draw at 8, fish 9 - 3 30, just the right amount of time for setting up for me, any more I would be setting things up I won't need.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Some of the matches in Ireland are 9am draw in at 12 because of the travelling required and there are still people not ready at the all in.

lp1886

Site Supporter
im very rarely ready at the all-in. I try to sort bait out at home before I leave to buy me a few minutes but i could still do with an extra 10 mins.

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
On the Preston Anglo-Dutch Festival, the draw's at 08:00 and we have rods in at 12:00. IMHO just right, gives you time to have a cuppa/Breakfast, get to the venues, (the river Ijsell), about 20 minutes away and to get comfortably set up, have a chat/Spy with your neighbours and then start in a relaxed frame of mind-Perfect!

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
I like to have at least an hour once i’m At my peg on rivers, as I don’t carry rods made up.

Sometimes it takes an hour or more to get to the peg, depending on draw location and length of walk.

What I can’t understand is why it takes some people sooooo long to pack away after.

bigmac1

Our club matches are 7.45 draw fish 8.30 till 1.30 as most lads either want to get off down the pub or home for Sunday lunch.
45 mins set up time used to be enough when I was kid, but now I'm always at least 15 mins behind the all in. I've tried sorting my groundbait and pellets at home to save time but I hasn't really made a difference

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
At the oaks you get an hour from the start of the draw and I'm always ready.
At other places its 1 1/2 to 2 and I am never ready

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Our club matches are 7.45 draw fish 8.30 till 1.30 as most lads either want to get off down the pub or home for Sunday lunch.
45 mins set up time used to be enough when I was kid, but now I'm always at least 15 mins behind the all in. I've tried sorting my groundbait and pellets at home to save time but I hasn't really made a difference
back when I started (in the 80s) the Vauxhall summer club matches on the Gt ouse were 8-12 fishing time - with a liquid lunch at the Swan, Radwell.
These were 40 to 60 peggers and the walks could be quite long. iirc the draw was at 6.15 or 6.30.
No permanent pegs, so the peggers had to be out REALLY early.

Sadly, the chub have gone, the pub is now a house - and the matches are usually a dozen to 15 people :-(

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
thing is Dave - in many ways the fishing can be even better - it's just roach and dace mainly now.

Trent's the same isn't it - look at the match results on BJ now .... miles better than 30 years ago in a lot of ways, but hardly any matches,
The other point is that chub would happily feed through the winter, whereas roach and dace migrate - leaving large stretches fishless.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
You are right mate, why the take up on river matches is so low I can't understand, if I was a bit closer to the Trent I would be back on the circuit.

Gwillim

Because they are not stuffed full of hungry fish that will take anything on offer and give you a chance of winning some money, they make you learn watercraft and how to actually fish and until you do that there is a very high probability of a blank!