How long have Pellet Wagglers been about?

Zerkalo

I don't remember them 20 years ago. That was around the same time as method feeders became all the rage if I remember right?

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I don't remember them 20 years ago. That was around the same time as method feeders became all the rage if I remember right?
We used to use a big splasher wagglers then and fire balls of groundbait at it,then it was baggin wag or fish wag and mag , I think I started using them about 10 years ago , but they could of been around before

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I started using dumpy 4 swan wagglers on commies some 25 years ago. Does that count ? ?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I can remember making proper pellet waggler floats for Dick Clegg (Britannia Angling) in 2007. Short dumpy ones in balsa, loaded and unloaded.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

I had a break from fishing and related media for over 10 years and I must admit it's one of the things I had to google when I came back. I suppose it's like any other method really, but other than the Jigga, it's the only 'new method' I can really think of that's appeared during my hiatus.

The advantages of it seem fairly clear, but it's not much different to just fishing a pole or waggler shallow really?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I thought much the same thing, not sure a whole extra range of floats and rods are needed to just fish pellets shallow but fair play to the tackle companies they've exploited the perceived need well.

Zerkalo

I've seen videos of people fishing pole float rigs on waggler rods just to be able to handle the size that carp have grown to in some commies quite quickly, so I suppose it has that advantage of being able to catch up in the water with a bit of a splash on rod and line. (tempted to fish Sion Farm using pole rig on rod)

Does sound like a fun method anyway, or one to use in matches in certain situations anyway.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
fishing and feeding the pellet wag for an entire 5 hour match is very tiring,

Zerkalo

Whenever I feel like I might be heading into a bit of a rut with my fishing and getting bored of the same methods, I always remember that there's matches I could be entering that would liven the whole thing up again. I can imagine a lot of people who pleasure fish commercials would feel the same way, that match fishing the same places adds a whole new dimension to it.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I gave up the open circuit in 1997 after 27 years of it. I fish the odd club match now and again just to keep my hand in. On pleasure sessions, I use that time to practice my accuracy, not just with casting, but also with the catty. I fish mainly feeder and waggler so accuracy is a must. I don't get into a rut or get bored of that. What I do get bored with is fishing the clubs waters, as bailiff on them I know each peg, depth, bottom etc. and it's getting too easy.

lp1886

Site Supporter
I can’t remember them being around in 2002. Then when I came back to fishing in 2006 they were very popular.

nejohn

Site Supporter
In essence the technique is not new, fishing a waggler shallow and spraying loose feed around the slow sinking hook bait has been around for many years, had some good sessions fishing this method with maggots as bait, it has just been a case of applying a known technique to a different set of circumstances. But fair play to the tackle trade they have done a good job of convincing people they need a whole new set of kit

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I first remember using large 6-8grm wagglers in the mid 90's fishing with balls of maggot bound with horlicks with a big bunch of grubs on the hook... I s'pose it's evolved from there

ukzero1

Site Supporter
I first remember using large 6-8grm wagglers in the mid 90's fishing with balls of maggot bound with horlicks with a big bunch of grubs on the hook... I s'pose it's evolved from there

Would that be wasp grub? A very good bait that's not seen used now (same with gozzers). I can remember using Horlicks too (still do every now and then), and then some bright spark invented 'Sticky Mag' Everyone was jumping on to that yet forgetting what started it.

rudd

Site Supporter
Drennan scud floats followed by Prestons and Mavers offerings.
Remember Will Raison article in AT when he was possibly in late teens - How to catch a ton using the amount of maggots that fitted in a matchbox in five hours at Gold valley using a big splasher waggler.
I used the splashing waggler to target big still water chub that got wary of the feeder, they came to the splash to find a big bunch of maggkts - great fun, still have all my splashers.