How long does it take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thom

Ok here's a question for all you pole anglers out there.

I am quite happy in my ability to get fish in the net quickly when fishing the pole.

A friend of mine timed me from the time i hooked into a carp of 5lb to the time it was in the net and it came at just over 20seconds (this was using a medium set black hydro at 8metres).

Now the thing is after talking to SLF it is quite obvious he doesnt believe this is possible.

How long does it take you to land a carp of similar size on a similar set up, just to put my mind at rest [:)]

Ady

Formerly Adymon
Firstly, without sounding like a twit, your 100% sure your estimation of 5lbs was correct, or did you weigh it?

Just to help other pole anglers answer your question [^]

20seconds is pretty quick :)

monkey

Mines a pint
I take a lot longer than that (not in that sense) But I have seen carp bullied into the net just as quick and bigger than 5lb.

I suppose it depends on the fish, if it had been spawning all day it was probably to knackered to put up a fight

Thom

wey it was a high 4 but it was a match so fish was in the keepnet ASAP.

i do consider it quick but not fast... i mean my rigs are strong and i do prefer to bulyl fish. i dont worry about breaking anything so i do literally just drag the pole backwards and once on the roller i throw it.

and at only 8 metres though... you can easily ship in a metre every 2 seconds if not quicker.

i have to admit i have found myself standing on my seatbox so as to speed up the process [:I]

Ady

Formerly Adymon
I always getm my fish in fast, out of habit really, i mean its going to hurt the poor buggers, rather for a few seconds than let it pull you around the swim for 5 minutes and injure itself further

strat2

i had a 18lb carp on 0.30 and red hydro the other day for 35mins lol
i bottomed it too

might be time to get brown in :p

Thom

Originally posted by strat2

i had a 18lb carp on 0.30 and red hydro the other day for 35mins lol
i bottomed it too

might be time to get brown in :p

didnt have it tight enough![:D][:p]

strat2

lmao lol

i do actually value myself after about 2 ft comes out its like rope !

Hatman

Drawbag ace
Originally posted by metalforever

A friend of mine timed me from the time i hooked into a carp of 5lb to the time it was in the net and it came at just over 20seconds

A friend of mine manages to net them before he hooks them. He fishes on a Milo Tardis [:D]

I'm amazed at 20 seconds, I'd like to see that first hand. Although I know some are very skillfull with carp, I'm resolute that many I've caught couldn't have been netted anywhere near that quickly.

Thom

im actually finding it hard to see why other people dont net them this quickly, i mean the carp didnt fight very hard but its because i was smooth on the shipping the elastic is soft and i didnt strike voilantly... but still 20 second is a canny little while when you think about it!

another example is at catterick when i was fishing the snake lake. fished black hydro for carp averaging 2-3lb and they were flying in!

neil1646

I personally play fish steadily but firmly, i dont see the point in pulling the fishes head off and risking the chance of pulling the hook unless for example you have hooked a fish at the end of the match ect.

I think the theory is true that the harder you pull, the fish will pull twice as hard. I try to make each fish count and dont see the point in wasting time waiting for bites to loose the fish through rushing it. I think Nathan Watson and Neil Machin at last years fisho is a fine example of this, Nathan bullied his fish and ended up loosing as much as he caught, whilst Neil was steady and methodical and that was the difference between being 25,000 richer and being the bridesmaid. In the words of the great Dennis White " tha dunt count till tha in't net fatha"

With Regards to your original question metal,I Think 20 seconds is quick but ive had 1lb fish hang on for ages and larger carp come straight to the service. Each fish fights differently.

Regards

Neil

Thom

I reckon a trip to woodlands is needed [:)]

Im sure i can land fish very quickly but that fish could have been a fluke. lets find out =]

G2LAndrew

Wandering Angler
Hi guys, I suppose I may get a bit 0f a hammering for what I am about to say so should start by qualifying my comments and point out that I fully appreciate that it really is each to their own, we all take different pleasures from the sport and that is understood. I also understand that in a match environment speed is everything but isn't some of the pleasure lost in landing a 5LB carp in 20 seconds? For me fishing is about pitting your wits against nature and when I hook into something big it needs to be played and thats part of the pleasure of the competition, me against the fish. I always tackle according to the conditions with the welfare of the fish in mind, so if I know there are big fish and lots of snags I will tackle heavier but at the same time light enough for it to be sport rather than a no contest.

Actually this raises a question, is a fishing match a good way to tell who is the most skilful angler or merely who is the quickest as some of the old art, such as fighting and winning against a big fish seems to have been bypassed in the name of speed?

OK, I await an avalanche of abuse... sorry if I have offended.

Last edited:

breamcatcher

15/07/06 -016/02/14
In Memoriam
I fail to see any enjoyment,in dragging a 5lb fish to a waiting landing net in 20 seconds.[:0]
Assuming the time taken to bait the hook,re-ship your pole to the desired length,position the foat and wait for the bait to settle,(if fishing at full depth).Then wait for a bite,which could be instant if your lucky [:D].Only to drag your quarry in without any thought or consideration to the fishes welfare.Then we as anglers are the first to complain,when we see fish with damaged with deformed mouths [:0].Surely, there is more to angling than that? I have fished matches for over 30 years with a decent success rate and never had any desire or inclination to hurry to that extent,Or is it that match fishing in general has become just a time and motion study in fish capture?

newies_maggots

it takes as long as it takes to land a GOOD fish...

even pleasure fishing, if i lose a cracker, it p1sses me off, so i try to be as careful as possible, until landed...

Benji

Account Locked
Originally posted by breamcatcher
Or is it that match fishing in general has become just a time and motion study in fish capture?

Interesting thought, makes you wonder how long it is till we see bait boats being used in matches as mini trawlers.

adam

does it really matter how quickly you land them? i no alot of people who land fish quicker than e but the majority dont catch any more, i also know people who take longer to land them and catch as much and some of them more. your main aim should be that every one ends up in your net not that they are in it in 20 seconds. i personally dont mind playing a fish for a minute or 2 because it gives the rest of the shoal chance to settle back down meaning you ll properbly hook another one quicker when you go back out any way

graeme s

ian good morning my old chirpy chirper. did you get my text ref our t shirts picking up friday if i am happy with them. which they should be for the price i paid for them.

adam_f

if you dont strike like an idiot and try to rip the carps head off it will come in very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.