how long can fish stay out of water

Status
Not open for further replies.

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Hey on saturday when me and twig was fishing yeadon Tarn (dam) twig caught his 1st tench straight away around 3lb mark and there old women came and started having a go at him saying he was burning the fish we didnt have an unhooking mat but we unhooked it in the landing net of the wet grass. She started blaming him for killing all the fish. because we had to take a pic of it we had it out for a minute we safetly put it back into the water and it swam off.

My question is how long can fish suvive without water. i know its differs to differnt fish so can you give me a guide.. thanx

Regards Gf

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Gf,

The golden rule here is return it in the quickest time possible.

Un-hooking mats are essential on some waters and should be used wherever possible. (Bob-co 9.99) If you haven't got one as in this case you did the right thing, keep it on the net on a grassy area.
There is the argument that there is the possibility of a blade of grass or some debri that may catch the fish but the net greatly reduces this.

When photographing fish, keep the camera ready, the same with scales, and when you have landed one, unhook it, photograph it/weigh it and return to the water asap.
If the fish is exhausted make sure it swims off before you leave it, even hold it in the water temporarily until it's ready

Dave

goin_fishin

'Tiddler'
Thanx dave for the info i did hold them in the water til they kicked off.
How do you calm them down i caught 4lb mirror and while twig was taking pic it was fighting in my hand i put my thumb in its mouth and it still was fighting?????????

Regards Gf

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
the easiest way is to cover its head with a cloth (damp) or something similar.

As for how long can they stay out of water....theres a cat fish in africa (can't remember its name) that can bury itself in the mud at the bottom of a watering hole & stay there without water for anything upto 6 months, the same fish can also "walk" across land (can't tell i love watching nature programs can you).

Alan
Datafile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.