How long before re casting?

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Before you start casting that method feeder Stewie have half a dozen 3 - 4 minute casts with a bomb and corn or popped up 10mm bread discs. You’ll be surprised how this one method of bomb dobbing can put a few quick fish in your net. Good luck pal. ?
Thank you @tipitinmick , appreciate your advice. ????

I'll give it a try as soon as I've a) read up on bomb fishing, b) purchased said bomb and c) established how to attach bomb and presumably longer hooklength to my setup.

Silver fan 82

Fishmeal or sweet groundbait this time of year? In the warmer months I'll fish with fishmeal. Lately I've been mixing a sweet groundbait with a fishmeal but no luck. I know this varies from venue to venue even day to day but would be interested to hear what your preference is?

Silver fan 82

I normally chuck it once, if it doesn't go round in 5 mins it goes up the bank!
Cant see the current fascination with feeder fishing bores me senseless!
Each to their own lol! I've personally found that feeder or bomb produces a better stamp of fish. But that's just based on my experience.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
another thing to try, if you have used a crumb feeder is to let it hit the bottom, tighten up to taste, then just pull the feeder along about half the length of the hooklength your using,

it should, or so I was told or read somewhere by someone who I admired thier skills or suchlike, leave a short trail of the tasty stuff, with if all being well your hook somewhere in the middle of said trail,

Ive found it works, but, I mighta hooked anyway just leavin it

kinda mysterious eh ?

Silver fan 82

another thing to try, if you have used a crumb feeder is to let it hit the bottom, tighten up to taste, then just pull the feeder along about half the length of the hooklength your using,

it should, or so I was told or read somewhere by someone who I admired thier skills or suchlike, leave a short trail of the tasty stuff, with if all being well your hook somewhere in the middle of said trail,

Ive found it works, but, I mighta hooked anyway just leavin it

kinda mysterious eh ?
I've tried this too Mick. Whether it makes a difference I don't know but I like the theory of it. Your hook bait among the feed and also straightening your hooklink out ?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’m on a small method feeder, Drennan 15g, and slavishly follow the Des Shipp YouTube videos - the main man recommends 10mins between casts & uses a stopwatch. Loading the feeder with a 50/50 split 2mm pellets, hook bait, groundbait.

Last Saturday saw the first bite at 8 mins and subsequent bites between 8 & 3 mins.

Hoping this Saturday is the same but figuring I may need to fish closer than the 25m range I was at.

TimFB

Where I fish for bream tench and carp, with a cage feeder first 2 hrs 10 mins a cast and then every 20 minutes or when i get a bite, whichever is soonest. With a method and pellets I start at 15 mins and go to a half an hour or a bite after 2 hrs...it works for me, others will say that’s rubbish:D

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I'd try to make something happen, a bit of noise, a cloud, cast to the limits of your peg and look for indications.
Always worth taking the feeder off and putting a bomb on, as light as you can get away with. A 1m hooklength with a hi-viz bait, corn, white maggots or a disc of bread to grab the fish's attention.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
"I've tried this too Mick. Whether it makes a difference I don't know but I like the theory of it. Your hook bait among the feed and also straightening your hooklink out"

When doing that though consider what bottom you are fishing on and check the hook more often - catching debris,masking the bait,hook blunting etc

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
On a lake in winter I would be too scared to use a feeder for the first few hours (fishing for carp). In summer they like noise in winter its a warning IMO.
Small bomb (6g) and corn / bread (No feed) would be my starting point. You can cast this all over your peg without putting bait everywhere.
I look for any signs on the tip and try to find fish.
Cast to one side long and give it 3-5 min.
Liners - cast shorter
No liners - cast a little to side and repeat.
If all else fails I would pick a spot put a very small feeder in and wait upto 30 min.
If I get a bite before the 30min I note the time it took and add 5 min this becomes the max I would leave it in.
Without any fish after 2-3 chucks with a feeder I would go back to the bomb.
Every now and then I would cast the bomb over the feeder to see if the fish have moved to the lightly baited area.

Silver fan 82

I’d leave the feeder rod in the holdall and fish a float..... ?
To be honest I think this weekend I'll be fishing the float as I have been neglecting my float fishing as of late.
Also I like the idea of using a small bomb as said by @pauln this could be well worth a go.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
BTW i fix my bomb with 2 float stops on the main line and a 6" hook length , I can then have 6ft to 6" tail between bomb and hook.
I also use a Drennan in line olivette as you get a nice little plop when feathered in.

Silver fan 82

BTW i fix my bomb with 2 float stops on the main line and a 6" hook length , I can then have 6ft to 6" tail between bomb and hook.
I also use a Drennan in line olivette as you get a nice little plop when feathered in.
Do you feed a little over the top or just cast around until you get bites?