How long before re casting?

Silver fan 82

How long this time of year do you wait before re casting when feeder fishing?
Obviously I know there are alot of variables.
I went to a club lake earlier and fished the cage feeder (shamefully blanked) ?‍♂️
Being that it's alot colder now I was leaving the feeder between 20 and 30 minutes before reeling in, re filling the feeder and recasting, all clipped up and accurate casting. Had a few bites (usually when I had a coffee in my hand) but they were either really quick jabs on the tip or really minuute pulls that I probably struck to early at.
The water is by no means stocked like a commercial but has a good head of silvers and larger carp.
How do you all approach your feeder fishing this time if year if you're not getting bites?

smiffy

Site Supporter
Rather than leaving the feeder in for a longer time I tend to change groundbaits and the amount of feed. Also the size of feeder.
First off though. It’s not a great idea to fish a lake after the first proper frost of the Autumn. Better off on a river??. Anyway,without knowing how many fish are in there, I’d go down to a smaller capacity feeder. Riddle my groundbait to get rid of any lumps that may be seen as food and introduce far les free offerings. I would still cast quite often, every ten minutes or so, but just scale everything down and ease back on things and let the fish dictate things. Hopefully.

RedRidingHood

Site Supporter
Really good question, One I've been struggling to gauge myself.

This is where my pole as a second option is my saving grace. If I'm struggling on the feeder I'll rotate to my pole out of fear of overfeeding leaving a baited area to settle for a bit and vice versa. Rotating between the two accordingly seems to solve any problem's I have with both overfeeding and not catching.

A lot of people like shooting feeders all over the pond until they finally hook into something... Not really a fan of doing that myself.

On my local clubpond which is pretty natural and wild with very little stock I'm happy to leave a feeder in for 15 or so minutes. On a stocked commercial I'd be hesitant to even let a feeder sit for 10 minutes.

bettsfan

I would be inclined not to clip up this time of year and would probably give it 10 minutes per cast. I would say the accuracy can go out the window as the fish may not be moving and you could 'accurately' be casting to nothing. I find it better to find the fish rather than waiting for them to find your bait.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I said this on another thread about winter Bream fishing but I think it holds true for most species. Look for shallower venues. They are quicker to react to a change in the weather. The best winter Bream, match,venue I used to fish didn’t have a count anywhere. The line to fish was a lane created by a ski boat. The deeper the venue, the slower they are to react to a change for the better in the weather?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
On a commercial I start at 15 minutes when its cold. From there I can adjust depending on whether I am getting bites and how soon after casting. But I would rarely wait longer as there may be a reason I'm not getting a bite. Hookbait fouled, hidden or gone, feeder emptied on the way down or just in the wrong place. Best to recast and eliminate these possibilities. I would also recast more frequently to start on a silvers venue to get some bait down. Doesn't need to be much but one feeder of bait can either be lost quickly, eaten or just not enough to be noticed by enough fish.

Think about how much bait you might introduce on the float to get results. The feeder will be similar.

But If no bites are coming on the feeder I would switch to the pole or waggler. Sometimes I will alternate to see which is working. So 10 minutes on the feeder, 5 minutes on the pole. A bite or a fish would see me re-start the clock on whatever method I caught on.

Zerkalo

On commercials I fish in Winter I give it 10 minutes as I'm usually expect to catch. I don't usually have to wait that long for a bite. If it's really hard going I'd give it 15 minutes and think about changing to a smaller feeder.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
First three casts are 7 minutes. Something I’ve done for years. If I’ve not had an indication in that time I have two 3 minute casts then move onto my second line knowing that I will have some bait ( five feeder fulls ) in on my first line. I’ll repeat this process again on my second line.

I use one of these.

Attachments

• 864813DF-7A5B-461F-A1BB-2086A3C19697.jpeg
    864813DF-7A5B-461F-A1BB-2086A3C19697.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 5

Silver fan 82

Rather than leaving the feeder in for a longer time I tend to change groundbaits and the amount of feed. Also the size of feeder.
First off though. It’s not a great idea to fish a lake after the first proper frost of the Autumn. Better off on a river??. Anyway,without knowing how many fish are in there, I’d go down to a smaller capacity feeder. Riddle my groundbait to get rid of any lumps that may be seen as food and introduce far les free offerings. I would still cast quite often, every ten minutes or so, but just scale everything down and ease back on things and let the fish dictate things. Hopefully.
I think it could be worth playing around with groundbait. Food for thought there ?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Never really thought about it as much as I probably should tbh. As with a lot of my fishing I’m kind of just led by how the session pans out so it can be different every time. So this thread is an interesting thread ??

Silver fan 82

Well by the sounds of it I may have not been casting enough. The venue is fairly deep and still quite coloured surprisingly. I wonder if a more bright groundbait would bring better results as its coloured?

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I usually give it ten minutes between casts, changing hookbait on each third cast this time of year using a small inline feeder.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I’m definitely guilty of not casting enough on the feeder in the warmer half of the year. Invariably if go without a bite after x amount of time it’s because I’ve landed straight in weed or been stripped on the drop. I should probably be more suspicious and check more often but I just think oh leave it a bit longer.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Pretty new to fishing, but having concentrated thus far almost solely on the method feeder, I started off with 5 minute casts for the first 30 minutes, then 10 minute casts, however now the first frost has come, I'll be going for 10 minute casts for the first hour and 15 minute casts after that, subject to bites.

Also starting to practice my float fishing, so will be mixing in a few periods of that during a planned session this saturday.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well by the sounds of it I may have not been casting enough. The venue is fairly deep and still quite coloured surprisingly. I wonder if a more bright groundbait would bring better results as its coloured?

if its fairly deep, switch from a cage to a crumb feeder, you may be loosing the feed on the drop down

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Pretty new to fishing, but having concentrated thus far almost solely on the method feeder, I started off with 5 minute casts for the first 30 minutes, then 10 minute casts, however now the first frost has come, I'll be going for 10 minute casts for the first hour and 15 minute casts after that, subject to bites.

Also starting to practice my float fishing, so will be mixing in a few periods of that during a planned session this saturday.
Before you start casting that method feeder Stewie have half a dozen 3 - 4 minute casts with a bomb and corn or popped up 10mm bread discs. You’ll be surprised how this one method of bomb dobbing can put a few quick fish in your net. Good luck pal. ?