How Little?

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I don’t buy new gear for the sake of it, I still use Normark rods that are many years old, but I have rarely found any cheap kit that performs as well as that which is placed near or at the top of the price range. I just buy what I like and suits me, I really couldn’t care less if none of the gear matches in colour or is of different brands or if it isn’t a brand at all. It must just do it’s job effectively and I would much rather buy something that lasts years than keep buying something that doesn’t last.

An example of this would be keepnets, I have tried using cheaper keepnets and they wear out quickly, I bought some Drennan ones and they are still going strong. 5 1/2 years ago I bought an Octbox, it’ll last many more years, I know guys I fish with who are on their second box in that time.

At the end of the day, do what makes you happy.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Wow!!! These sort of posts really seem to stir people up; this one and my own recent post, "how much" resulted in so many misinterpretations when, all they were ever intended to do was to show the newcomer to the sport that you don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy yourself. At no point, in either, thread was it mentioned that people shouldn't buy flagship, branded gear. In fact, both Neil and myself went to great pains to point out that if people enjoyed buying the dearest gear then they should continue to do so and best of luck to them. :upthumb:

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’ve been through three phases in the last ten years since I came back to fishing. I always have what I need and I am happy. My first phase was where the local tackle shop kitted me out with everything I needed to fish for £50. I then bought stuff in the Decathlon Sports big sale. Capelan specials mostly. I got two brand new reels for about £5 each and they are surprisingly good for the price. Then I bought a 13m MAP pole for about £300.

Then about a year in my Dad died and left me a few thousand quid and I went totally overboard. £1200 pole which was totally unsuitable for somebody with my limited experience so I kept breaking it. Got rid of that. A £500 box which I couldn’t even lift onto my new £150 trolley which in turn I couldn’t push. That phase lasted about a year and I spent a lot of money. I bought and sold every feeder rod on the market because none of them felt as nice as my original £50 Garbolino.

Then the money ran out and I was into phase three. I bought stuff that actually suited me rather than what I thought looked good. I have stuck with Garbolino rods. I have never bought any of their £30 ranges so I can’t comment on them. I have bought quite a few different ones from £50-£120 and love them all. It just seems that the feel I want is the same as what Garbolino’s R&D seem to like. I’ve still got the MAP entry level 13m pole and I does everything I want. I rarely fish it at 13m anyway but it’s fine at that distance. It’s way more robust than the expensive poles and suits me down to the ground. My box is an Octoplus Super Stool with my custom seat on it. It’s rock solid, carries enough pole rigs as well as disgorgers, scissors and the like. I only use it for pole fishing as I’ve got a nice comfy (high) chair and attachments for rod fishing.

I’m really happy with everything I’ve got now and I’ve learnt to buy what I like and not what I think other people will like :)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I've never used a garbolino @Markywhizz but did have a waggle of the ultra light waggler and a couple feeder rods at the big one show a couple years in a row and was definitely impressed with them. Quite an underrated brand I think.

Dusty

Site Supporter
I think the availability of good quality tackle at lower prices is much higher now than it was say 10 years ago.

You can buy rods now for between £30 and £50 now that will be more than adequate to fish competently in 99.9% of scenarios.

As I stated earlier I use a £35 feeder rod and a £50 pellet waggler rod but I’ve found them more than adequate for what I use.

Would a £200 rod do the job better? Personally I believe it would but I feel like the amount of benefit I would see from the upgrade wouldn’t be worth the increase in price for the standard of fishing I do.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Love reading the toing and froing on threads which discuss spending money and the value of tackle as they are guaranteed to raise the hackles.
What always makes me smile is some anglers will throw the money at new tackle like there is no tomorrow but give little consideration to spending money on decent bait and in some cases enough of it.

Dusty

Site Supporter
I don’t know why people are so bothered about what everyone else gets up to. If you’ve got the money and want to buy it then crack on, likewise if you want to turn up with a cane rod that your grandad gifted you and a dragon carp reel then fill your boots.

As long as anglers are respectful, enjoy what they are doing and handle the fish correctly then I couldn’t care less what gear they’ve got.

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
You get to a point when you realise it is a catch 22. You buy the angling mags, cool angler x catches more because we are told he uses new rod/pole/reel y. We then purchase said item and the angler in question loses vogue then angler z is now winning because they use item A. And so it continues. In reality all anglers in their prime, as is said, have worked out the feeding needed to win. Therefore it is not the gear...however...

Now for an admission, I still get sucked in by mobile phone ads, and change every 2 years. I still get sucked into New cards ads and change every 4 years.