How light can you fish ?

BarryS

Gone fishing
Site Supporter
I have trout fished for decades and one of the great things about flyfishing is just how little gear you need. A rod. a net....and all the bits ...flies, etc in a waistcoat. Trout fishing is now so expensive that I have gone back to coarse fishing with a fly rod. .....I get a full days sport..........no limit and the carp I catch go better than most trout I have ever caught...and I don't have to kill trout I don't want to eat.
I cant fish quite as light as my trout fishing days.....But almost. A larger / longer net...a light chair and a matt and the rest in the waistcoat.
Yes I do have all the other gear for bottom fishing......Which I enjoy now and again.......but it's a right fag loading up a trolley to take it all................Being an old git light fishing for me whenever I can :)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I have a Korum Roving Kit so my chair clips to my RuckBag, and my unhooking mat to the back of that. Then it's rod sling, landing net bag and an Umbro sports holdall for extra stuff like bait. Sometimes an extra carrier bag for extra bait, flask and sandwich box.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
The small tele/folding landing net is just out of shot, (it fits in the bag too)

20190915_111037.jpg

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Summer river lunchtime sessions for me are a 4m pole, box of maggots, landing net and a little box of essentials such as weights, disgorgers, etc. Add to that two pole rigs and I am sorted.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
The base kit for me is the same in terms of my korum rucksack and chair (all terminal tackle, bait and food fits in and amongst them), a landing net and a couple bank sticks. The rest depends on the venue. On commercials and canals it’s generally just two rods and and on rivers and more natural lakes it’s usually 3 rods sometimes 4. Then I’ll often take a second net and/or a mat depending on the specifics of a venue. Very occasionally on short canal sessions I’ll just take one rod and ditch the rucksack for a small second tackle box if you like that just fits in my chair. That’s also all I take on my boat as well although the boat itself obviously cancels out the light bit! Then for sea fishing I generally take two rods and tackle bag or box both about half the size of my coarse rucksack. Well and a bucket of leads if it’s that sort of fishing which certainly isn’t light!

Shadrack

This is my total kit for a few hours trotting on a small river. Rod, net, bait is usually bread which I chuck in the net for carrying round, and terminal tackle goes in a bait caddy around my waist. Tube of floats normally stays in the car after picking out two or three once I’ve seen the river. Light as can be.

42DFA95C-8BE5-45D6-8180-FCE46363BAC1.jpeg

Shadrack

Ledger fishing the river with similar kit as well, just add a bank stick and throw a few leads/feeders in with the terminal tackle.
53345B62-044D-4286-98AB-19C90F6EDE79.jpeg

TiggerXFM

I've often gone fishing with a maggot pouch round my neck, a pack of hooks, a disgorger, a spare float, line snips, tube of shot in my pockets, a landing net in one hand and rod and reel in the otherand caught more fish than when i've taken more.....

IMG-0526.jpg

This is my usual kind'a amount of gear, although my net is mor often a folding one which clips on my belt when out in the river....

IMG-1206.jpg

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
My 'tip' gear, about as light as l go.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210512_063725.jpg
    Screenshot_20210512_063725.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20220506_162116.jpg
    Screenshot_20220506_162116.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 36

Mountain_picnic_blues

The Darling of Wapping Wharf Launderette
Site Supporter
Not very, even when I try 😂 I have the contents of a small tackle shop... And I still get nowhere near the amount of gear I see some people turning up with haha

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
For the river rod & collapsible net. Terminal tackle in pockets and bait in a bag of bread.

CarpCatcher86

I don't have a photo, but the lightest I ever fish is when dabbling on the river over the road from my house.
There is a small ish slightly deeper very slow moving pool from which I have caught a number of small trout and chub.
The only gear I had with me was a 6ft 3-14g Shimano Catana spinning rod and Catana 4000 reel loaded with 3lb mono, which was already set up with a 4 inch loaded crystal waggler which took three no6 shot and a size 20 Kamasan B911 hook. I also had a small plastic float tube containing two spare floats, a pack of size 20 hooks, a tub of no6 shot, a pair of scissors, a plummet and a disgorger. I had half a pint of maggots left over from the day before, a folding plastic step to sit on and a travel mug full of coffee.

MarkW

Interesting to see the lack of unhooking mats. Two of my local clubs insist they are carried by all anglers no matter whether those affected agree or not.

TiggerXFM

Interesting to see the lack of unhooking mats. Two of my local clubs insist they are carried by all anglers no matter whether those affected agree or not.
I didn't realise you had become a unhooking mat fanatic Mark?

Although you do have a point as there is one person in particular on here who slags me off for not having one, yet proudly shows how little he takes and as you point out....no sign of a mat 🙄.

MarkW

I didn't realise you had become a unhooking mat fanatic Mark?

Although you do have a point as there is one person in particular on here who slags me off for not having one, yet proudly shows how little he takes and as you point out....no sign of a mat 🙄.
I'm not a unhooking mat fanatic but as these two clubs want to enforce the rule it's easier to go along with it.

davej1981

Have done some very light sessions before now. One rod, landing net and a groundbait bucket with a loaf of bread and hooks