How late is too late

Silver fan 82

For Tench?
The past month where I fish has been a bit hit and miss for the Tench fishing. I've caught the odd one last season in October / November, I've heard of them being caught in the depths of winter before.
So in your experience are we near the end of the Tench season yet?

solwood

Site Supporter
I would say they are wiseing up, regularly catch tench in September

First frosts slow it right down but add some sun and they become a target again. Also they become more late evening target/ nocturnal

fasteddy

Many years ago, I was fishing a local lake, early January time, freezing cold, getting a few silvers on the pole. Anyway, wind started picking up, sky blackened, pretty soon full on blizzard, brolly up, pole away, out with the feeder rod, small maggot feeder, single red on hook, 2 bites, 2 tench!
That was a one off, but have regularly caught the odd one through winter and early spring.

squimp

Site Supporter
I’d say it is totally water dependent.

on my (gravel pit) fishery they don’t really get caught after mid October. yet I’ve fished 2 other pits within a mile of here where you catch them right thru the winter (I was roach fishing one and targeting perch on the other). Obviously clement conditions help in the autumn/winter.

They also switch on surprisingly early in Spring on some waters. we used to catch quite a few on Sywell reservoir in late Feb/early March.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Probably up to early November for stillwaters. October can be the best month on one gravel pit I fish. Had a catch of six tench from the Suffolk Stour several Christmas’s ago. Pick your day and Tench can be caught all through the season on rivers. Disclaimer, can be isn’t the same as will be😉😉

Silver fan 82

Hopefully we have a couple of months left yet.
I think the fact that they really switch on come the spring time makes the long wait through the winter more worthwhile.
Have any of you found that different baits work better at different times of the year? I know they can be finicky beggars at the best of times.

davylad

Site Supporter
A few years ago, before "commercial" fishing, you hardly ever saw a tench before May and after September. Nowadays they turn up in the depths of winter, I'm not talking natural venues mind.

Flathead

Site Supporter
Winter can be the best time for Tench fishing on many of the Fenland drains and rivers.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Hopefully we have a couple of months left yet.
I think the fact that they really switch on come the spring time makes the long wait through the winter more worthwhile.
Have any of you found that different baits work better at different times of the year? I know they can be finicky beggars at the best of times.
In the winter anything like maggot,caster or worm are probably the best. Fewer small fish about to hammer the bait before Tench get to it. Caster is my favourite bait for Tench any time of year. Worm is a close second.
I must add. All the winter Tench I’ve ever had have been accidental. I’ve had several winter Tench down the years,thinking back, but I can’t say I’ve deliberately fished for them. They’ve always come whilst fishing for other species. I can think of two separate occasions I’ve had Tench out of out and out Chub pegs fishing for Chub.

Last edited:

Blanks

Site Supporter
About thirty years ago on a canal match in mid winter I caught two tench both about a pound and a half. It was a rock hard day with snow falling, both fell for single red pinkie on a 24 to 0.6 within a few minutes of each other tight to some dead rushes on the far bank. Jammy or what.

Silver fan 82

In the winter anything like maggot,caster or worm are probably the best. Fewer small fish about to hammer the bait before Tench get to it. Caster is my favourite bait for Tench any time of year. Worm is a close second.
I must add. All the winter Tench I’ve ever had have been accidental. I’ve had several winter Tench down the years,thinking back, but I can’t say I’ve deliberately fished for them. They’ve always come whilst fishing for other species. I can think of two separate occasions I’ve had Tench out of out and out Chub pegs fishing for Chub.
I don't really bother fishing for them specifically in winter but this sounds like a good tactic.