How I can waste my day, its easy!

Rick123

I needed some tyres yesterday, I expect it to be two, but the other two had perished in the lock down, so four it was. I visited a place I'd been before, agreed a price, they needed an hour, so had a coffee in the local Tennis club about half a mile away. It cost me £2.50 :eek: but it was worth it watching all the 6' plus stunning girls walking around in tight legging!:devilish: Sorry. Returned to the garage only to find they could not find the cars locking nuts (under the seat) so the saga started again. After half an hour the guy returned saying he could not get the wheel off, as a washer on the nut had come loose, so he could not get a purchase with the wrench??:sleep::sleep: He said they had laid off the mechanic and they could not do the job as they were not qualified to. My next door neighbour had given me a name of a sole trader mechanic, so after speaking on the phone, I popped down to see him, and in 20 minutes he had cut the washer off, and fitted another spare bolt I had. They tyres are going to be fitted next week now. He said give me £10, so I gave him £20 what a save for me.

The guy is a real find, just trading a year, he has a little garage with a ramp and a few bits and does everything. He worked for the council for over 20 years working on the council vehicles, cars, lorries, busses. I'd rather give him my money for a service than Halfords? Do you have days like this, and does your car cost you more than it should due to you knowing nothing about them? Times lost 9am to 1.30pm.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I lost a few days on a car that I dropped into an ATS once when it went in for an exhaust replacement. It was on a swinging arm lift and the mechanic hadn’t set it properly - when it reached the top it jerked and the car slipped off one arm. Big offside bodywork damage. Not a fun day for all concerned.

A good mechanic or garage is a godsend - not long after moving darn sarf we were recommended a local garage and 15yrs later we are still with them.

He starts MOT’s at 5am (does loads of taxi firms) so I can have the cars done and still get to work. You can drop a car when they are closed & post the key for them to sort it out. Prices are a fraction of other garages, he’s kept some of our rolling wrecks running when I thought they were due the last rites. He even lent me one of his own cars for a weekend when he was let down with parts to get mine repaired.

He’s been murmuring about retirement but I hope he’s not thinking too seriously about it.

Rick123

Your right mate. Recently had to take mine to a Citroen dealer, as Halfords could not find the fault. I think it must be £80 an hour or more, but they did find the fault.

John Step

Site Supporter
Waste money on cars huh! It was the story of my life. It started with motorcycles when I was 17. I tried to be mobile when I couldnt actually afford it and had a succession of "bargains" that in effect were other peoples junk.
At 20 I moved onto junk cars and the continual heartache and misery that unreliable bangers bring.
If only someone had taken me aside and advised me to buy a decent vehicle even if it meant having a loan over a long period of time!

It wasnt until I was 40 that I bought the cheapest brand new car I could find and realised how it could be to have something that was reliable.
I never buy a second hand vehicle now no matter how much of a bargain it would seem as there is bound to be a reason why someone has got rid of it.