How has this year impacted on your fishing?

Silure

Site Supporter
When the covid virus started to have effect here in France we all had to fill out a form called an attestation to tell police if we were stopped where we were going as there was only certain places one could visit. shopping for food etc, going to a medical appointment, going to work, or taking exercise but alone. Luckily I have my own lake so could fish whenever I wanted as it was a 2 minute drive from the house. Never stopped by police. After about six weeks the rules were relaxed and we were then allowed to visit other places with 50 kilometre of our residence. well now I could fish loads more venues including ten or so different rivers. As most people in our area stuck to the rules we have very few cases in fact none in our commune of over 1500 people. We have also held a couple of matches on the lake attended by lots of anglers and their followers, followers mostly for the beer, and have also taken part in a number of local matches as well. Fishing matches differ here from the UK in that it is a social event the locals go to watch and expect food and drink. As you can see we put up a couple of marquees and tables and chairs and provide a 4 course meal for anyone paying 10 euros. Wine included. Marquees and tables etc provided free by the commune. Fishing continues the local tackle shop still provides the bait and thankfully life goes on as before the only differance is that we all wear masks and no more kissing of cheeks!
DSCF3769.JPG DSCF3769.JPG

DAMFLASK CHRIS

Site Supporter
During lockdown was fulong for 3 month so joined a new club and fished at least once a week sometimes more Been back at work partime since July so now can only really fish weekends and been trying club matches but still learning how to fish the waters as to sea fishing not been since last year on mersey
learnt Friday will be working Friday to Monday from November so no more weekend fishing for me

62tucker

Site Supporter
For all those who say it hasn’t made a impact but I sure we weren’t allowed to fish for a few weeks ?

Zerkalo

It’s just gone too quick!

We weren’t allowed to fish for a while and then when we were, it was almost river season, and then before you know it, it’s autumn and preparations are already being made for winter. When we have been allowed to fish, lockdown hasn’t had that much effect, I’ve still been working but get quite a few days off to fish.

I can only recall a couple of red letter sessions this year, one just as we were allowed to fish again and I went Roach fishing at a new venue on the back of an Angling Times ‘Where to Fish’ article and caught 13 nice sized Tench on a maggot helicopter rig. I only went to that venue once as it’s a ‘park’ estate lake and has been busy with walkers right along the bank during lockdown, that and concentrating more on rivers since they opened. And another ‘red letter holiday’ at Chard reservoir in Somerset where I had well over 400lb of Bream in 3 days.

Aside from that it’s been nice to meet and fish alongside a few fellow MDs and been a decent if too short year overall. I think one thing that has made it feel even shorter is that the Severn wasn’t fishing particularly well for Barbel at the start of the season and took a month or so to pick up, shortening the summer season even further.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Once it was announced we could go fishing during lockdown, I was like a kid in a sweetshop. Never been so much in my life, although I did spend most of it locally on club waters. Apart from the MD weekend, I only regret not travelling a bit further afield & trying some different commercials or canals.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I cant recollect not being allowed to fish at all ?

only matches being cancelled when lockdown was announced

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I was going slowly hatstand sitting indoors or just walking round the block... once we were allowed to fish I went for it with a vengeance... happily the end of my match fishing career meant that I enjoyed my fishing more... whereas it was always a race to the next fish, I'm happy now with a good specimen or two and then home again... that's just how I like it...

squimp

Site Supporter
My UK fishing hasn't been impacted much as I tend to fish quiet out of the way waters.

One Welsh lake I was going to target was off limits for obvious reasons.

I also run my own fishery so that has provided a local opportunity and I have fished there more this year than ever.

I've been updating my coarse tackle after a self imposed 10 year break and that is still work in progress. But I'm pretty much sorted now. I just have 'old' stuff to dispose of.

I also travel abroad to saltwater fly fish and that has had to stop. I have no idea when I might get back to Cuba or similar....

rd115

Barbus Minimus
Site Supporter
Main thing is being put off stillwaters, with all the bait that's been going in I've not had much success.

Made me resort to river fishing and going after Barbel. Don't think ill ever look back, got the bug now ?

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I'm not a pub goer, I don't eat out regularly and I'm not a recreational shopper. The whole thing has largely passed me by, especially once fishing restarted. I lost a bit of my usual annual period of work and I couldn't go fishing from the start of lockdown until the 11th of May. That caused me to miss about a month of the prime tench time, but I still managed to catch a few above my target weight.

ae111sr

Site Supporter
Since I returned to fishing 12 years ago I've fished by myself so social distancing has not been a problem for me as I enjoy being by myself.

During the first lockdown when you could not travel more than 5 miles I couldn't fish as there is no water close enough to me. When that restriction was withdrawn I've managed to get in 6 fishing sessions since the end of July. I'm a fair weather leisure fisherman and only fish during the week (I'm retired), I leave the weekends to those who can only fish weekends, and I'm not going to put myself into a situation where there are lots of people around me. Now that the my local fishery is in an area that has been locked down for the last two weeks and where I live is locked down for the next two weeks at least, I won't be going out for a while.

I'm lucky to have a back garden so I can get out of the house, just glad I don't live in a flat with no outside space, that would do my head in.

The Runner

Site Supporter
Fishing up here is pretty rubbish March to mid May so didn't miss much there- did lose out late May and June with the 5 mile travel limit, as nearest decent marks are further away than that, so missed a lot of the best time for rays here. Not that I found any later,,,,
Generally been out once and occasionally twice a week since, as normal.
Fish on my own so no issues with social distancing.
Seems to be quite a few more visiting anglers around this year.

feldri

Site Supporter
Haven't been once this year. Usually fish on my own and enjoy my own company but this year the covid has put me right off. Don't fish during winter so the next time I get out for a session will probably be next April. Upside is, all my tackle is spotless, rig trays are full and I haven't had to fork out for bait etc.

rudd

Site Supporter
I cant recollect not being allowed to fish at all ?

only matches being cancelled when lockdown was announced
When we were allowed to go out once a day to exercise for an hour.
Your right, fishing wasnt banned - getting to venue was the issue. ?

DFL

Site Supporter
I’ve only been back fishing for five years now, and now include a bit of lure fishing for bass off the local coast in the last two years.

This year has been the worst without doubt, like you Dave I got Covid, then they shut the waters down, the heatwave in May was an ecological diaster along the Thanet coastline as weed choked everything and still hasn’t dispersed fully. Fishing resumes and everyone decides paddle boarding is the new thing, almost traffic jams on the river which became unfishable after 9am when the hordes started to arrive.

My club has taken on a significant amount of new members, many I would class as not true anglers, leaving their rubbish everywhere and worst stuff too!

Its taken the best part of three months for my lungs to recover from the wretched virus so any fishing didn’t want to be far from the car limiting my choice somewhat. The way it’s going 2021 may not be much of an improvement.?

runningman

Site Supporter
My fishing has suffered this year. I work part time but had to go back full time as we had a shortage of tube drivers.it was only meant to be for 3 months but go extended to 6. My club lakes have become really busy and most of the swims I like to fish are always busy, I go fishing to avoid people not to queue up to get a swim. Manage a couple of days on the Wye but the river was in flood. Hoping to do some quite chubbing on the river hopefully the drop in temperature will see off a few.

Hillswood46

Site Supporter
After 9 years away from fishing I got back just in time for a global pandemic! Got out once but it was badly flooded the mighty Shannon and Suck in Ireland. Ive been buying up the bits I need and watching videos, buying the mail again and joined here. I had planned a weekend in mid Oct but im locked down in Dublin with no end in sight. I hope to get down there in late Oct/Nov but who knows. Have until next Apr/May now to id a proper 12ft feeder rod and a matching reel. Enjoy reading this forum and all the places to fish in uk with it appears easy access not so easy here but likely you wont see another person never mind angler.